sani2c - newbie questions

-Gazza-

I did the Trail this year which was amazing, my partner was a machine and we ended up 6th overall, but my question is...now that I have done it, apparently it's easier to get in next year, however does anyone know if I can change races and enter the Adventure next year?

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I missed the BOE photographs at the finish of day 3. Anyone know where I can get hold of them?

What a great race. Did the Adventure with a friend who had done it before with his wife so we started in G I must say I agree with some of the coments here that some people have to brush up on their technical skills. Past alot of riders and started second day in B my partner held us back to conserve energy (thankful now) and after the Nandos water point we started pushing the pace had a great day and started in A for the last day. Then its just balls to wall on the last day and we eventually ended 34 for the adventure. Felt sorry for the guys coming in at the back of the field on day 2 the look on their faces when they see you lying on the Itconnect beanbags with a beer in your hand is priceless, come on guys put in the training and you could also been there.

I will do it again in about 2 - 3 years time and again the adventure the race seems too serious and the trial not enough LOL.

Also I hear the adventure consumed the most beer and bought the most trees well done guys.

Great vibe great organisation and great track makes for a great three days, thanks Sani worth every penny.

Great ride there, Ceres! :thumbup:

I missed the BOE photographs at the finish of day 3. Anyone know where I can get hold of them?

I would also like to get the answer to this question? We went to collect, but they didn't have our photo's available.

i put M on entry process but had no kit in my box. Got L jacket at the end and am waiting for L aca joe to be sent to me but unfortunately could not change my aca joe t shirt to L - it fits ok but would prefer a L so if anyone wants to swop a M shirt for a L in kzn (durban/pmb area) - id be happy to swop

I did the Trail this year which was amazing, my partner was a machine and we ended up 6th overall, but my question is...now that I have done it, apparently it's easier to get in next year, however does anyone know if I can change races and enter the Adventure next year?

Sorry we kept calling you Ben!! Hahaha

Well done Flymango - Kudus to you for completing the race and to everyone for toughing it out.

I don't have too much to moan about - even in the race in the more competitive groups, technical skills can be lacking - It is frustrating to sit behind someone slower that you in the singletrack, but even more when these guys fly past you on the uphills. It's the nature of singletrack either descending or climbing.

Well done everyone for making the event special. Who else got delayed yesterday at King Shaka trying to make it to Cpae Town? at least Kulula got all the bikes and bags to CT in one go

From what I hear, Mango was very unprepared for all yhe bikes. Lets hope that the Farmer and Supergroup can come up with an innovative solution for the flyers next year.

The Cyclelab service seems expensive and after seeing how the bikes were handled last year I am reluctant to use their service.

The Amashova / Argus type service seems to work well. Imperial logistics supplies an oversized box where you simply turn the handlebars, drop the seat and wheel the bike into the box. Seal the side and it gets loaded upright, not stacked ontop of each other. No removal of padals or hassles with anything else.

I had the time of my life! What a race! What a vibe! and unbelievable organisation!

My partner couldn't finish after he blew his cartilage in his knee on day 2, but other than that, 3 days of perfection!

I'll be back year after year after year after year...

Did the trail...

Had a great time as per normal.

Day 1 brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Day 2 had a blasted, right up until, 18.5km into the valley. We were battling with sun hitting us directly in the eyes all the way down the valley and my partner got a face full of sun and clipped the edge which resulted in her getting a Helicopter flip out the valley. Broken collar bone. After that it was just ride along for the rest of day even stopped at all the water points which is unusual but had no will to ride or race after the crash. Amazing how it changes your day. Good thing is she is looking well and in good spirits and sporting some new metal in her shoulder. No half measure complete snap.

Day 3 was cool as I got to ride with a good mate and my GF. I did get a comment later from her that I hurried them up at the water points man I thought we were there for ages ha ha... but had a blast rode ahead stopped too loads of photo's all day...... One guy asks if I was doing all day intervals.

By the way if any of you are the guys that phoned for us in the Valley as we had no receptiong thank you very much. I did go to the organisers after Day 2 and asked them to anounce a big thank you but alas they didn't do it, which brings me to the only gripe of the race...

