Close encounter with a Black Mamba...

BrianMTB

Had a similar experience on the mine roads near Mooinooi (between Harties and Rustenburg) once. This was a cobra though. I was not paying attention and it was rearing its head by the time I saw it, obviously too late to swerve. I am still not sure whether the snake struck at me, but I hit some part of it with my shoe. Slammed on the brakes. Snake was missing. New shorts needed.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good grief, how far in the field were you ?

Not that far thankfully, it was near the end of the stage. I thought a lot afterwards about what would happen if one was alone far out on a trail with Mamba bite - I guess it would be tickets.

Had a similar experience on the mine roads near Mooinooi (between Harties and Rustenburg) once. This was a cobra though. I was not paying attention and it was rearing its head by the time I saw it, obviously too late to swerve. I am still not sure whether the snake struck at me, but I hit some part of it with my shoe. Slammed on the brakes. Snake was missing. New shorts needed.

Wow! That is close!

I've never heard of anyone being bitten while on a bike - I wonder if it is possible, even if you do run it over?

Not that far thankfully, it was near the end of the stage. I thought a lot afterwards about what would happen if one was alone far out on a trail with Mamba bite - I guess it would be tickets.

Wow! That is close!

I've never heard of anyone being bitten while on a bike - I wonder if it is possible, even if you do run it over?

What I meant was where a bouts in the field were you, I am flippen glad we missed it :whistling:

I would have soiled my bibs six love.

Edited by none

Wow! That is close!

I would say yes if you are going slow enough and you ride over it there is a distinct possibility of being bitten.

Suggest you practise your bunny hopping

What I meant was where a bouts in the field were you, I am flippen glad we missed it :whistling:

I would have soiled my bibs six love.

It was day two, so my guess is somewhere near the back. You were probably already having a beer and taking in the lovely sight of those bike washers :drool:

Edit = typo

Edited by BrianMTB

Wow! That is close!

I think there may be more chance of the bike being bitten. The snake probably wont be able to tell the difference and will go for the closest point - the wheels maybe. Anyway this what I keep telling myself.

Buddy of mine had close encounter with Cape Cobra at Oak Valley, and another friend ran close by a Puff Adder at Lebanon. I'd sh*t myself for sure, so very glad I missed both of them.

It was day two, so my guess is somewhere near the back. You were probably already having a beer and taking in the lovely sight of those bike washers :drool:

Edit = typo

They had me shaking like a honeymoon tril :whistling:

The black mamba (Dendroaspis polylepis) does have a narrow hood, that it can inflate when threatened, alarmed or as a threat display.

The boomslang (Dispholidus typus) also has a type of hood, that it can inflate, often showing a contrasting colour between the scales.

The hoods are not of the classic cobra type, but rather a ballooning of the throat area, with the mamba hood being more pronounced and slightly flatter.

I had to veer my line on the road as a Cape Cobra was suntanning on the shoulder just outside Stellenbosch towards Polkadraai.

I nearly got a snake bite :-)) as it was camouflaged against the tarmac.

It was one big Mamma!

Ran past a Mozam spitting cobra in Groenkloof a while back. It was on the red part of the hiking trail in the "valley floor" area near the tar road.

It must have been next the trail as I just heared a rustle next to me and kept running but looked back to see it rearing up a meter or so behind me.

Tried taking a pic but it was very fuzzy. I keep telling myself it was the low light :P

We see them often in the EMBA routes through the Sugar farms in KZn and also seen a few at Giba Gorge. Friend of mine rode over one coming down the gravity run and just kept riding...

• 2 weeks later...

I was cycling with a mate of mine at Virginia Trails yesterday. About 15 km into the ride, I heard this hissssss sound next to with my mate on my tail. As I look, I just saw this huge black Mamba about a meter from me and with his front body about a meter in the air. Due to the long grass, could not see how long he was, but was about as thick as my wrist. From that sise I presume he was BIG and not something to make friends with. As I went passed, he start sailing in the opposite direction lowering his head slowly. I stopped a few meters later, just to get all my brackets and bearings in order and to make sure my pants is still fine! Lol