Trail running good for cyclists?

was thinking about that! saw somewhere that one should never stretch a "cold " muscle?

Modern view on warm-up stretching: Easy warm-up run, followed by dynamic stretches then workout follows by cool down run/static stretches.

Obviously this is a bit pointless if you just go out for an easy run (most of running workouts are these), so just ease into the run. and do some stretches afterwards.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Modern view on warm-up stretching: Easy warm-up run, followed by dynamic stretches then workout follows by cool down run/static stretches.

Obviously this is a bit pointless if you just go out for an easy run (most of running workouts are these), so just ease into the run. and do some stretches afterwards.

that is true.

I can't find the publication but part of my work require that I read science publication and I remember one where there where tests done with 3 groups of top athletes. One group stretch before, one after and group did not. The groups where rotated over a of time. The results where interesting and controversial. The group that stretched before sprinted slower compared to when they stretched after of not. it also noted that there where less injurious for the group when they did not stretched at all.

I don't think this is really applicable to joggers because we don't really over train as top athletes are in risk of. But it was clear that overdoing things is not a good idea and that stretching before can be very bad.

Edited by Hannes Zietsman

@ cadenceblur - If the running does not work out for you try training with some guys who play underwater hockey in your area! Training is in a pool with maks & fins. Great cardio as well as muscle workout without straining your knees and/or ankles.

that is true.

I can't find the publication but part of my work require that I read science publication and I remember one where there where tests done with 3 groups of top athletes. One group stretch before, one after and group did not. The groups where rotated over a of time. The results where interesting and controversial. The group that stretched before sprinted slower compared to when they stretched after of not. it also noted that there where less injurious for the group when they did not stretched at all.

I don't think this is really applicable to joggers because we don't really over train as top athletes are in risk of. But it was clear that overdoing things is not a good idea and that stretching before can be very bad.

I think that could have been in Mens Health.

Amazing that this 'new' method of warming up has only hits the mainstream now. The running coach I've used to guide me back from the couch has been following this method since 2008 when I joined up with him. Definitely not something new to those 'in the know'

So, I did my first trail run/walk this morning! felt great. feeling a bit "battered " but will hopefully not be too sore tomorrow.

Keep up it! Just allow your body to adapt and recover, even if it means running every second day, or only twice a week. Just keep at it every week.

Keep up it! Just allow your body to adapt and recover, even if it means running every second day, or only twice a week. Just keep at it every week.

yeah, thanks, my feet (metatarsals) have taken a bit of a beating, so will take 2 days off to give them a break

@ cadenceblur - If the running does not work out for you try training with some guys who play underwater hockey in your area! Training is in a pool with maks & fins. Great cardio as well as muscle workout without straining your knees and/or ankles.

This is just an opinion, but I'm sure I've heard it mentioned somewhere before, but I have an idea that this lack of impact is sometimes the precise thing that causes issues. Again no scienitific substantiation here but I was under the impression that human bones need a degree of impact to strengthen. Total lack of any impact has an affect on bone density.

It is for this reason that running can benefit cyclists. Cycling is a low impact sport.

Trail running will also strenghten your ankles over time. This is a part of the body that is "fixed" while cycling so gets little working over.

Feel free to correct these comments with science if necessary.

yeah, thanks, my feet (metatarsals) have taken a bit of a beating, so will take 2 days off to give them a break

Massage the bottoms of your feet by rolling them over a tennis ball ;)

After building a solid bike base in December/Jan I started training for the 1st XCO race of the seaon and got injured and from there I have only been trailrunning. I'm up to 26km now as my longest run and will be doing the Magalies Mayhem 3 day trailrun in the beginning of May at Van Gaalen's.

As much as I love cycling there's just something about moving along the trails using only your feet, no fancy bike tech getting in the way.

any advice on how i should build mileage? did 10km as a start on Sunday, granted was a mixture of walking and running, just finished 7.5km today. i am thinking of doing 10km again this Sunday or should i push for some more?

Take it easy! Pushing too hard with running bites much harder than cycling. Rather try an extra run a week until you run/walk every second day, or try to keep the frequency the same, allow for recovery, and try to run more and more to the point where you run the whole (or most of) distance.

Do not increase mileage by more than 10% a week (rule of thumb)

Have a look at some beginners 5/10/21 km programs on www.runnersworld.co.za to see how slowly they build mileage

NO.

Running just killed my cycling partner.

He went for a run this morning and died of a heart attack. He was super fit and a bloody strong runner. Good cyclist too.

RIP Etienne, gonna miss you buddy

NO.

Running just killed my cycling partner.

He went for a run this morning and died of a heart attack. He was super fit and a bloody strong runner. Good cyclist too.

RIP Etienne, gonna miss you buddy

Sad to hear King_Crispy. Condolence to you and everybody else that knew him.

Makes me think of MarkStockton, he also left at a peak of his fitness/training

:(

Running will certainly improve your cycling, but don't overdo it. It made Etienne a much stronger rider, couldn't understand where he got his strength from

Be cafeful of lingering injuries though

Edited by King_Crispy

I did the Silva trail run tonight at the MTN Bike Park, don't know about improving my cycling but I do know I was poked at the end!