The organising. I have done the adventure quite a number of times, and have to say they were quite shoddy this year almost like they put half effort into the Trail race. Race briefing on Monday was a mess (no screen etc)and why they moved it out of the tent I have no idea. Race briefing in Jolivet was also a bit of a mess. The hall we were in, 1x screen with a projector bulb that did not seem to be working very well and sound that at times we could harldy hear even though the speaker was close.. The reason I say this is in previous races this has been very slick and good. Oh and they definately over sold. The only year I saw tents going past the brick wall at the back was the year they over sold and they apologised for the congestion in the race villages. Jolivet just can't handle that many people from a catering point of view due to the space. I believe they had everything running nice and slick for the adventure and the race. Lets hope they get the trail up to scratch..... Poor guys in the very top tent for eating at jolivet as there was no space left in the main sections had no projector.

Yip I hear you guys about the gel packets. it was the most I have ever seen on the route....... Just so wrong. Why can't people put them in their pockets.

Day 2 was interesting as after the crash I ended up in the mid pack. I have to say those guys there are a ot of them that can't ride technical stuff. Stop at all sorts of small things and definately don't know what to do when they are walking up something small 2 a breast and you ask twice for track (with a please after it). They just carry on walking so eventually you have to pass off the track.... crazy. They should take lessons from the guys at the back. Day 3 those guys near the back are having fun, if they can't ride something they move over quickly, if your still riding up something while they walk they make you feel like a pro with all the keep it up comments. Big up to them had a blast.

I've heard there are a few gripes from landowners & farmers about not being kept in the loop, some did not even know that there was an additional race added this year. There may/ may not be changes to next year as a result.

Another year, another jol. That was fun.

I have to agree with you all, that there are some rather strong uphill riders. They are however, a tad on the slow side going downhill and along single track stuff. Coming into the valley, we had an average of 25km/hr, when we got to the bottom, it was 18km/hr. I didnt mind though, it meant just being patient, riding along slow style, singing songs, and just chatting about nonsense to everyone around you. Non of the pedal to the metal hope you make it to the bottom alive type stuff.

What did get to me though, was the water crossings climbing out the valley. People crossed the river, but with all the water on the path on the other side always unclipped and pushed. Over taking was always tricky in these places, especially when there as a row of a few teams pushing. Other than this was a great ride. Looking forward to next year.

To the folk that finished at the back. Well done. Nothing like pushing through and making it. Last year I had a knee injury, we finished 3rd last every day! So yes, I know about the hours in the saddle.

Was so glad when i checked results yesterday when i saw your name amongst the finishers.Good one Flymango,never doubted that you would make it.Hope you took lotsa pics.Check out the tv coverage and photos on the website,there will be a lot you would have forgotten.Once again congrats.

SB

Well done Flymango - Kudus to you for completing the race and to everyone for toughing it out.

I don't have too much to moan about - even in the race in the more competitive groups, technical skills can be lacking - It is frustrating to sit behind someone slower that you in the singletrack, but even more when these guys fly past you on the uphills. It's the nature of singletrack either descending or climbing.

Thanks gents!! Hope you had a blast too!!

Must confess to beeing a little mean on day 2 (Trail).

Having done several before, I new we crossed the Ixopo and 1 other river 9 or 10 times between WT1 and the climb out to WT2.

But when I saw people washing their bikes at the 2nd crossing, I just smilled and waived.

Actually heard some moans, when 500m later we were back in the mud.

Edited by Giant

people washing their bikes

Actually heard some moans, when 500m later we were back in the mud.

same people who were uncleated whenever we saw a few pebbles on the singletrack?

JC people - its a mountain bike ride!!

I am back in my office after the most amazing adventure ever - Did the trail event and even celebrated my birthday on the 17th - day 3 of the trail. Thank you to everyone who honked my horn while riding & wishing me Happy birthday and a HUGE THANK YOU to my amazing partner who made the entire race unforgettable! BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!