Prof Tim Noakes' U-turn on Carbohydrates

People of the world the noakes diet is nothing but a simple rip off of the paleo diet that has been around for many many moons with great success, even Joe Friel uses it on his national and Olympic athletes with great success. He does modify it a bit simply saying that after a hard work out eat whatever carbs you desire you need it for recovery.

So its kind of the perfect diet, once you have a craving for carbs, go excersize balls to the wall and the have them.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Game

Or just squeeze half a fresh lemon or lime into a tall glass of ice water

Game has lots of sugar in, which is no good. There are quite a few Low / NO-Carb alternative flavourants out there.

People of the world the noakes diet is nothing but a simple rip off of the paleo diet that has been around for many many moons with great success, even Joe Friel uses it on his national and Olympic athletes with great success. He does modify it a bit simply saying that after a hard work out eat whatever carbs you desire you need it for recovery.

So its kind of the perfect diet, once you have a craving for carbs, go excersize balls to the wall and the have them.

Not quit true. The Paleo diet uses lots of carbs still, making it impossible to be fully keto-adaped. I suggest you read the literature fully.

Not quit true. The Paleo diet uses lots of carbs still, making it impossible to be fully keto-adaped. I suggest you read the literature fully.

Correct TW. Covie, go read the chapter from Noakes book properly (Challenging beliefs)

Interesting point for me, i get gatvol of drinking water and enjoy something with some flavour but all the "sugar and other stuff" you find in softdrinks / flavoured drinks is concerning.

What do you drink in place of soft drinks?

I have not cut out coffee, but it has to be the good stuff. A jug of water with a sliced lemon in it in the fridge works very well. I also drink tea, or fresh fruit juices.

I use sweetener, not sugar. If there is only sugar I use brown sugar. i don't like the taste of sweetener, so i use only a little bit. Honey also works well for sweetener.

It is not hard and fast. I cannot stand the taste of diet soft drinks....

I have not cut out coffee, but it has to be the good stuff. A jug of water with a sliced lemon in it in the fridge works very well. I also drink tea, or fresh fruit juices.

I use sweetener, not sugar. If there is only sugar I use brown sugar. i don't like the taste of sweetener, so i use only a little bit. Honey also works well for sweetener.

It is not hard and fast. I cannot stand the taste of diet soft drinks....

Too much fructose in fresh fruit juices. That is a killer.

Brown sugar is till sugar, Cut it out. Same for honey .

Edited by Topwine

Covie apart from the your not so accurate take on the paleo diet, Noakes never claimed to be the inventor of this diet. If i am correct he even states that it has been around and advocated since the 60's (i think). I am not even referring to early man using this tipe of diet

Edited by Jaco-fiets

Covie apart from the your not so accurate take on the paleo diet, Noakes never claimed to be the inventor of this diet. If i am correct he even states that it has been around and advocated since the 60's (i think).

Correct, yes, he emphasized this. Look up banting, even earlier version.

Oh wow a major difference your allowed sweet potatoe in the one but not the other, its a bloody copy cat diet, AndJaco thats exactly what the paleo diet is about eat anything a caveman could get hold off, i.e. no milk no sugar, no wheats, etc. i.e. The "Tim Noakes" diet, he just tweaked it so he cant be sued by the paleo people. Its all the exact same principle.

bottom line is both defy conventional thinking about carbs in athletes doesnt much make a diff if noakes is coining a copied principle.

bottom line is both defy conventional thinking about carbs in athletes doesnt much make a diff if noakes is coining a copied principle.

No, the bottom line is nobody else in the medical profession in SA had the gutts to try and popularise this kind of diet for its health benefits here.

No, the bottom line is nobody else in the medical profession in SA had the gutts to try and popularise this kind of diet for its health benefits here.

This, it seems to me, is one of the major points Noakes actually wants to get out there

In line with everything I have read, Noakes has not ever claimed to have come up with or developed a diet.

He has slated the "atkins diet" a bit not from a nutritional aspect but rather that Atkins took the diet that all dieticians recommended pre 1950's (cited as the Banting Diet) and Atkins called it his own!

Noakes is basically advocating carb free or reduced carb living for people who are/ or think they may be carb resistant and/or at risk of diabetes!

As far as I recall he didn't even call it the Noakes Diet. He just recommended a style of eating for carb resistant people and pointed the reader at more detailed literature. It's not like he is making money every time someone decides to skip a slice of white bread for goodness sakes

Today is my 7th day on keto. Don't know if body in ketosis yet but i dont get anymore cravings during the day. Still train 5 days a week and although endurence and strength is lower its better than expected. I am sure my body still needs to make that shift.

Went for a 2.5hr mtb ride this morning with lots of climbing. Had a couple of almonds before the ride and 1 bottle of water on the ride. Avg haertrate of 146 bpm. I wont lie! It was no walk in the park and i was feeling like blacking out a couple of times but i am still here. I will not race anytime soon and my fitness on the bike is not good, i must add. Slowly getting back into it.

The best part is when i got back home i had a big greasy plate of bacon, eggs, cheddar and mayo and it felt like heaven. Weird to eat food like this and not feel guilty.

I really hope my endurence get better soon but it probably will take another week or 2 for my body to fully adjust. Anyway, just wanted to share my experience so far!

Enjoy the day with the families guys!

Edited by Jaco-fiets

Today is my 7th day on keto. Don't know if body in ketosis yet but i dont get anymore cravings during the day. Still train 5 days a week and although endurence and strength is lower its better than expected. I am sure my body still needs to make that shift.

Went for a 2.5hr mtb ride this morning with lots of climbing. Had a couple of almonds before the ride and 1 bottle of water on the ride. Avg haertrate of 146 bpm. I wont lie! It was no walk in the park and i was feeling like blacking out a couple of times but i am still here. I will not race anytime soon and my fitness on the bike is not good, i must add. Slowly getting back into it.

The best part is when i got back home i had a big greasy plate of bacon, eggs, cheddar and mayo and it felt like heaven. Weird to eat food like this and not feel guilty.

I really hope my endurence get better soon but it probably will take another week or 2 for my body to fully adjust. Anyway, just wanted to share my experience so far!

Enjoy the day with the families guys!

Keep us posted. Have a good one too.