Prof Tim Noakes' U-turn on Carbohydrates

It takes energy to break down the fibre, absorbing some of the energy consumed....at least I think soblush.png

Fibre does not get broken down, it just passes through the digestive system.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guilty as charged.

Then again, I lost 10kgs in the last month, bodyfat down from 18% to just under 10%.

Every meal of mine includes a carb and protein.

Your second point above is one of my concerns, that everybody who is doing this diet now loses so much weight, but how much is due to going on a diet and how much due to the actual diet!

On your first point, out of interest, how much do you weigh and how tall are you? What test was used? 10% is quite low. I'm 189cm and weigh 82kg and my recently tested bodyfat percentage was around 15%.

the only thing making fruit "better" (and I dont really even want to use that word) than the juice , is the fact that they add even more sugar to the juice ! the sugar in fruit is released pretty quickly, enough to spike your BG levels fast.

Fibre does not get broken down, it just passes through the digestive system.

I'll try to find the article explaining it, because I can't seem to explain it properly now.

For example:

When it comes to any sugary product (natural or otherwise), you have usually have a mixture of sucrose, glucose and fructose. Sucrose is digested quite quickly to glucose plus fructose before absorption. While glucose is generally absorbed rapidly, it can be slowed by acidic solutions (e.g. all fruits are acidic). Fructose absorption is a much slower process and doesn’t raise glycemia anyway. The high proportion of fructose in fruit and fruit juice is one reason why they have a low GI. But it’s not the only reason. Very large amounts of fructose (70 g a day or more) from any source can have adverse effects on blood lipids (fats). The old adage applies: enjoy in moderation.

Another point is that fruits have lots of nutrients that we need.

I'll try to find the article explaining it, because I can't seem to explain it properly now.

Andy, do yourself a favour, read that last pdf document I posted earlier in the list of books to read. Then talk to me again. thumbup1.gif

Edited by Topwine

When it comes to any sugary product (natural or otherwise), you have usually have a mixture of sucrose, glucose and fructose.

Sucrose is half glucose and half fructose.

... with the added fructose that we don't need.

Andy, do yourself a favour, read that last pdf document I posted earlier in the list of books to read. Then talk to me again. thumbup1.gif

Sucrose is half glucose and half fructose. ... with the added fructose that we don't need.

I'm busy reading, but remember, you must also read the other sides of the debates and not only post articles enforcing your view. I'm trying to bring balance here.

I don't believe we don't need fructose. The problem has been that we've been getting to much sugar or glucose/fructose.

I'm busy reading, but remember, you must also read the other sides of the debates and not only post articles enforcing your view. I'm trying to bring balance here.

I don't believe we don't need fructose. The problem has been that we've been getting to much sugar or glucose/fructose.

Believe me, I am reading all the time. I have a wife and dietician friends I have to convince !

Show me an article that proves that fructose is needed and good for you !

Edited by Topwine

the only thing making fruit "better" (and I dont really even want to use that word) than the juice , is the fact that they add even more sugar to the juice ! the sugar in fruit is released pretty quickly, enough to spike your BG levels fast.

Watch "the bitter truth" on YouTube. It explains the biochemical pathway of fructose metabolism and why that pathway changes in the presence of fibre.

It also explains the chemical breakdown of glucose and the difference between healthy and unhealthy sugars.

Not really relevant to those wanting to avoid carbs I suppose but I lost 40 kg in two years eating carbs, proteins and fats but cutting out alcohol, sucrose and fructose other than small portions of fruit.

Then again, I lost 10kgs in the last month, bodyfat down from 18% to just under 10%.

Every meal of mine includes a carb and protein.

I would be a little concerned if I were you... 10 kg's of fat amounts to 90000 kCal of energy, which at a high metabolic rate is equivalent to all the food that would be consumed in an entire month...

something doesn't sound right unless you went on a complete fast while still doing 45 minutes of hard training every day.

I would be a little concerned if I were you... 10 kg's of fat amounts to 90000 kCal of energy, which at a high metabolic rate is equivalent to all the food that would be consumed in an entire month...

something doesn't sound right unless you went on a complete fast while still doing 45 minutes of hard training every day.

Good point. Of course most of his weight loss could have been mostly water, as there are 2 molecules water binded to every fat molecule.

Not really relevant to those wanting to avoid carbs I suppose but I lost 40 kg in two years eating carbs, proteins and fats but cutting out alcohol, sucrose and fructose other than small portions of fruit.

The "small" portions of fruit is the key word here ... I also eat small portions of mostly strawberries and other berries.

Edited by Topwine

I eat loads of fruit. Average would be 4 to 5 different fruits a day depending on time of year. I lost 20kg over 2 years and kept it off for 3 years now. Body fat hovers around 12 to 14%. 182cm and weigh 75 to 76kg.

Lots of salad, olive oil, nuts, lentils and veggies. Pasta, rice potato bread. Love it all

No meat, fish or chicken. Some dairy. On this diet I got my cholesterol down to normal levels when it was over 10. Blood pressure went from 150 over 120 to 120 over 80. No alcohol at all ever. Take aways dont feature.

Must be the complete opposite of the paleo diet but it works for me. I rarely get sick. Cycle 12 hours a week and gym 3 hours a week. Have an active job.

Edited by HappyMartin

I eat loads of fruit. Average would be 4 to 5 different fruits a day depending on time of year. I lost 20kg over 2 years and kept it off for 3 years now. Body fat hovers around 12 to 14%. 182cm and weigh 75 to 76kg.

Lots of salad, olive oil, nuts, lentils and veggies. Pasta, rice potato bread. Love it all

No meat, fish or chicken. Some dairy. On this diet I got my cholesterol down to normal levels when it was over 10. Blood pressure went from 150 over 120 to 120 over 80. No alcohol at all ever. Take aways dont feature.

Must be the complete opposite of the paleo diet but it works for me. I rarely get sick. Cycle 12 hours a week and gym 3 hours a week. Have an active job.

Cut more of the fruit, pasta, rice, potato and bread, and you could weigh 72 kg's ! Calculate what that weight saving in cycling equipment would cost ...

I dont want to weigh 72kg. Im 52. I need some fat on me. My friends all think I have cancer as it is. At 72kg my body fat would be below 10%. Silly at my age. Like wearing skinny jeans.

I dont want to weigh 72kg. Im 52. I need some fat on me. My friends all think I have cancer as it is. At 72kg my body fat would be below 10%. Silly at my age. Like wearing skinny jeans.

No skinny jeans but your happy about lycra?

Why silly ? There is many health reasons to be thinner, and many more to eat less carbohydrates. You eat to what your friends think ?