MTB brake lever orientation

Gluteus Maximus

MTB brake lever orientation  

241 members have voted

1. 1. MTB brake lever orientation

• Front brake Right; Rear brake Left
    • Rear brake Right; Front brake Left

I don't get the "I'm right handed so I want my stronger hand to handle the rear brake"?

Most of you stopping power lies in the front brake!

I am right handed and I want my stronger hand which I have more control over, to handle the important brake, the front one!

So when the crap does hit the fan and I grab a fist full of brakes, I have the dumb (left) hand grab the rear brake.

Its easier to feather and control the front brake with your strong hand and much more forgiving with your dumb hand on the rear! :D

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you want your stronger hand on the rear brake? it only skids

its the only theory i have for riding the breaks on my bicycles diff to my motorbike , makes no sense but it how i do it and have for 20 years.

Standard in Europe (same as motor bike) but there is no standard in SA, I have mine opposite to the European setup.

I've hardly ever seen a new bike in the shop with the front brake on the right here (Switz)

My preference RH = Front

Brain is conditioned to it from motorcycle riding days.

Also dont get the "my left / right" side is stronger theories, imo its more like an automatic reaction thing....like which sock do you put on first in the morning (Ja check it out next time...)

same as the motor bike and i'm also left handed, probably comes down to personal preference and no particular advantage which goes were ...... as long as you dont get it wrong by slamming on the front brake .......

I've hardly ever seen a new bike in the shop with the front brake on the right here (Switz)

My preference RH = Front

Brain is conditioned to it from motorcycle riding days.

Also dont get the "my left / right" side is stronger theories, imo its more like an automatic reaction thing....like which sock do you put on first in the morning (Ja check it out next time...)

You're not one of those weirdos who does one sock, then one shoe, then the other sock and shoe, are you?

Also a leftie on the back break, but, while I think I get more control with this setup, I seem to bang away at both of them without really thinking about it

You're not one of those weirdos who does one sock, then one shoe, then the other sock and shoe, are you?

Also a leftie on the back break, but, while I think I get more control with this setup, I seem to bang away at both of them without really thinking about it

No not that weird, my procedure is quite logicaly actualy.

1. When awakeing, feet on floor, bum on side of bed.

2. Brain flash - Am I

a. getting up

b. just going to the fridge, loo, etc....

3. If (a) then its socks on, most times the right foot first, but no I dont really care which foot gets socked or shoed first.

4. Shoes only go on when I'm ready to leave home.

:whistling:

Definately rear on the left. Got a new bike recently and was setup wrong way round to start. First ride, into a nice steep corner, instinctively grabbed the left and did a superman. Have changed it to the correct way now.

Haha, did exactly the same thing. Took 5 minutes to figure out why I had fallen so spectacularly. For some crazy reason I have left them the wrong way around and have gotten used to them that way.

Have commuted by both motor cycle and bike, and have never-ever got confused by having opposite brake levers.

Bit of a doff argument to me. Be like saying 'well I couldn't change gear because I was scared of pulling the front brake'.

Hardtail - Front left, rear right. Softy - the other way around.

Strongly considering standardising it as I often grab a hand full of the wrong brake...

Just changed my levers around. Seems my brakes reservoirs can be rotated with the release of a little screw, so I moved them around. Now right is front, left is back.

Just changed my levers around. Seems my brakes reservoirs can be rotated with the release of a little screw, so I moved them around. Now right is front, left is back.

Just don't forget when you try it out.

Why do you want your stronger hand on the rear brake? it only skids

Exactly what I was thinking. Stronger hand should go to the brake with the most stopping power. The front.

Check most of the pictures of the pros, rear is on the right, same as the gears- front dérailleur left, rear on right. Logical! Although my track bikes are set up differently!

Just don't forget when you try it out.

ROFL. No chance of that happening... I've also moved them inboard so I can do single finger braking. Looks strange with bars that are only like 620mm wide...