Which Pill helps with Cramping?

kandui

Assuming my training is adequate, my nutrition and hydration are ok, what would you recommend against cramps? Sometimes I get them, sometimes I don't. I carry a blister pack of Rennies with me and eat 2 every 2 hours as a preventative measure on long races. I guess the increased intensity during a race increases the probability of cramping with me. Would appreciate some Product names you swear by. Thanks.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rennies are REALLY not for cramping.

Controversial issue, usually Calcium and Magnesium supplement.

Mostly you need more training.

Assuming my training is adequate, my nutrition and hydration are ok, what would you recommend against cramps? Sometimes I get them, sometimes I don't. I carry a blister pack of Rennies with me and eat 2 every 2 hours as a preventative measure on long races. I guess the increased intensity during a race increases the probability of cramping with me. Would appreciate some Product names you swear by. Thanks.

I can relate as a regular cramper, Dr Tim Noakes exercise and more specifically running god reacons there is nothing we can do that is really that effective, as they ( the gurus) don't really fully understand what brings about the onset of cramps. Personally I believe in proper hydration which seems to be the most practical solution. Quite simply stick to water (750Ml/hr) for the most part with a bit of glucose type stuff in between. Frankly if you are taking pills to get through exercise and plan on doing this before starting then you should question what is more important the exercise or your health.

Having tried, cramp block, salt, slowmag and some other pills which I can't recall the names of, the bio k recommended stretching which didn't work either.

They used to hand out these chinese sprays at running races. 1 in a white bottle, another in a red bottle. Yu yu ban I think the name was. That stuff is the only think that worked for my cramping. Spray it on the muscles that are cramping and you good for another 10-20km.

The spray is called - Yunnan Balyao

Edited by lyslexic

USN Cramp Block. They work for me. 1 each night before bed in race week (for the 2 nights before the race), 1 in the morning with pre-race breakfast then one every 2 hours or so. Perhaps every 3 hours for ultra events.

USN Cramp Block. They work for me. 1 each night before bed in race week (for the 2 nights before the race), 1 in the morning with pre-race breakfast then one every 2 hours or so. Perhaps every 3 hours for ultra events.

USN Cramp block works best for me too.... I cramp for nothing, even in my sleep!!!

During a race 2 every 25km!! I swear by it :)

I use USN cramp block as well as Rehydrate in my bottles.I also take Rennies with and start taking if/when the twinges start.

More training in the first place will be the best answer.

Cramping is caused, like many said, by overreaching in training.

Training beyond your muscles' capability.

Slow down when cramping starts.

Pilletjies like Rennies works 'between the ears'.

I'm afraid you assume too much - in my experience (20 years of racing) it is always a lack of training that leads to cramping. The fitter I am the less often I cramp in events. I cannot believe the crap people are prepared to take as a magic potion for cramping. Rennies? WTF?

Farmers put out salt tablets in the field for their cattle.

Buy one of them, put it next to your bed (or couch) and give it a good lick everytime you go past it.......

post-12877-0-74947700-1330418294.jpg