Absa Cape Epic Stage2 : 119km, 1650m

rouxtjie

Question: I see a lot of the pro-teams had at least one member riding with a Go-Pro (during prologue and stage 1 anyway). I'm guessing a GoPro doesn't weight very much, but since the riders are so weight conscious why are they riding with them?

Was wondering the same thing...

Heard that originally the first few teams in were asked to wear them, they said that if they were to be 'disadvantaged' with the weight then the same should go for the top 10 teams... Then they complained about the same thing... now it's filtered down to the Top 20!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is that most of those are non finishers from yesterday or non-starters this morning. If you can make it to day 3 (not counting the TT) chances are you will finish barring a mechanical or other unfortunate incident.

I have seen the majority of riders in the past pull out from day 5 onwards.

Massive, I think tomorrow will play a huge role (mentally and physically)

This much is true.

Lekka location :thumbup:

Heard that originally the first few teams in were asked to wear them, they said that if they were to be 'disadvantaged' with the weight then the same should go for the top 10 teams... Then they complained about the same thing... now it's filtered down to the Top 20!

Thought is might be something like that. Wonder if they "ching chong chai" for who gets to ride with it?

At least we get some cool footage afterwards.

You think then that they could pack a spare tube for that last option ...

James Reid is having 2x10 'problems', can anyone help?

@davegeorge101: Anyone know what the smallest 120bcd (SRAM double) chainring is available? Looking for 36 for @james_reid01

ok, so a few thoughts.

As Ratty mentioned plenty no finishers. All that money POOOOF! gone. That must be the single most expensive one day race ever. Cant put my finger on it, but something is out of kilter here.

That photo of the woman walking with her bike, forces me to ask why ? Why make something so hard that you have to walk. If only the pro's can ride it, then only the pro's should be allowed to ride.

The other thing, will a little go pro make such a difference to a rider that they will feel disadvataged ?

ok, so a few thoughts.

As Ratty mentioned plenty no finishers. All that money POOOOF! gone. That must be the single most expensive one day race ever. Cant put my finger on it, but something is out of kilter here.

That photo of the woman walking with her bike, forces me to ask why ? Why make something so hard that you have to walk. If only the pro's can ride it, then only the pro's should be allowed to ride.

The other thing, will a little go pro make such a difference to a rider that they will feel disadvataged ?

The riders can carry on riding, just won't get a finishers medal, and if they miss the next day/'s cutoff then.

You're out!

Edited by Zac.A

ok, so a few thoughts.

She's the leading lady.

ok, so a few thoughts.

That slow fellow is a question many of us have asked, numerous times.

But I guess in order to get you to where they want you, sometimes they just have no choice.

Edited by HairySack

ok, so a few thoughts.

I suppose thats life. Last year we had to write off over R2million in aborted projects. This year we are working on a R2bn deal. If it comes off we've got enough work for 10 years. If it doesn't we'll have to write off another R4million.

Most of the guys on the dnf list trained hard and invested heaviky in the event. I see quite a few on the list who has completed at least 1 Epic.

Maybe their equipment let them down, maybe they had a terrible day on the bike. Maybe they had to withdraw due to injury. This happens even on the easier events out there.

The reason riders are barred from continuing after 2 defaults is primarily for their own safety.

The race is designed to be the ultimate challenge and although its open to every one to enter, not everyone is meant to finish the race. You know very well that between 12 and 25% of the field will not see Lourensford when you enter. I think its a fair attrition rate for something this tough.

I get the idea going from team names that some people in business (corporate or their own) brainstorm doing the Epic and sponsor themselves from the Advertising & Promotions account, and some then get in over their heads, drop out. Of course others train properly and do the distance.

Organisers don't mind I am sure, probably have factored that into the cost of the logistics, which reduces as teams drop out. All seems super organised but also super commercial, given the non stop plugs to sponsors on the PA on the live streaming.

Hats off to all competitors, eish that heat and dust not for me.

ok, so a few thoughts.

Last year there were a lot of people (including those who have done the race before) who claimed its a "Plot" by the orgainisers to eleminate 1/3 of the field in the first few stages.... Somewhat hard to believe imo

Dont be fooled by someone walking, one little mistake on a steep climb and it can be difficult or to much effort to get riding again. Its quite easy to make a mistake or two on epic type courses....

Edited by SwissVan

What i dont get is how few celeb riders if any are DNF. Granted a lot ride with a seasoned rider as a partner but they still have to put in 100% effort same as everyone.

Hats off to all competitors, eish that heat and dust not for me.

My second Epic we bombed through the Karoo in bunches, my fork had more stiction than Dirk Diggler attacking a Lifesaver sweety.