XCO getting out of reach of 'joe public'?

NotSoBigBen

For big teams like the spesh team I would think that they should also consider getting the XC boys and girls to have a session or two with the Teams DH boys and girls and see/learn from them how they choose lines and how they approach a technical route.

Same should be considered for our local riders.

Share knowledge and grow the sport.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For big teams like the spesh team I would think that they should also consider getting the XC boys and girls to have a session or two with the Teams DH boys and girls and see/learn from them how they choose lines and how they approach a technical route.

Same should be considered for our local riders.

Share knowledge and grow the sport.

just keep in mind, a DHer for instance, will choose a line based on his/her appreciation of their abilities, and that of their bikes. An XC bike will not necessarily result in the same line. An XCer getting to grips with DH however, will result in larger balls, and thus confidence to attack the rough abit more robustly than they normally would.

oh yeah, what i wanted to really say: trek world racing did that, last season i think? where they had a sort of MMA challenge for their DH and XC team members. Each had to compete in each other's discipline to gain time/points. Team XC won because they killed it in the XC events timewise. That Fluckiger lad did very well in teh DH challenge, adjusting pretty quickly to the style of riding. Wasnt an out and out DH track, but the lad did not embarass himself at all.

Edited by Capricorn

So once you have developed the skill to do that drop it must be a really fun section to do.

It is going to take me a while before I can go down there ... if ever. Maybe it's just the angle of the photo, but it seems straight down, over logs. Respect though :mellow:

Edited by Pronutro

It is going to take me a while before I can go down there ... if ever. Maybe it's just the angle of the photo, but it seems straight down, over logs. Respect though :mellow:

for your first attempt, i highly recommend your lower your saddle. Then have another go with saddle up once you are more familiar with rolling it. This is not necessary, but if it helps the confidence, then it's worthwile.

Edited by Capricorn

Guest Omega Man

just keep in mind, a DHer for instance, will choose a line based on his/her appreciation of their abilities, and that of their bikes. An XC bike will not necessarily result in the same line. An XCer getting to grips with DH however, will result in larger balls, and thus confidence to attack the rough abit more robustly than they normally would.

Burry Stander has a provincial DH title in juniors if I'm not mistaken. And I saw him and most of the fast guys gapping the root stepdown at tokai in the Epic Prologue last year. On 29ers. Those dudes have a HUGE amount of skill and massive balls too.

XC is a "dying" sport in most countries if you compare it to the marathon series available

By making courses 300% "un-rideable" for Joe Average, the course builders will hijack and kill the sport totally in the next couple of years.

The issue is not only that most riders will not negotiate all those "proper Downhill course" sections, but the damage done to bikes that do not have enough suspension travel resulting in crashes, and the possibility of major injuries to the riders due to this inferior XC equipment, makes it totally unattractive for the majority of mountain bikers in SA , and many other riders across the world anyway..

Without a constant inflow of new riders, the sport will lose its status as an attractive mountain bike discipline in the future.

Why don't they create another discipline - like a "imix discipline of XC and Downhill" instead of killing the sport totally, due to these irresponsible behaviors of some course builders,that probably don't realize what they are currently doing to the sport

Its time that the UCI come to their senses, and make XC again proper XC, and then try and attract riders to keep the sport alive

XC is a "dying" sport in most countries if you compare it to the marathon series available

By making courses 300% "un-rideable" for Joe Average, the course builders will hijack and kill the sport totally in the next couple of years.

The issue is not only that most riders will not negotiate all those "proper Downhill course" sections, but the damage done to bikes that do not have enough suspension travel resulting in crashes, and the possibility of major injuries to the riders due to this inferior XC equipment, makes it totally unattractive for the majority of mountain bikers in SA , and many other riders across the world anyway..

Without a constant inflow of new riders, the sport will lose its status as an attractive mountain bike discipline in the future.

Why don't they create another discipline - like a "imix discipline of XC and Downhill" instead of killing the sport totally, due to these irresponsible behaviors of some course builders,that probably don't realize what they are currently doing to the sport

Its time that the UCI come to their senses, and make XC again proper XC, and then try and attract riders to keep the sport alive

They did that here in KZN. They called it Gravity Dice. There was one at Giba and one at Cascades. Event and overall prize money was up for crabs. It died a slow and painful death.

I don't know. A few years ago, actually many years ago, i thought I would do my first XC race at Zewenwagt. Just a lowly provincial race, but man o man, I thought 50% of the course was unridable. Until I HTFU and then it was a breeze. Things have not changed much.

This is a good thing. It forced me to get skills. Sadly I have lost most of them again and now I am a pissy allover again.

So HTFU!!

Burry Stander has a provincial DH title in juniors if I'm not mistaken. And I saw him and most of the fast guys gapping the root stepdown at tokai in the Epic Prologue last year. On 29ers. Those dudes have a HUGE amount of skill and massive balls too.

Our steps in Tokai can hardly be compared to what they have over there.

If we go fast enough we will get down, because it's straight.

The little rock garden on Mamba is the closest to that, and it's only a small drop compared to those steps.

XCO is big in Europe. My guess is that they have a lack of space to do marathon. Also, when I cycled 400km across Germany I saw very little variation in terrain. There was little to no anything 'technical' compared to riding around Joburg. And you can cram in the spectators. It a whole different sport.

Unless your in the ALPS its flat flat flat :)

Whats everyone bitching about its a worldcup course for worldcup riders, will it scare people away, no it wont, you have any idea how many kids are watching redbull insane downhill challanges on youtube right now begging their fathers to go get them a DH rig so they can try it.

all courses are graded mostly according to your skill level, so if your old and decrepid like the rest of us you have the logic to know what level of insantiy your willing to take on. if your young dum and full of cum, youll do a 5m drop without thinking twice becuase your buddy dared you.

Horses for courses, so to speak.

http://www.bicycling.co.za/files/touchline/bicycling/imagecache/slideshow_content_landscape/stairs.jpg

What? ARE you trying to say something in a Picture??? This specific piece is NOTHING... my 10y.o will drop off here 100x's in a row without any issues.

Go for a lap at Thaba with Wendell, you'd *** yourself... it makes this look like a pumptrack..

(I myself do ride thaba with my all-mountain bike....i would hate to go down here with a HT...which may not be a bad idea to get the XCO guys to use different bikes for different tracks)

Edited by TheV

You make a good point...

What? ARE you trying to say something in a Picture??? This specific piece is NOTHING... my 10y.o will drop off here 100x's in a row without any issues.

Go for a lap at Thaba with Wendell, you'd *** yourself... it makes this look like a pumptrack..

(I myself do ride thaba with my all-mountain bike....i would hate to go down here with a HT...) which is not a bad idea to get the XCO guys to use different bikes for different tracks)

Woah, who's your 10 year old? a dh'er?