Which is tougher...Comrades or Epic?

rouxtjie

Toughest?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Which is tougher Epic or Comrades?

• Epic
    • Comrades

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think epic, but it all depends if you dont have the natural running ability you going to suffer.

I battle with the running but can cycle plenty so for me Comrades = huge respect

I voted for Comrades, never run one tho but done plenty marathons and trained for the C only to DNS due to ITB and flu.

Would hate to have to run 2 marathons plus a little TT in one day.

Epic is a different kind of suffering to running, less pain involved imo...

@BBinsideroutsider yah I also did not ride for month after epic, mainly cause my seat interface was not in the mood...

You can't compare them.

Ironman was hard for me as it's a mind game.Comrades was just very painful from 70km and then for a few days afterwards.

Not done Epic.

agreed, can't compare..

Ironman vs Comrades

Epic vs 4 Deserts Run Series (250km 7 day stage race)

I would disagree :whistling: - the training for IM may be tougher but on the day I'm not so sure ...

I agree. IM is one day probably equal to about day three/four on the gatvol/miserable/sore scale, but then it is over.

I would rather ride Epic than comrades though. Have run a few marathons and I can hardly think about running double that distance without wanting to burst into tears...

I have not done either of them! But being a man, I would definitely say Child Birth! It took me about a year before I could walk, hell, even speak!

Well lets just take the toughest day I had at Epic and I would say it was tougher than Comrades especially on the mind .... Running training takes more out of you than cycling. I ran a week after Comrades, I didn't want to see a bike for weeks after Epic!

Hmmm, I dunno, maybe you are an elite runner or just lucky, but for most of us normal guys we usually have to wait until our toe nails grow back a bit, or we can stand upright without anti inflammatory tablets before we can even think of pulling on running shoes again. In most cases I could barely walk straight after a week, never mind run.

As to which is tougher, I cant say, I haven't done the Epic but to me they are not really comparable, two totally different principles that require totally different training regimes and mindsets.

agreed, can't compare..

Why not, they are both endurance events?

I am not asking for a apples vs apples comparison, but which one was tougher to prepare for, actually do and recover from, surely you can guage it, if you have done both.

I agree with Garfield2010 on this one.

It brings back the old argument of how many km's of cycling= running km's

Running has a bigger impact on the body than cycling. here I'm thinking of the pounding your joints have to take. So physically I would say comrades is tougher.

The Epic is more demanding from a mental perspective, even though you have to be physically very well prepared too. you have to be in top mental shape to take on each day or you wont survive. With Comrades its only one day.

So its actually a tie between the two.

1 Day of Epic is easier than 1 day of Comerades, but the Epic is much more fun than running in the road like a madman.

The Epic is more demanding from a mental perspective, even though you have to be physically very well prepared too. you have to be in top mental shape to take on each day or you wont survive. With Comrades its only one day.

Yeah, but its a tough one day.! :rolleyes:

Hmmm, I dunno, maybe you are an elite runner or just lucky, but for most of us normal guys we usually have to wait until our toe nails grow back a bit, or we can stand upright without anti inflammatory tablets before we can even think of pulling on running shoes again. In most cases I could barely walk straight after a week, never mind run.

As to which is tougher, I cant say, I haven't done the Epic but to me they are not really comparable, two totally different principles that require totally different training regimes and mindsets.

neither elite or lucky, just survived both times I did it but went for a gentle post Comrades club run the week after but I admit it was more of a hobble :(

Also think you can not compare the two.Heard from an old oomie that ran the comrades 5 times and the two oceans 10 times that this years Trans Baviaans was the toughest thing he ever did.Maybe he had a bad day and he's body is older now bu still.Rather compare the Comrades to a hard core one day mtb event