group intensity

cadenceblur

hi all

i wanting some advice from the more experienced riders.

i am starting in group U in this year's Argus , up from SS last year.

what i would like to know is what can i expect from an intensity / pace point of view vs. last year's experience ?

is the riding more structured as in groups etc?

i have heard lots of stories , and admittedly getting a bit nervy at the prospect.

Think in U you will have a choice of riding more structured and harder than in SS. The first couple of guys in the group may go fairly hard and form a little bunch and then grouping together with other little bunches. The further back in the group you start, the less structured it will be. So if you want to go hard, go flat out the first couple of km's to stick to the front guys.

Bunch positioning is key - where you find yourself in the bunch.

Stay near the front as possible, like faniefiets wrote, and draft.

If you feel strong or confident, for a minute or so, move to the front and set the pace, gently so.

The first 30 minute is always jittery with no clear bunch forming at times. And this settles down.

Bunch positioning is key - where you find yourself in the bunch.

Stay near the front as possible, like faniefiets wrote, and draft.

If you feel strong or confident, for a minute or so, move to the front and set the pace, gently so.

The first 30 minute is always jittery with no clear bunch forming at times. And this settles down.

Where is the best place.

Where is the best place.

Depends on your race strategy...

Wear down the rest - bold pacing at the front.

Or survival - just hanging on.

Or somewhere in between.

:whistling:

Thanks for the feedback guys, just dont want to start too "hot" and pay for it later!

It's the easiest thing to do - overcooking before you get to Suikerbossie.

Thanks for the feedback guys, just dont want to start too "hot" and pay for it later!

I am joining you in U bunch. What time are you aiming for?

Depends on your race strategy...

Wear down the rest - bold pacing at the front.

Or survival - just hanging on.

Or somewhere in between.

:whistling:

Sheesh, you sound way too hardcore for me.

Another rookie mistake is to catch a bunch in front of you and slow down to their pace. Rather go past keeping the same pace and if they want to join they must ride at your groups pace k@k them out if they move to the front and slow the pace down. In my opinion the best place to be is the first ten riders don't have the elastic effect, more accidents happen near the middle to back and you can keep an eye on any break aways.

hi all

what i would like to know is what can i expect from an intensity / pace point of view vs. last year's experience ?

i have heard lots of stories , and admittedly getting a bit nervy at the prospect.

Also sometimes guys are late or didnt do seeding rides etc. so if you stay near the front of your group you will probably find a few strong guys just remember dont try and stick with them if they are too strong dont want to bonk at Chappies. Balls to the wall on the downhills passing slower riders but its fun. :thumbup:

hi all

i'm in U follow me (assuming i make the start, some bright spark thought a bachelors was the best carboloading possible)

Edited by SteveCT

aiming for anything under 4 hours - you?

I am aiming for under 3h30. It would take some doing, but if there is a nice bunch its certainly possible. I think the U group bunch will cruise in under 4 hours. Hopefully I can be positioned well to be with the front runners