What not to carry on a 20-40km MTB ride... less is more!

Caltrigger

1.5L Camelbak with a few stick on patches in holding pocket

Tube and tire lever taped to the seatpost

Small pump on frame

Optional:

Wind/water repellent jacket that folds up small in centre jersey pocket, can be sleeveless too - weather dependent

Energy bar in jersey pocket

Small lightweight cellphone for when I`m feeling brave and riding alone in jersey pocket

BTW this is what to carry...

Edited by Berg Bok

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bunch of Roadies - I never leave home without my 3L Camelbak fully loaded, even if its just taking my 16mth daughter for her weekly spin :)

My list:

Leatherman

Chainbreaker

Tube

Bombs

Pomp (for when the Garden Gnomes ask me for help)

Patch 'n Solution

3L water - always fill it up

Ice packs for water (I like cold water)

Spare jacket

Basic first aid - I tend to fall a lot

Food and snacks

And what ever I forgot to take out of my bag since I last washed it

Most things you'll be able to bum off the next rider. I ALWAYS have a hanger in my saddle bag with a tube, tyre levers, gator, multi tool, and money. In my pockets I have my cell, energy bar, leatherman (small one)

TIG welder just in case....

Seriously what's up with hangup over the saddle bag? You can get some nifty ones that do the job well and look kif.

There can be an issue of having tools etc in your pockets and then landing on them. I heard of someone smashing a vertebrae as a result of a multi tool in a back pocket. Also just pack enough kit to deal with a flat and bust chain (glue less patches for tubes are a waste of time). 40 k's is a walk in the park.

I am actually supprised with people saying what they carry or is this thread just full of the old school guys :thumbup: .

I hesitate sometimes now to ask if people need help as it's getting expensive. Normally it's the guy on a 75km race with no backpack, no tube, no bomb and no beer money etc that has a flat or a broken chain. Unfortunately it is getting expensive to help out. In the old days people always hyunted you down after a race and paid for the tube, or handed your chain breaker back in. In one race I gave away 1 tube and 2 bombs. 2 weeks later I gave away a tube and a bomb. Now a tune is R40 and a Bomb R10, thats R110 and not once was anything handed back etc. I always carry a tube worms AND patches for the just in case. You could just have one of those days like I had the other day riding ont he road with my MTB bike (yip there was the problem ha ha). I got a punture that could not be fixed with a worm or 2 so i put a tube in with gator patch. Then I got another punture, so I had to resort to using a patch.

Basically I pack a small tubbie bag with tools, chain links etc etc then always take a backpack. You can never reply on the water tables, take that one Van Gaalens race where there as a heat wave and they could not get enough water to the tables and people were pouring it over their heads. Half the field nearly went dry......

Oh and don't forget to carry money to buy a beer ASAP after finishing the race... : :clap:

Hi,

I don't know about you guys, but I find that the bigger the bag the more the junk you seem to carry. It is very tempting to pack all sorts of things that are not realy necessary.

Regards

Sarge

What not to carry:

DSTV Decoder

A brick

An ekstra bicycle frame

A bad attitude

A hosepipe

A Lawn mower

I`m sure there is lots more, cant think of everything now...

What not to carry:

DSTV Decoder

A brick

An ekstra bicycle frame

A bad attitude

A hosepipe

A Lawn mower

I`m sure there is lots more, cant think of everything now...

A welding machine!! They pretty heavy.

Most things you'll be able to bum off the next rider. I ALWAYS have a hanger in my saddle bag with a tube, tyre levers, gator, multi tool, and money. In my pockets I have my cell, energy bar, leatherman (small one)

This expectation of help, and reliance on the pockets of others is what forces me to limit help offered to only people I know. Other participants are not the freebie "AA of MTB events" for all the cheapskates and weight weenies.

I am actually supprised with people saying what they carry or is this thread just full of the old school guys :thumbup: . I hesitate sometimes now to ask if people need help as it's getting expensive. Normally it's the guy on a 75km race with no backpack, no tube, no bomb and no beer money etc that has a flat or a broken chain. Unfortunately it is getting expensive to help out. In the old days people always hyunted you down after a race and paid for the tube, or handed your chain breaker back in. In one race I gave away 1 tube and 2 bombs. 2 weeks later I gave away a tube and a bomb. Now a tune is R40 and a Bomb R10, thats R110 and not once was anything handed back etc. I always carry a tube worms AND patches for the just in case. You could just have one of those days like I had the other day riding ont he road with my MTB bike (yip there was the problem ha ha). I got a punture that could not be fixed with a worm or 2 so i put a tube in with gator patch. Then I got another punture, so I had to resort to using a patch. Basically I pack a small tubbie bag with tools, chain links etc etc then always take a backpack. You can never reply on the water tables, take that one Van Gaalens race where there as a heat wave and they could not get enough water to the tables and people were pouring it over their heads. Half the field nearly went dry...... Oh and don't forget to carry money to buy a beer ASAP after finishing the race... : :clap:

+1

MTB is all about self-reliance!

This expectation of help, and reliance on the pockets of others is what forces me to limit help offered to only people I know. Other participants are not the freebie "AA of MTB events" for all the cheapskates and weight weenies.

+1

MTB is all about self-reliance!

Yeah I am also done with helping others. Sometimes I get my stuff back most times not. Tired of carrying all my stuff to give to others. I carry what I need and always feel sorry for guys with mechanicals. From now on I am going to pass them with a smile on my face unless they are flashing a R200 note in the air.

Yeah I am also done with helping others. Sometimes I get my stuff back most times not. Tired of carrying all my stuff to give to others. I carry what I need and always feel sorry for guys with mechanicals. From now on I am going to pass them with a smile on my face unless they are flashing a R200 note in the air.

:clap: