Another site to consider for those that shop online

Pure XTC

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycle/

Consistently match or are cheaper (except on sale or clearance then it’s a lottery) than chain reaction cycles - see a few comparisons I did below.

I know everyone uses Chain Reaction or at least recommends it but trawling around the Interweb I saw this and thought it might be useful to others as you never know when you might strike a deal. Some may know of it already bt to those that like saving a few bob it's worth a check out. I did a comparison on a few generic items and the prices speak for themselves.

Wiggle = Free delivery available on all orders excluding bikes, frames and indoor trainers (trainers can now be shipped overseas and at the same cost as a bike) on orders over £225.00.

CRC = offers FREE SHIPPING to any destination in South Africa on orders over £225.00 GBP. *Excluding complete Bicycles or similar sized large packages.

COMPARISON

Shimano XC50 Mountain Bike Shoes CRC - £89.99

Shimano XC50 Mountain Bike Shoes Wiggle - £74.99

Shimano XT Cassette 10 Speed M771 CRC - £51.99

Shimano XT Cassette 10 Speed M771 Wiggle - £46.03

Thomson Masterpiece Setback Seat Post CRC - £105.99

Thomson Masterpiece Setback Seat Post Wiggle - £97.49

Maxxis CrossMark 62a CRC - £34.99

Maxxis CrossMark 62a Wiggle - £29.99

Edited by Pure XTC

you should also not forget the weekly discount vouchers that CRC (and Evans) offers, either 10% off, £10 or £15 off depending on what you buy. Somehow after regular comparison I usually go with CRC who is mostly cheaper than Evans, Wiggle, Total Cycling, High on Bikes, Planet-X.

Its all a matter of finding who has what you want at the best price.

Small items are rarely bought locally to save the effort of waiting and vat clearence etc.

Edited by Li Mu Bai

"Its all a matter of finding who has what you want at the best price".

Tru, shop around and find out what's the best price you can find, then see what your LBS can offer.

• 2 months later...

Don't use Wiggle, they suck.

It has taken over 2 months to complete an order (Well, almost- still waiting for the one XT hub)

Dealt with CRC a few times and really happy. Ordered a camelbak running pack from Evans and wow it was here in about 10days with the free postage to my po box, no vat or customs issues (I know thats a gamble) but I'm impressed.

Wiggle and Evans have realised that they need to up their game if they want to exist in the same world as CRC.

But neither have the range that CRC has. Their prices are sometimes better though...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cycle/

Consistently match or are cheaper (except on sale or clearance then it’s a lottery) than chain reaction cycles - see a few comparisons I did below.

I know everyone uses Chain Reaction or at least recommends it but trawling around the Interweb I saw this and thought it might be useful to others as you never know when you might strike a deal. Some may know of it already bt to those that like saving a few bob it's worth a check out. I did a comparison on a few generic items and the prices speak for themselves.

Wiggle = Free delivery available on all orders excluding bikes, frames and indoor trainers (trainers can now be shipped overseas and at the same cost as a bike) on orders over £225.00.

CRC = offers FREE SHIPPING to any destination in South Africa on orders over £225.00 GBP. *Excluding complete Bicycles or similar sized large packages.

COMPARISON

Shimano XC50 Mountain Bike Shoes CRC - £89.99

Shimano XC50 Mountain Bike Shoes Wiggle - £74.99

Shimano XT Cassette 10 Speed M771 CRC - £51.99

Shimano XT Cassette 10 Speed M771 Wiggle - £46.03

Thomson Masterpiece Setback Seat Post CRC - £105.99

Thomson Masterpiece Setback Seat Post Wiggle - £97.49

You can also try R2 BIKE - Even cheaper then CRC, Wiggle & Evans. Only 35 Euros for worldwide delivery with DHL. There price for the XT Cassette is 54 Euros. I was put onto them by my bike mechanics :thumbup:

Or you can walk into your local CWC and get them for £31, have a coffee while they are being put onto your bike and ride out!

Edited by Tankman

Or you can walk into your local CWC and get them for £31, have a coffee while they are being put onto your bike and ride out!

Any plans to open other branches of CWC so we can all benefit from this? Its a long way from Durbs to pop in for a coffee :whistling:

My guess is Jhb before the last Outpost. We just need to convince a family member that life away from the Mountain is not so bad after all...

Evans also promises to beat any price. Combined with the free DHL shipping, this can be quite a bargain for those urgent, end of the month bike bits orders.

I probably wouldn't buy anything from any of them that isn't on special or where I've been sent a voucher of some form. CRC especially has enough of a range that there is always an alternative on special if the item you wanted isn't discounted enough. If you shop around you can find better prices on specific individual items (I've personally only bought from Total Cycling, CRC and E-bay), but if you need a range of items, it is not often that there is anywhere better than CRC. I'm sure you could find 100+ items with cheaper comparative prices if you really wanted to (you chose to post 3 very random items for whatever reason - I'm sure I could pick 3 that would show the opposite result very easily too). It's the same as people post lists of items to prove CWC is cheaper - they definitely have some cheaper products and I would definitely include them as a place to look when shopping around, but they are also definitely not always cheaper than CRC (or many others).

Went there once. Last time I'll do that. Service was worse than any other bike shop I've been in.