Muslims riding Sani 2 Sea 2012

Bin Laden

I find these things hilarious.

A few months ago a friend of mine (muslim) found out that the food she had been eating for months wasnt blessed.

It was a mistake but does that make it wrong in the eyes of other muslims.

I would love to know if most of the halaal food actually is blessed though.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not just religious bans, you get vegetarians, etc that also require special dietry requirements, I get why religions ban certain things, i dont get why someone down want to rip of the horns of a cow wipe its ass and put it on his plate. That defies logic,

However its their choice and their lifestyle so let them be. I dont need to understand why they do what they do.

Me - I'm all for choice - if you want to eat anything you like thats great....as long as it doesn't infringe on other people's lives.

I love red meat but some of my friends are veggiemites so when I have dinner at their place I eat veggie - no problem. I adapt. I fit in. They have a problem eating meat at my house - I need to serve veggies when they come round. Ironic aint it.

I once ate with my hands at an indian friends house - i didn't enjoy it - all that crap under my fingernails and such but I did it and would do it again if asked to. I fit in.

It never seems to work the other way around though...

Thats why i prefer the old gods.Thor,Woden........Not miserable gods intent on punishing you and making your life a misery

Good call!

This "I must suffer to show my god that I am good" sentiment blows my mind. Surely your god wants you to be happy? If a little piece of pork puts a smile on your face why would a god want to deny youo that pleasure? Because 1000's of years ago it was difficult to preserve pork and eating it made you sick?

Dear gods,

Times change, preserving technologies change, write us a new book with practicals rules and I will be your supporter.

Love

Eldron.

Diabetics should HTFU too! This is a society that loves sugar. Similarly, those with lactose-tolerance hassles! Don't get me started on people who have issues with gluten.

Thats why i prefer the old gods.Thor,Woden........Not miserable gods intent on punishing you and making your life a misery

Bacchus was pretty cool.

Last year, the meat sponsor was Karan Beef. Their products are Halaal. As for the preparation of the food, it is done by parents and teachers from the schools that benefit from the race.

Excuse my ignorance, but can someone please explain to me what the requirements for Halaal is?

http://www.unichef.com/halalfood.htm

Some of the ideas make sense - no garlic or onion if you're going to the mosque. Thats a great idea - I'd happily adopt that at my place of work.

"that which dies of itself" - good in principle - i can see the merit in not killing animals for food. The downside is that stuff that dies of itself normally dies of disease etc. which is a health risk.

Geez, a fellow MTBer asks a civil question about something that is of concern to him and gets blasted by some. Intolerance of others needs is regretable, especially as his are not obscure nor petty.

Diabetics should HTFU too! This is a society that loves sugar. Similarly, those with lactose-tolerance hassles! Don't get me started on people who have issues with gluten.

Rare beef gives me sufficient gas to power a small town. I love rare beef. I demand rare beef. My partner demans his own tent.

Needless to say I don't eat beef during stage races. Sani2c being the exception - the beef on Day 2 was AWESOME.

I left the tent flap open that night.

Here's an interesting quote:

Quran 2.173[4] which states:"He hath only forbidden you dead meat, and blood, and the flesh of swine, and that on which any other name hath been invoked besides that of Allah. But if one is forced by necessity, without wilful disobedience, nor transgressing due limits, then is he guiltless.

I'm guessing Sani2C not providing approved food would be a necessity - surely the eaters are off the hook then? Guiltless in the Quran's words...

Hi Everyone. Topic opened again. Acted more on gut feel withouth thinking it though. Apologies.

I'd suggest moving it to the training and nutrition area, and performing deletes on all political/racial posts, no matter how tongue in cheek they might be. Also, this was discussed before, and I will try find the old thread and merge.

This is the kind of stuff that just opens religion to ridicule:

Popeye's Chicken in Ontario is halal-certified, however, a legal dispute broke out between a group of 14 Muslim franchisees and the chain over the company's decision to use machine slaughtered birds. The 14 Toronto area outlets are instead using hand slaughtered halal birds and are suing the company so that they can continue to do so.[11]

Call me shallow but is a god really going to get miff if your chicken is hand or machine killed. C'mon man.

Me - I'm all for choice - if you want to eat anything you like thats great....as long as it doesn't infringe on other people's lives.

I love red meat but some of my friends are veggiemites so when I have dinner at their place I eat veggie - no problem. I adapt. I fit in. They have a problem eating meat at my house - I need to serve veggies when they come round. Ironic aint it.

I once ate with my hands at an indian friends house - i didn't enjoy it - all that crap under my fingernails and such but I did it and would do it again if asked to. I fit in.

It never seems to work the other way around though...

Hmm, I think maybe you are looking at it from the wrong angle Eldron, following a special diet or ensuring food is of a certain order is not done to please your God, its to reaffirm your connection with your God, and to remind you that you are constantly connected to your God by (for eg) the blessing of your food, or not eating certain foods and so on, its a bit like prayer, prayer doesn't change your God, it changes the person who prays.

I thinkthe OPs question is valid and he obviously is quite keen on doing S2C. I dont see the harm in the organisers providing a request to a minority. If the organisers cannot grant such a request I an sure the OP will make his own arrangements or just not enter. The sport has a diverse following and the organisers of events surely take note of that and thus cater to those needs to attract more entrants and ensure the continued success of similiar events across the country. Cycling and alot of popular mainstream sports are part of the culture and history of Muslim communities across the world especially in this country. Look at the Two Oceans who specifically cater to Jewish and Seventh Day Adventist runners by having a seperate race the Friday to attract runners of all religions. Even in cricket a sponsor like Castle makes an exception not too have their name on Amla's jersey as it does not conform to his religion. If they had insisted on it surely he would not play for the Proteas. My 2c

This is the kind of stuff that just opens religion to ridicule:

Yeah, but the OP was simply asking for training advice based on their belief. I'm appalled that no-one wants to answer that, but ridicule the beliefs.

I thinkthe OPs question is valid and he obviously is quite keen on doing S2C. I dont see the harm in the organisers providing a request to a minority. If the organisers cannot grant such a request I an sure the OP will make his own arrangements or just not enter. The sport has a diverse following and the organisers of events surely take note of that and thus cater to those needs to attract more entrants and ensure the continued success of similiar events across the country. Cycling and alot of popular mainstream sports are part of the culture and history of Muslim communities across the world especially in this country. Look at the Two Oceans who specifically cater to Jewish and Seventh Day Adventist runners by having a seperate race the Friday to attract runners of all religions. Even in cricket a sponsor like Castle makes an exception not too have their name on Amla's jersey as it does not conform to his religion. If they had insisted on it surely he would not play for the Proteas. My 2c

Like I said, this was discussed before, although more in reference to a muslim cyclist training whilst fasting.

It's (to me anyway) not a place to start bashing if or why they should be fasting.