Need some roadie help plz

Grondpad

OK, I am a mountain biker that sometimes run and swim (I had to get the MTB’r part in).

Seeing that I am doing more and more triathlons I want to get a road bike. I have decided on either the Trek 2.1 or the Trek Madone 4.5.

They are both spec’d exactly the same except that the 4.5 has a carbon frame and seat post. I took both of them for a spin today and I really like both but the 4.5 does feel a bit more responsive (that is a big word for a mtb’r without any roadie experience). I enjoyed climbing on both of them and most of the reviews on the net are very positive.

I can get the 2.1 for 9K and the 4.5 for 15K.

Now my question is if I should go for the 4.5, spend the 15K and ride as is, or go for the 2.1 and spend the extra 6K on a better wheelset? Will I actually get a good wheelset for 6K? Keep in mind that the bike will mostly be on a trainer in the winter, used for Olympic triathlons, hopefully the Ironman next year and do the odd Sunday ride.

I would go for the 4.7, purely because it is carbon and looks much nicer. Are these bikes new? I'm not used to Trek being reasonably priced, they are normally hideously expensive.

dude, go carbon!

4.5 in my opinion.

If it feels better, go for it!

and get some deep sections for the triathlons at a later stage!

Over a 180km ride, the carbon bike is the one to go for, lighter and will offer more comfort resulting in less energy spent.

For R6k you can get a decent lightweight wheelset but that is not what you need for IM & triathlons ... you need a deepsection wheelset and they are in the R10k plus range.

I think you need to look at the total budget for the bike, not to knock the brand I think the trek is over-priced for what you are getting, last year I was offered a Specialized s-works SL 3 brand new for 17 K

I went for the BH RC1 for 12.8K, not pushing the brand but the 4.5 as I understand is not a top end carbon bike.

I would get a carbon bike but if you are gonna do tri's you probably want a deeper section wheel

I think you get good value from road bikes like ScottCR1, Giant TCR.Its also easier buying a road bike off the hub compared to an MTB which may have taken a pounding

I also regard myself firstly a MTB but there is something to be said for, riding in a group in a road race, that you wont experience on a MTB, where its more you against the terrain

Road biking is quite addictive get the best frame you can afford and a good groupset like Ultegra. a decent wheelset would weigh between 1500-1600g for a normal clincher wheel, anything lighter and the price curve starts going haywire

look at Mavic Ksyrium sl 1480g probably new around 7-8 grand. Easton 70 range around 4.5 grand but heavier and more training wheels

Just looking at the bike in the ad 17.5 K for a carbon bike with 105 group you could get a lot more bike second hand

anyway just giving you some start points to consider

I think you need to look at the total budget for the bike, not to knock the brand I think the trek is over-priced for what you are getting, last year I was offered a Specialized s-works SL 3 brand new for 17 K

Are you talking frame here or complete bike? Because the S Works SL3 frame was discounted from R26 to R17 000 late last year.

look at Mavic Ksyrium sl 1480g probably new around 7-8 grand.

Ksyriums have got very poor aerodynamics compared to other high end road wheels, not a good choise for TTs.

Good day Grondpad,

I just recently picked up the 2.1 from The Sports Basement and I'm very happy with my purchase. The price there was the limit of what I wanted to spend and I consider the acquisition to be somewhat of a bargain with the free helmet thrown in (I got the Rudy Project Zuma). However my intended usage is purely recreational/fitness so I do not have the same requirements as you.

I just wanted to point out that the specs you posted for the 2.1 are a bit inaccurate. The crank is not a triple but a compact Shimano 50/34. The cassette is a Tiagra 12-30 and functions very well. Those who are more in the know can comment on whether the compact crank would be suitable for your needs. The fit is also H2, not H3 which is the more relaxed fit.

Good luck with your quest.

OK, I am a mountain biker that sometimes run and swim (I had to get the MTB’r part in).

Seeing that I am doing more and more triathlons I want to get a road bike. I have decided on either the Trek 2.1 or the Trek Madone 4.5.

Why don't you just keep the mtb, and do all the off road type duathlons and triathlons? There are plenty? Save the money. I see even Rodney Green is trail running now...

If you must unload your hard earned dollars on a bike for triathlons, search the classifieds, there are always very good, very cheap tri bikes for sale by people who tried the same thing you are doing. See what I did there with "tri-ed"...

Are you talking frame here or complete bike? Because the S Works SL3 frame was discounted from R26 to R17 000 late last year.

Yes that was for a frame last year from Bridge cycles

Why don't you just keep the mtb, and do all the off road type duathlons and triathlons? There are plenty? Save the money. I see even Rodney Green is trail running now...

If you must unload your hard earned dollars on a bike for triathlons, search the classifieds, there are always very good, very cheap tri bikes for sale by people who tried the same thing you are doing. See what I did there with "tri-ed"...

Problem is that very few triathlons and duathlons in the R of SA are non-drafting events. Tri/TT-bikes, 3 or 4 spoke, tri-bars, solid disks are all banned in the majority of local races

They are both spec’d exactly the same except that the 4.5 has a carbon frame and seat post. I took both of them for a spin today and I really like both but the 4.5 does feel a bit more responsive (that is a big word for a mtb’r without any roadie experience). I enjoyed climbing on both of them and most of the reviews on the net are very positive.

I can get the 2.1 for 9K and the 4.5 for 15K.

Now my question is if I should go for the 4.5, spend the 15K and ride as is, or go for the 2.1 and spend the extra 6K on a better wheelset? Will I actually get a good wheelset for 6K? Keep in mind that the bike will mostly be on a trainer in the winter, used for Olympic triathlons, hopefully the Ironman next year and do the odd Sunday ride.

Go second hand - you'll get a much better bike..