Muslims riding Sani 2 Sea 2012

Bin Laden

Yeah, but the OP was simply asking for training advice based on their belief. I'm appalled that no-one wants to answer that, but ridicule the beliefs.

Agreed, asking here was his first mistake. He should have just emailed farmer Glen.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, asking here was his first mistake. He should have just emailed farmer Glen.

Hey, hey, hey bru, I take a moerse offense, I suggested that first :ph34r:

They accomodate your eating requirements for sure but I suggest you get a proper chainguard so your dress thingy doesn't get caught in the big blade.....

Even in cricket a sponsor like Castle makes an exception not too have their name on Amla's jersey as it does not conform to his religion. If they had insisted on it surely he would not play for the Proteas. My 2c

Slight hijack, but what the hell... oops...

I found that story quite interesting for two reasons. One, he doesn't want the sponsor on his jersey, but indirectly (directly?) he gets paid by them through the sponsorship money. Double standards? And two, the Muslim player from Australia whose name I can't remember didn't have a problem with the beer's logo on his shirt.

Not stirring, just thinking out loud.

Can the OP perhaps post the reply from the organisers?

Couple of reactions:

Special dietary needs = legitimate enquiry;

OB Laden = not a good name to promote the muslim point of view from;

"I fit in, why cant they" - errr mostly "they" do, only you cant see it because ummm..... they're fitting in.

Lots of people are making accommodations everyday to this (male)WASP-run society.

Last year, the meat sponsor was Karan Beef. Their products are Halaal. As for the preparation of the food, it is done by parents and teachers from the schools that benefit from the race.

Excuse my ignorance, but can someone please explain to me what the requirements for Halaal is?

Halaal meat or chicken is merely slaughtered by reciting a prayer before slitting the animals throat as opposed to meat in a normal abbatoir where animal is killed by a blow to the head with a pressurised gun. The Halaal slaughtering is a more humane way of slaughtering the animal. Other Halaal products such as gelatin containing goods have no animal based products in them.

Hey, hey, hey bru, I take a moerse offense, I suggested that first :ph34r:

eish sorry man, didn't read the whole thread!

Halaal meat or chicken is merely slaughtered by reciting a prayer before slitting the animals throat as opposed to meat in a normal abbatoir where animal is killed by a blow to the head with a pressurised gun. The Halaal slaughtering is a more humane way of slaughtering the animal. Other Halaal products such as gelatin containing goods have no animal based products in them.

Right, right I get it now, pretty much like a little bit of C4 strapped to the chest.

@LuckyLuke, I forgive you mate :thumbup:

I'll do the same, or get my Teammate to do that, and will keep you guys informed!

Slight hijack, but what the hell... oops...

I found that story quite interesting for two reasons. One, he doesn't want the sponsor on his jersey, but indirectly (directly?) he gets paid by them through the sponsorship money. Double standards? And two, the Muslim player from Australia whose name I can't remember didn't have a problem with the beer's logo on his shirt.

Not stirring, just thinking out loud.

Can the OP perhaps post the reply from the organisers?

From watching interviews with Amla concerning his religion he is a devout Muslim and surely he gets paid from the cricket board and not Castle. As to the Australian, there are Christains, Jews, Muslims, Hindus etc who do not conform to the rules of their religion. Its a humanity problem that we at times bend or ignore the rules to suit ourselves.

One, he doesn't want the sponsor on his jersey, but indirectly (directly?) he gets paid by them through the sponsorship money. Double standards?

Not double standards because he doesn't get paid by and out right refused the money from SAB.... He is however sponsored by a soft drink franchise, Cape Town Based called "Jive"....

By the way, I am a muslim.... And it is sad the way Islam is portrayed in every aspect by the media, not going to dwell on that" all I want to say and agree with Grumpy Old Guy is that doing things in the way that our god commands us to brings us closer to him and safeguards our place close to him in the eternal paradise..... this place/life we are in is a temporary abode we all have to pass through and trying to live your life as best you can increasing your nearness to the almighty is the best thing you can do in my opinion....

I apologise if I offended anybody in anyway with my comments....

Kind Regards....

Edited by Buzzman

That I can understand but surely there need to be some practical limitations? When it becomes impratical or difficult or impacts negatively on other people's lives then surely you can compromise? Making other people's live difficult becuase YOU want to reaffirm YOUR connection with God counts as selfish in my book.

I am sure the OP does not intend to make the organisers job more difficult by requesting the Halaal meals. Its at the organisers discretion whether he will comply or not. It was a request not a demand. Religion is as such a voluntary submission not a burden. . Ask any devout Christian, Jew or Muslim etc and they will say that following their religion makes their life better and its not a burden to carry.

Is there any Muslims riding or have ridden Sani 2 Sea?

Basic concerns are about Halaal meals.

edited by SB

One of the great things about Sani is how they accommodate the local community, all the food is prepared by locals, the local muslim community is involved in the catering and serve you desert on one of the stops. I'm sure they accommodate halaal if you ask them.

I have some specific dietary requirements too and the catering crew are always fantastic.

I hear you, but I guess we could say the same about vegans or those who dont eat dairy or gluten products, for them its important, I think organizers of events today understand the diversities they need to deal with, I would be surprised if they didnt cater for these needs.

My problem is that I'm just too much of an engineer/scientist for the world :wacko:

Medical problems I can understand - if gluten/meat/dairy etc has a negative effect on your health then yeah you are forced to find alternatives / ask the organisers to make special arrangements or make your own arrangements.

Veggiemites are a tough call because eating meat itself doesn't have an adverse effect except on their emotions and conscience. I'm tempted to say HTFU - 200g of cow will not destroy the world. I don't like tomato so I skip the salad - if you don't like beef - eat my salad :devil:

My only real beef (bwaahahahaha) is where the limitations are enforced emotionally from books where the text has been interpreted into hard and fast rules. Then those rules get enforced on other people who have to scurry around trying to find alternate suppliers etc and incurr extra costs to appease the minority.

Farmer Glen would probably makes some mountains a few metres higher if riders asked him to - what an awesome guy. Sani2c has my vote as SA's top stage race.

Fast Food Friday baby - I look forward to it every week.

I guess I just like don't people messing with my life mission statement - live your life whatever way you want - as long as it doesn't negatively affect other people's lives.

I am sure the OP does not intend to make the organisers job more difficult by requesting the Halaal meals. Its at the organisers discretion whether he will comply or not. It was a request not a demand. Religion is as such a voluntary submission not a burden. . Ask any devout Christian, Jew or Muslim etc and they will say that following their religion makes their life better and its not a burden to carry.

Now this is a post with impact :thumbup:

One of the great things about Sani is how they accommodate the local community, all the food is prepared by locals, the local muslim community is involved in the catering and serve you desert on one of the stops. I'm sure they accommodate halaal if you ask them.

I have some specific dietary requirements too and the catering crew are always fantastic.

Now this is a response that was to be expected from early on and not the bashing of hubbers as portrayed in the thread..... Thanx and well done..... :thumbup: