Mosterds to Rhodes Mem Closed

New Landy new life

Been riding this route since 1989 when I got my first MTB - last night as I got onto the dirt just after Mosterds Mill where I find a sign from Table Mountain Parks that no more MTB allowed any further.

The authorities are taking away another of our routes on the mountain :thumbdown:

Does anyone know the reason, and will they be closing all tracks up to the blockhouse eventually?

I must say the sign never stopped me, but I can see an altercation coming in the near future. :angry:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would also like to get reliable info because that is right in my backyard and it makes no sense at all.

maybe we should ask kandui from tableMountainBikerz

rhodes mem is my route to work.... so hopefully it stays rideable

Is that through the turnstile up to RM?

Yep, just after Turnstile.

Tried to pull the sign out but was planted too deep, need to bring a 13mm spanner :whistling:

Sounds like a well thought out idea once again :thumbdown: - Sanparks probably wants to concentrate all mountain biking in the peninsula to Tokai so they can rake in the cash

Tried to pull the sign out but was planted too deep, need to bring a 13mm spanner :whistling:

:excl: Warning.. :eek: All types are listening.

I do hope you're joking with that last sentence there... If not, you deserve a beating. It's attitudes like this that are helping alienate TMNP and the mountain bike community, and your mentality needs a major change if you were not joking.

I do hope you're joking with that last sentence there... If not, you deserve a beating. It's attitudes like this that are helping alienate TMNP and the mountain bike community, and your mentality needs a major change if you were not joking.

Relax, was just a joke

Morning Guys. Just saw this Thread and can tell you the following. There are NO plans to curtail riding on the legal trails on Table Mountain. In fact, I am going out on a site visit with the Head Ranger at 11am this morning to check the spots where I want to put route signage. I am putting together a trail map for the area from roughly Kloof Nek to Rhodes Memorial, with the support of San Parks. I had a meeting with them 2 weeks ago, showing them my proposed trail map and signage. I included trails I knew would be contentious, to make sure I got every last bit in which we can legally ride.

My map included the access point at Mostert's Mill, but San Parks said it was never part of the 2002 EMP for Mountain Biking on Table Mountain. Same goes for a couple of other areas we all ride regularly and the Rangers tend to turn a blind eye.

I can understand the frustration, believe me. The dead end jeep tracks on the City side of Table Mountain are actually also not allowed to be ridden. There are no signs saying so, so how would you know? When San Parks saw the Dead Ends on my map they asked me to remove them, because, once again, they were not part of the EMP of 2002.

But, I can assure you, I am working on getting these bits included in the legal trail network. Once I have the Trail Map printed and the signage is put in, Tread magazine are coming to do a trail review and will give the Table Mountain routes a full page in the mag. This should put a lot more focus on the area and help to get sections like Mostert's Mill and the dead ends added to the network.

I must just add that there is a section of legal trails on Signal Hill which will be included on the map and marked on the ground.

San Parks were not closed off to the idea of other sections being added to the trails, but said that a process needs to be followed. This includes public input from groups such as dog walkers, hikers and other interested parties, so you as mountain bikers need to be prepared to get involved when the time comes. The more public voices are heard on this , the better the chance of us getting more trail to ride.

By the Way. The main marked trail (the Black Route) will be 26km long with 780m of climbing.

Contact me directly at ride@tablemountainbikers.co.za if you're not on my mailing list, send me your name and email address and you will receive updates as and when there is something of interest to report.

Edited by kandui

kandui, if there was ever a person that deserved the label "keep on walking" it has to be you. Persistence in seeing this through is amazing !