Absa Cape Epic Stage2 : 119km, 1650m

rouxtjie

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stage 2 is on SS now :clap:

Impressive. Even Dangle wasn't nuts enough to do this ride on a SS.

I get the idea going from team names that some people in business (corporate or their own) brainstorm doing the Epic and sponsor themselves from the Advertising & Promotions account, and some then get in over their heads, drop out. Of course others train properly and do the distance.

Organisers don't mind I am sure, probably have factored that into the cost of the logistics, which reduces as teams drop out. All seems super organised but also super commercial, given the non stop plugs to sponsors on the PA on the live streaming.

Hats off to all competitors, eish that heat and dust not for me.

Nooit bru? hows your logic?

Logistics get cheaper, how is that, surely they have to assume they need to prepare and have infrastructure for everyone to complete the event?

Do you mean us to think they call in their contractors and tell them to fetch a couple of porta potties and extra tents and now they are saving money?

Logistics get cheaper, how is that, surely they have to assume they need to prepare and have infrastructure for everyone to complete the event?

I'm pretty sure that some number cruncher has worked out an attrition rate, and with the money involved, they factor it in.

Of course, I'm probably the most cynical human alive now that Carlin is dead.

Edited by TNT1

There are other factors, last year on stage two I was watching and met these two people from the Holland who pulled out on stage 1 reason....... snowed too much in Holland and couldn't train. Now there are things as indoor trainers and spinning bikes but I think alot of overseas people dont do enough homework about the epic and under estimate it.

Nooit bru? hows your logic?

Here's my thinking V: Less people in the race as it goes on, less people to cater for in every way, less expense - maybe its not a big factor but no doubt they have got it factored into their financial model. The whole event is a whittling out process, maybe 25%+ don't finish? Add to the stature & prestige of the event. Bit like US Navy Seal Training, there something like 25% who start get through the basic course.

But not often amateurs and plodders can cycle with the pros. Although there does seem to be less XC and other worldly pros this year. But loose some, gain some. Alain Prost, that's great he is doing it and that he is a mtb'er. Check out the movie "Senna" if you don't know who he is.

Here's my thinking V: Less people in the race as it goes on, less people to cater for in every way, less expense - maybe its not a big factor but no doubt they have got it factored into their financial model. The whole event is a whittling out process, maybe 25%+ don't finish? Add to the stature & prestige of the event. Bit like US Navy Seal Training, there something like 25% who start get through the basic course.

But not often amateurs and plodders can cycle with the pros. Although there does seem to be less XC and other worldly pros this year. But loose some, gain some. Alain Prost, that's great he is doing it and that he is a mtb'er. Check out the movie "Senna" if you don't know who he is.

He is more of a roadie.

Alain Prost, that's great he is doing it and that he is a mtb'er.

He appears to be in pretty good shape.

http://cdn4.media.cyclingnews.futurecdn.net/2012/03/27/2/ace2012gb_stage2_382_600.jpg

how does the epic compare to the transrocky/alps/andes etc races. I recall TitusTi once saying that those races are a touch more technical, and what we regard as challenging single track is what they warm up on.

Anyone know someone who has done both ?