How do I climb better

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The initial question Richard asked was: "I seem to climb at around 7 k/h on longer climbs, how can I get better physically? I do the position on the seat etc. my legs just don't want to allow me to keep the cadence high even in granny gear". I gave advice based on the question at hand. Sure, body position is important to prevent rear wheel loss of traction on loose or rocky climbs - Richard's question clearly suggests he knows about body position on climbs. His question related to his inability to maintain a high cadence (ie. lack of strength and fitness) and never about a lack of technical ability.

Your analogy of this discussion being a fistfight "take it on the chin" is misguided. I disagreed with some of the suggestions (including yours) and have already explained my reasons for this. Feel free to disagree with my suggestions. The fact that you misconstrued this as "a Mod making it about himself" is ironic: your direct attack on me have made you the "Mod making it about himself" and highlights a clearly fragile ego.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/06/11/article-0-054BD83F000005DC-981_233x423.jpg

Come and climb with me I will prove you wrong.

Secondly ,Slowbee posting stats and crap here deviates miles away from what the OP asked.

Lastly, many of us gave good constructive advice, you actually still need to come to the party.

Umm, once a week, sometimes less, sometimes twice. :mellow: - Gym / biokinetics twice a week.

I have 2 kids under 3yrs of age and the wife and I both work, so time is few I'm afraid.

Unfortunately you are unlikely to improve a whole lot with the amount and type of training you do. You can surely build some good strength in your legs but endurance will be a problem.

You must decide if its worth focusing on intensity sessions with the time you have available - you will not enjoy training a whole lot.

With limited time available to you weight loss (if practical) is your best option to increase climbing VAM ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity_Ascended,_Metres_per_hour ).

Use the time you have on a bike.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/06/11/article-0-054BD83F000005DC-981_233x423.jpg

Come and climb with me and I will prove you wrong.

I am sure you are a strong climber. Challenging me to come climb with you won't prove anything. At last year's Magalies monster, Clarens MTN and Sabie MTN marathons less than a handful of riders overall managed to outclimb me for overall top five positions...which one were you? My workhorse bike is a steel rigid singlespeed - I'd much rather prefer having a beer to discuss all the other benefits of single-speeding.

Umm, once a week, sometimes less, sometimes twice. :mellow: - Gym / biokinetics twice a week.

I have 2 kids under 3yrs of age and the wife and I both work, so time is few I'm afraid.

Sorry Richard, but once or twice a week, while better than nothing, will never make you much stronger on the climbs.

I am sure you are a strong climber. Challenging me to come climb with you won't prove anything. At last year's Magalies monster, Clarens MTN and Sabie MTN marathons less than a handful of riders overall managed to outclimb me for overall top five positions...which one were you? My workhorse bike is a steel rigid singlespeed - I'd much rather prefer having a beer to discuss all the other benefits of single-speeding.

On the contrary it will.

My workhorse is also a rigid steel single speed.

Hi all,

How does crank arm length affect climbing ability ?

Obviously the longer the more leaverage you get, but at what point does this start to become an issue with regard to a person's physical attributes?

Mtbvip apologies did not see your reply to my post untill today. So it caused a bit of a spat.

And I (midpack roadie ) was dishing out advice to people who know more than I do about the subject.

Have the contest , have the beer , have a good laugh afterwards.

Here are the graphs from the last two sessions. I got sick between them, so they are a week apart.

Two things have started to happen since embarking on this exercise. One, I feel like my legs are going at a faster cadence, meaning I am spinning more than grinding and grunting up the hills. Two, I am not getting as tired and "feel" like I am getting stronger and more in control of the pace.

My legs still get sore, but not that painfull that I dont feel like I cannot walk the next day, and it is easy to ride again. My confidence in taking on climbs is getting better. Yesterday was the first time in 3 years I was able to "spin" to the top of the one hill. As TNT1 and others have said, perhaps I am not doing it correctly, cause I have not seen white dots for a while, but that I will try tomorrow.

You will notice on the seccong one there is no "middle flat section". The wind was blowing and I chickened out. Yes I know chicken and all. Dont rub it in.

post-2696-0-89162000-1335250888.jpg

post-2696-0-26350500-1335250896.jpg

Seems like I was the only tool doing repeats at Northern Farms yesterday?

Richard, where were you???

:lol:

Hi all,

How does crank arm length affect climbing ability ?

Obviously the longer the more leaverage you get, but at what point does this start to become an issue with regard to a person's physical attributes?

As far as I know, the shorter the crank arm, the better for climbing.

Determining your best length is based on your bike set up which is also, in part, informed by your body stats.

Is this thread still going? It's not really rocket science and I still think it's being overcomplicated. The short answer, in my opinion in any case, is that there is not short cut, no pill, no magic horse pee, nada, nothing. No offense, but I would guess that most people here on the Hub is not pro enough to warrant really serious training methods like what has been mentioned in this thread.

Climbing is about pain. Period.