Argus Expo & Polar

smerds

I noticed a long queue at the polar stand at the Argus expo ..... what is the big deal .......?

No free stuff, I took my heart rate monitor in to have it serviced and new strap fitted, after half an hour received a SMS to say it was ready for collection. Fantastic service. Well done guys. :clap: :clap:

No free stuff, I took my heart rate monitor in to have it serviced and new strap fitted, after half an hour received a SMS to say it was ready for collection. Fantastic service. Well done guys. :clap: :clap:

Did you pay the same for the service and strap at the expo or did you get a special price?

Did you pay the same for the service and strap at the expo or did you get a special price?

No there was no special price. It was just a service Polar offered at the expo.

The big advantage is that the unit is serviced there and then. Usually it gets sent to Joburg and you wait a week or 2 to get it back. We have our HR straps checked and batteries replaced every year. If your HR strap needs to be replaced, they give you a trade in discount on the old one.

Yep conveniance is what they selling.

I would usually book my unit in via a sportsman warehouse in CT to be shipped to Joburg and back.

Its very annoyning though that a simple battery change on my watch is not allowed to be done by yourself, when questioned it was explained that they do a water sealant test afterwards. :eek:

Because there is no authorized dealer except in Jo'burg this and the 2 oceans is the only opportunity to have batteries changed and equipment checked without being without you watch for a week. No special prices, freebees etc.

After reading the above bit of nausea, i'm glad I have the RCX5. none of this BS about sending either the strap or watch away for a simple battery replacement. I understand that no one's simply going to buy a new toy for the sake of convenience:not advocating that, but boy would that run around grind the crap outta me. I mean, how many athletes arent there in the cape? Why cant Polar pull finger and have multiple service centers around the country. Honestly?

The guys in Midrand are very good. They've helped me out a couple of times at short notice with batteries, missing screws and stuck buttons etc, but then I've always actually gone there and asked - because it's local for me. I appreciate that not evryone can do that.

it the repairs that the people want to have done to their units before the race (and they know they would wait a while if they sent it to their head office)

As I said to FRAIL at the polar stand - one word, GARMIN :thumbup:

After reading the above bit of nausea, i'm glad I have the RCX5. none of this BS about sending either the strap or watch away for a simple battery replacement. I understand that no one's simply going to buy a new toy for the sake of convenience:not advocating that, but boy would that run around grind the crap outta me. I mean, how many athletes arent there in the cape? Why cant Polar pull finger and have multiple service centers around the country. Honestly?

sent mine in the first time the battery died... two weeks and R200 something for a battery change. wtf?

i've since replaced the battery on my own. batteries are readily available (CR2032 or something) at R30 bucks a pop.

still... queued up at the expo to get a new strap though... :whistling:

yes you got free stuff :whistling: a free polar zip bag thingy :D

i've since replaced the battery on my own. batteries are readily available (CR2032 or something) at R30 bucks a pop.

4 screws and a CR2354 battery for the 720/725 series. You may have to ask your favourite battery shop to order you the battery. Wynberg and Noordhoek Pharmacy do carry them in stock.

Don't get a 2032 unless your are changing the wearlink sensor.