Will I be able to cycle again?

Sepia

Hi, i fractured my t7 vertebrae almost three weeks ago, doing a stupid headplant at groenies. It hurts like hell,Im stuck in bed for two months, and i wont be able to cycle for 6 months. But...i will cycle again, nothing will stop me from getting on my mountainbike again. Dreams of harkerville, tokai, magoebaskloof and even the thought of riding a basic jeep track keep me inspired! Dont let anything stop you from riding again!

When I broke the same bone in Jan 2011 my surgeon also said I could never run again or MTB - only road cycling.

I have been on my MTB since June 2011 and getting stronger each day.

The muscles weaken on the broken side and your opposite leg will get stronger to compensate - but now the right leg is catching up again.

I was yesterday given orthotics to compensate for leg length difference and I hiked up to the blockhouse yesterday evening with my daughter and it went so well I feel like a new person.

There is hope at the end of the tunnel mate.

Physio therapy is an essential part of the recovery after orthopaedic surgery. It is often unpleasant but worth it.

I fully agree with you on that one.

My dad had a shoulder replacement recently. he did the Physio exactly as he was told, even worked in extra sessions himself. his recovery was cut in half due to this, his arm was outta the sling in 2 weeks and he has full range motion of the shoulder.

So the OP must make sure what he will be able to do and what not, and then just commit. And ,most importantly is to remain postive and focussed as well. This is more a mental thing than anything else

Hi I am not an orthopedic surgeon ,but do know a little something. I cannot see the fracture line in those X rays , but usually with a neck of femur fracture your most dangerous complication is avascular necrosis of the head of the femur. The blood supply to the head of the femur runs in the neck of the femur - Take it easy at first !

Your second considerations are range of movement and possible arthritic changes in the joint. Pain will be your answer. If it is very painful-Don't push it ! There is a reason for you to have pain.. You could do more damage. If the pain responds to anti inflammatories it should be a good sign - The pain is probably due to inflammation and less so due to structural damage.

Hope it helps !

Gee Guys, many thanks for the response! I did not think I would get a response.

I think I must have posted this post when I was on a downer.

I will be back on my bike and I have subsequently upgraded to a new set of tubeless wheels and tires. Softer pressure will enhance the comfort and safety.

Guess I will have to start taking the chicken runs now and approach my cycling differently and no more balls to the wall.

My road bike is now on my trainer in the sitting room and it is a matter of time……..

I stopped painkillers after two days in order for me to be aware of my situation. It is not easy, as the pain can get intense. Staying alone does not help either.

Thanks again for your input and time. It certainly alleviates the depression of doing nothing.

Hope you get back out there, man.

Recover well.

Self-belief in your recovery is very important.

Gee Guys, many thanks for the response! I did not think I would get a response.

I think I must have posted this post when I was on a downer.

I will be back on my bike and I have subsequently upgraded to a new set of tubeless wheels and tires. Softer pressure will enhance the comfort and safety.

Guess I will have to start taking the chicken runs now and approach my cycling differently and no more balls to the wall.

My road bike is now on my trainer in the sitting room and it is a matter of time……..

I stopped painkillers after two days in order for me to be aware of my situation. It is not easy, as the pain can get intense. Staying alone does not help either.

Thanks again for your input and time. It certainly alleviates the depression of doing nothing.

Awesome, dude. Just a bit of advice - don't be a hero on the painkillers thing. They serve a very big purpose, and can in fact help recovery in the long term. Just perhaps wean yourself off rather than stopping altogether. Yes, no painkillers mean that you will know every little thing that goes on, but at times that can be more traumatic (from a psychological sense) than anything else.

Sitting with this problem at the age of 58 due to MTB crash at speed.

Doc does not want to give me answer. (The fact that the doc did not go the whole hip is encouraging)

Anybody else had this problem and could give me hope?

Jeez, I would hate to have to give up cycling.

My pal who is in his fifties broke his femur badly at the last J2C.He persevered and will be doing it in April

Another pal and I (60)had full hip replacements and are riding again.I even tried a game of squash......I think I'll give that a miss tho.Muscles were not ready.

Get on the indoor trainer and work at it

Just remeber that the painkillers also have anti-inflamitory included in them so you may need them at least for a week or two after the Op.

Hey, this is a cycling forum. Want to know about bicycles, then ask away.................medical questions are best dealt with by doctors. If your doc won't commit, go to another doctor for another opinion.

Imagine you end up in a wheel chair for life because "the Hub" has told you that you can still cycle.

Hey, this is a cycling forum. Want to know about bicycles, then ask away.................medical questions are best dealt with by doctors. If your doc won't commit, go to another doctor for another opinion.

Imagine you end up in a wheel chair for life because "the Hub" has told you that you can still cycle.

Obviously, and thanks.

Just needed to know if other guys have had the same problem.

This has been explained very nicely indeed and to keep me positive.

Be greeted all.

Went through the exact same thing 7 months ago. Was on crutches for 12 weeks, 8 weeks non weight bearing and 4 weeks half weight bearing. Was able to cycle on the IDT at 3 weeks and the road 3 months. Cycling is easy, walking is more difficult. Floyd Landis won the TDF after a break like this and Alexander Vinicorov had the same break last year and competed again in 4 months.

Avascular necrosis is only a concern if the fracture is close to the head of the femur. Yours is probably a subtrochanteric fracture which is why they used a dynamic hip screw. If it was closer to the head they use 2 or 3 screws.

Do the excersises the physio gives you and as soon as you can have full weight on the leg go see a biocinetisist.

You will definately be able to cycle again, in the mean time you're going to catch up on a lot of day time tv. Hope you that helps.

Went through the exact same thing 7 months ago. Was on crutches for 12 weeks, 8 weeks non weight bearing and 4 weeks half weight bearing. Was able to cycle on the IDT at 3 weeks and the road 3 months. Cycling is easy, walking is more difficult. Floyd Landis won the TDF after a break like this and Alexander Vinicorov had the same break last year and competed again in 4 months.

Avascular necrosis is only a concern if the fracture is close to the head of the femur. Yours is probably a subtrochanteric fracture which is why they used a dynamic hip screw. If it was closer to the head they use 2 or 3 screws.

Do the excersises the physio gives you and as soon as you can have full weight on the leg go see a biocinetisist.

You will definately be able to cycle again, in the mean time you're going to catch up on a lot of day time tv. Hope you that helps.

Many thanks Besso, and to all the other helpful and understanding Hubbers I am weight bearing already although still on crutches. Can't wait to get back on the bike.

Much appreciated once again and grateful thanks.

Its like breaking a tooth cusp.

It gets a rebar and rebuilt.

From that dayon, you chew on the other side .. only.

Then one day, you break a tooth on the other side.

you are 58

nothing lasts forever

listen to a good doctor

myprodols work better with red wine

Good to see u recovering mentally. There is no doubt that you can ride again physically you just have to decide if it is worth it.

I am recovering with a plate and a pin in my pelvis after being knocked off by a car. I have other interests in life and still have to decide whether cycling is worth putting my body on the line for, or take it as a message and pursue other (less dangerous) activities!

Time will tell.

PS I am 60

Edited by Wobbles