29er fork with 120mm travel

Grondpad

I would really appreciate some opinions regarding a 29er fork with 120mm travel

I am building my dream MTB bike. It going to be a beaut!!

The reviews I have read and from what I gather here on the hub I have to fit a 120mm fork. I was planning on fitting a 110mm Lefty but I have contacted 4 stores and for some reason they don’t seem interested in taking my money.

So I set my sights on a Reba but after some research I noted that they are only available up to 100mm of travel.

The reviews that I read of the bike were done on a Revelation. I note they are available in 120mm travel.

What fork can you recommend with 120mm of travel for a 29er? Will you rather go with the Revelation or a DT Swiss XMM 120 Single Shot. There aren’t many reviews on the web for these forks and I am not familiar with any of them so I am counting on the expertise of the hubbers.

I cant really comment on the Revelation or the DT Swiss, but here is note on the Reba, on the 26' model Reba, its possible to increase the travel from 100mm to 120mm by removing the internal spacers (all travel spacers are what they are called I think ).

So, it might be possible to do the same to a 29" Reba fork. Hope that helps a bit.

Grondpad

You need to shop around more.

Some links...

http://www.rushsportscycling.com/Store/Buy/Rockshox/Reba-29er-RLT-Fork.aspx

http://www.rushsportscycling.com/Store/Buy/Rockshox/Reba-29er-XX-Fork.aspx

And there are some Fox's as well, but more expensive.

More important, what frame are you building it onto, and what is the manufacturers recommendations???

Different frames are designed around different Front suspension travel lengths.

Steps to take...

1. Check what the manufacturer recommendation is for front suspension travel.
  2. Decide on a brand (RockShox, Fox, DT Swiss)
  3. Find out how easy it is to service and maintain the shock (do you have to send send it away like with DT Swiss, or can well trained mechs service and replace seals for you).

These forks come in 100mm, 120mm and 140mm with options to "reduce" travel.

EG, I have a 100mm Reba XX, running at 80mm on my SS 29er bike.

Frame design recommendation will be the telling factor, and if not adhered to, your bike's front might stand "tall" and flop when you turn, or visa versa...

Happy building!!!

Yo Grondpad ... judging by your questions you will soon be a new PYGA one20 owner .. congrats.

I would opt for a dual air revelation with Black Box Technology based on the fact that in 26" guise on my Shova this fork has proven to be excellent.

With the dual air and compression setting you can tailor the fork to best suite your riding style or needs.

I love it and when I grow up and buy a PYGA one20 I will also get a Revelation for it.

H

Thanks for all the info gents.

@Hairy -> Spot on. The new machine is the PYGA OneTen29.

@NINER_boy -> Thanks for the links

Dont forget the pics when this build is complete.....

Jip, I will post the pics. But it is still a long wait. ETA is only in June.

Jip, I will post the pics. But it is still a long wait. ETA is only in June.

I am sure you will still get your frame before the potential Sukuma buyers get their frames .... just saying :whistling:

Was on anormal Fox 100 RLC on my Santa Cruz Tallboy but moving to Fox Talas Terralocig. Can adjust travel from 95-120. Tad expensive though - hope it is worth it

Presently on a Fox RLC 100 on my Santa Cruz Tallboy, but it got damaged. Replacing with a Fox Talas Terralocig - can adjust travel from 95-120, sweet. Tad expensive though

I was planning on fitting a 110mm Lefty but I have contacted 4 stores and for some reason they don’t seem interested in taking my money.

Try contact Omnico direct?

Otherwise ebay, I got a couple via that route.

I cant really comment on the Revelation or the DT Swiss, but here is note on the Reba, on the 26' model Reba, its possible to increase the travel from 100mm to 120mm by removing the internal spacers (all travel spacers are what they are called I think ).

So, it might be possible to do the same to a 29" Reba fork. Hope that helps a bit.

The 29er Reba comes as a 80mm out of the box and it can be increased to 100mm but not 120mm

The 29er Reba comes as a 80mm out of the box and it can be increased to 100mm but not 120mm

I found this one on ebay. Will it work to adjust to 120mm? I dont really understand the difference between the two red blocks?

post-7124-0-95919800-1335118950.jpg

I found this one on ebay. Will it work to adjust to 120mm? I dont really understand the difference between the two red blocks?

Nope, they are referring to the 26er fork that can go to 120mm

Have a look at the specks on Sram's website, not even the SID can go to 120mm

post-4352-0-71235400-1335153688.jpg

post-4352-0-44452100-1335153689.jpg