XCO getting out of reach of 'joe public'?

NotSoBigBen

In my opinion there are 2 things here. The first is that this is not your average cross country but a World Cup and therefore the technical sections need to be of such a standard that they test the skills of these riders so yes, a course like this will be challenging for the average rider but that's why they build in chicken runs. The second thing is that over the past 5 years marathons have taken over as the event of choice by the masses but cross country remains the focus of most professional riders and teams. The courses have become shorter and more technical and the duration of the races has also been reduced to increase the spectator value of the sport.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What? ARE you trying to say something in a Picture??? This specific piece is NOTHING... my 10y.o will drop off here 100x's in a row without any issues.

Your 10 year old needs to offer his services to some of those world cup participants who chose the chicken run (not always due to a log jam - pun unintended - on the log section), and more specifically to the one competitor crashed heavily at my feet at the base of that drop, or the many others who were within an inch of falling hard...

And I'll add my 5c seeing as though money is changing hands here.... it was my first time attending a WC XCO race and I can happily conclude that it was thrilling to watch. We moved around the course, first sitting at the amphitheatre watching the log section shown above, then moved onto the drop off steps, spent a bit of time at the rock garden and then made our way to the finish to see Burry come in. It was brilliant to watch.

I was with guys who compete in the local Momentum Health XCO races here in KZN and we wanted to see these top guys take on the technical stuff. That is what it is all about. We don't want to watch them going around and around a flat smooth track. You want drama. If you wanted to ride that course afterwards there is always the chicken run option, or you could even hop off and walk it if the need arose. Hell, one of the SA guys in PMB did that everytime down the logs.

Whats everyone bitching about its a worldcup course for worldcup riders, will it scare people away, no it wont, you have any idea how many kids are watching redbull insane downhill challanges on youtube right now begging their fathers to go get them a DH rig so they can try it.

all courses are graded mostly according to your skill level, so if your old and decrepid like the rest of us you have the logic to know what level of insantiy your willing to take on. if your young dum and full of cum, youll do a 5m drop without thinking twice becuase your buddy dared you.

Horses for courses, so to speak.

I'll do a 5m drop any day, may even try it with my eyes closed after a few runs, but my buddy dared me to ride the Argus! I must be insane!

Woah, who's your 10 year old? a dh'er?

You would be surprised how much/quickly anyone can improve. Obviously it's all relative to your own personal age and condition. But if you are willing to systematically, and within reason work to improve your own skills over time, then let me tell you, the sky is the LIMIT. Always be safe, careful and realistic, pushing yourself just a little at a time...

Here is a picture of my boy'tjie (9 at the time) on the very top of the Thaba mountain.. this is before the course was completed and it was still unofficially a "DH" section... Wendell has since incorporated this into a main loop on the trail, and it's one of the toughest mtb loops I personally have been on, some of the hills are MADNESS...and flips/switchbacks are crazy.... we have to still dismount on some sections.. but one day we WILL ride 100% of it... (I personally think the Thaba loop is more difficult than Mankele's for technical reasons on certain sections, and even beats it on pure gradient at some stages...) I actually fall backwards on some sections on my AM bike...lol, it's frustrating...

https://cdn.bikehub.co.za/uploads/gallery/album_1020/gallery_25478_1020_30090.jpg

Edited by TheV

I'll do a 5m drop any day, may even try it with my eyes closed after a few runs, but my buddy dared me to ride the Argus! I must be insane!

Tell you what you do the argus on your DH rig next year ill cycle alongside you and will feed you a tot of 21 year old glenmorangie ever kilometer, i promise you at some point the pain wil stop.

Tell you what you do the argus on your DH rig next year ill cycle alongside you and will feed you a tot of 21 year old glenmorangie ever kilometer, i promise you at some point the pain wil stop.

110 tots.. Better buy a DH rig then, you're on!

FAct is, and it might disprove some of the comments here, the tech behind bikes has gotten so good, you can do more on less.

Somewhere here it has been said that course builders are killing the sport. I think the extreme nature of that race is being marketed incorrectly. The tracks designed for the more accomplished rider needs to be advertised as just that. No point inviting Joe to ride a course for Burry, or Emily even, and expect them to be happy having just graduated singletrack riding..

Grade the races!

Edited by Pain or Shine

110 tots.. Better buy a DH rig then, you're on!

FAct is, and it might disprove some of the comments here, the tech behind bikes has gotten so good, you can do more on less.

Somewhere here it has been said that course builders are killing the sport. I think the extreme nature of that race is being marketed incorrectly. The tracks designed for the more accomplished rider needs to be advertised as just that. No point inviting Joe to ride a course for Burry, or Emily even, and expect them to be happy having just graduated singletrack riding..

Grade the races!

i thought 29ers roll over anything... or is it true u cant buy skill? i'm confused.. :(

i thought 29ers roll over anything... or is it true u cant buy skill? i'm confused.. :(

Only over the limp bodies of fallen DH'ers :devil:

Don't be confused, just buy a 29er and feel the marketing!

Edited by Pain or Shine

Only over the limp bodies of fallen DH'ers :devil:

you are on buddy ;)

Don't be confused, just buy a 29er and feel the marketing!

You shuold get into sales. seriously. All this eco-salvation stuff is an insult to your true abilities.

[goes to browse theHub classifieds searching within the horde of 2nd hand 29ers now that 650b is the new 'it'.]

:P

Edited by Capricorn

he he, I blush!

Did I do that??

:blush:

yes, RECANT! before u, (and I), get pole axed on the nearest single track by a 29er sized skewer.. we must resist givin Covie his day!!!!

Covie, pffft.

Seeing the pics of Emily carving the course has me intimidated though. Covie show us your legs, if it compares we might think of slowing down for you..

Covie, pffft.

Seeing the pics of Emily carving the course has me intimidated though. Covie show us your legs, if it compares we might think of slowing down for you..

LOOOL :lol:

You would be surprised how much/quickly anyone can improve. Obviously it's all relative to your own personal age and condition. But if you are willing to systematically, and within reason work to improve your own skills over time, then let me tell you, the sky is the LIMIT. Always be safe, careful and realistic, pushing yourself just a little at a time...

Here is a picture of my boy'tjie (9 at the time) on the very top of the Thaba mountain.. this is before the course was completed and it was still unofficially a "DH" section... Wendell has since incorporated this into a main loop on the trail, and it's one of the toughest mtb loops I personally have been on, some of the hills are MADNESS...and flips/switchbacks are crazy.... we have to still dismount on some sections.. but one day we WILL ride 100% of it... (I personally think the Thaba loop is more difficult than Mankele's for technical reasons on certain sections, and even beats it on pure gradient at some stages...) I actually fall backwards on some sections on my AM bike...lol, it's frustrating...

http://media.thehubs..._1020_30090.jpg

I have improved a lot over the past few years, pretty much coming from the road.

Last year during the exams I hit tokai every day and just rode the ST, now I can ride it all and most of the dh's on my HT, but the world cup circuit is a whole different story.

Anyway, holidays tomorrow :thumbup: will be doing the mast twice every day and then some ST on the way down to brush up.