Tokai Access

(Deon)

Just keep in mind you are paying for access to the parks land (i.e. the mountain), not for access to a bike park... On the logic applied here, why do walkers need a wild card, what is being done for them? In theory the single track is the exact opposite of what they should be trying to achieve with the money they get (they are there to preserve the environment/land, not to make it more fun).

Sorry Edge, but I need to correct you here.

Hikers do not pay anything to enter any Parks land, this has always been the case. The money that is paid for day access is to use the MTB/horse trails or use the picnic/braai facility.

Then regarding the ST and money. MTBing in Parks land is a form of revenue, Parks' job is to ensure it conforms to a sustainable standard that does not impact negatively on the environment. Tokai is and has always been a recreation based facility. You can still see the remnants of the picnic area behind the Manor house, the terraced slopes and tree patterns are still visible. I've also seen a few paintings of Sunday morning get-togethers, seems not much has changed in the last few hundred years when it comes to Tokai's uses, apart from the vineyard and winery which now no longer exist. The cork trees are still there though, I think 3-4 still remain.

Conservation is only now a priority as the threat of losing several species are real, we are working with SANBI to ensure the trails do not affect the restoration or impact on the returning wildlife, so all bases are covered. ;)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

(they are there to preserve the environment/land, not to make it more fun).

Preservation must have an element of utilization. If there are mountain bike trails on the mountain they derive income (Which is SANPARKS primary purpose let's not fool ourselves here) and they have a comunity with a vested interest in the preservation of the area. The environmental impact of a few 30cm wide mountain bike trails is miniscule and what it does is turn everyone who uses the area into an environmentalist.

Ironically Hunters are the driving force behind private game reserves and the preservation of wild animals. If the game farmers weren't deriving an income from the animals being shot you can bet your bottom dollar that land would be used for mielies.

If they stop the utilization of the mountain eventually it WILL be developed into a golf estate or some such thing.

beat you.. mwaah.

..but good point!

Preservation must have an element of utilization...

Edited by Pain or Shine

Guest Omega Man

beat you.. mwaah.

..but good point!

Haha. Was thinking the exact thing.

Haha. Was thinking the exact thing.

Ha, you have a chance of turning the table on the trail.. :P

Sorry Edge, but I need to correct you here.

Hikers do not pay anything to enter any Parks land, this has always been the case. The money that is paid for day access is to use the MTB/horse trails or use the picnic/braai facility.

Then regarding the ST and money. MTBing in Parks land is a form of revenue, Parks' job is to ensure it conforms to a sustainable standard that does not impact negatively on the environment. Tokai is and has always been a recreation based facility. You can still see the remnants of the picnic area behind the Manor house, the terraced slopes and tree patterns are still visible. I've also seen a few paintings of Sunday morning get-togethers, seems not much has changed in the last few hundred years when it comes to Tokai's uses, apart from the vineyard and winery which now no longer exist. The cork trees are still there though, I think 3-4 still remain.

Conservation is only now a priority as the threat of losing several species are real, we are working with SANBI to ensure the trails do not affect the restoration or impact on the returning wildlife, so all bases are covered. ;)

Somethings not right

If we go to Silvermine to run or walk the dog I have to show my card or pay

Somethings not right

Walking the dog will attract fees but hiking is free. Are you driving in or parking outside?

Imagine if there was a ridable route from the point to the cable station? Would that change things in terms of profitability and interest from the public?

I'm walking it in October but I'd much rather ride it haha. As someone who grew up on the peninsula I really like the idea of being able to ride from the point to town off road.

Is it a full hike with an overnight?I think there is a trail run already that does this

Walk I still have to do is the one from Hout Bay to Llundudno all along the rocks.Has to be done at low tide and is apparently quite intrepid.Not for a bike tho.....

Yep it's a multi-day hike with accommodation at SAN Parks camps and access to the Orangekloof permit-only trail up Table Mountain. I've done half of it - the full hike from the point only opened recently. Well worth it - just over 800 bucks for the full hike including accommodation and porterage.

http://www.hoerikwaggotrail.org/hoerikwaggo-trail.html

Somethings not right

The dog is the portion of that equation that means you need to pay. Walking is free. As soon as you take your pup along, pay up.

The dog is the portion of that equation that means you need to pay. Walking is free. As soon as you take your pup along, pay up.

I need to clarify - Yes to walk your dog anywhere in the park requires a dog walker permit. Re entry to Silvermine you are not correct, you need a wildcard or to pay an entrance fee to enter Silvermine as this is a higher order recreational area with braai areas, the dam, boardwalks etc... (much like Boulders, Oukraal and Cape Point)

I need to clarify - Yes to walk your dog anywhere in the park requires a dog walker permit. Re entry to Silvermine you are not correct, you need a wildcard or to pay an entrance fee to enter Silvermine as this is a higher order recreational area with braai areas, the dam, boardwalks etc... (much like Boulders, Oukraal and Cape Point)

I see Red.

Thanks, too cold this morning, brain freeze, forgot the facilities. But hiking in from Ou wa pad and Arboretum is free.

First time I rode at silvermine was 1993! No one knew what a mtb was so you could just ride all over the mountain. As long as you were polite to hikers, no problem. Are you still allowed to ride above Simonstown and red hill to the dams?

How many of you are riding Tokai since 2000?

?????? I thought so

Since 2000 wen it was R2 to enter, nothing much changed, except for the fairy garden.

Stop complaining, and shitting your panties bout wot other people are doing.

Stop acting like a bunch of roadies

Red carpet, dancing girls, free bikes - Tokai is changing..

You probably back the etoll too hey

It was suggested (way back when) that a red carpet and dancing girls should welcome Pain or Shine whenever he arrives on his bike at Tokai. (For blisters and sweat donated building and repairing singletrack and for brainfrazzle caused by negotiating with difficult people and organizations.)