702 this morning about cycling vs motorists

Garfield2010

Massive bunch of cyclists on William Nicol so it must be CycleLab? Come on guys, maybe it was, maybe it wasn't so lets just stop pointing fingers. Some cyclists are prats regardless of which club they ride with. Please.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand it there is a cycling lane in the cradle so why don't just cycle in it?

The main part of the road is much smoother and often has less glass in it, so I fully understand sometimes edging into the main lane. Also, think that pic miiight have been before the lane was built.

I get equally irritated with the drivers who hoot at you if you're not riding in the gravel on the side of the road. Sadly it'll take a while to reset expectations and attitudes.

If you could please find me a road like that with willing particapants I would sincerely appreciate it.

Yours in eager anticipation.

Swinging_Indurain

TNT doesn't like to share !!

Massive bunch of cyclists on William Nicol so it must be CycleLab? Come on guys, maybe it was, maybe it wasn't so lets just stop pointing fingers. Some cyclists are prats regardless of which club they ride with. Please.

I am not saying it was, just an assumption that it may have been. The reason is cause maybe someone could then remember the incident I referred too. I am going to join Cyclelab in spring time in any case as safety in numbers is effective nand I dig the mechanic vehicle.

yaaaaa.... [boring icon here] Lead SA, drive over a cyclist , the message I get from these people is that there is no one else but them. I bet you its early morning, the roads are quiet, but Mr in his big luzury fuel gussling car own the quiet roads! when there is sufficent space for 2/3 abreast, and a car, they'll still attempt to drive as close to you as possible. You see grown up man in car = he is a very little boy inside

Or a Lazy Fat F...

I was driving through the cradle this weekend on my way to Van Gaalens to do some MTB'ing and I can confirm that these guys in these big groups ride up to 5 bikes abreast. Often had to drive behind them before I could overtake as I had to go fully into the oncoming lane.

I can understand how non-cyclists can become irrate...

Edited by Octavian

I watched the Amstel Gold on EuroSport. It was amazing to see little country lanes in the Netherlands with no painted centre line but TWO, yes TWO, cycle lanes, one on each side of the road, different colour tar and thick painted stripes.

It's about culture. What chance have we as cyclists when we see things like a gang rape video going viral?

I've just read an article on CNN about the mess that is commuting in Africa for the werkers and remember another last year on Joburg being the worst city IN THE WORLD for time spent commuting. Then I read stats about the obesity of our people. It all makes sense to cycle. There are few commutes that take longer by bike than by taxi/bus/train/car.

But Shock Jocks like John Robbie and Gareth Cliff do their best to make cyclists (recreational or commuting) pariahs. They should realise that our country is quickly getting pretty f*cked up and they can do something positive about it. Safe cycling and tolerance is but a small step.

As much as I understand the fact that too many cyclists riding abreast is not the way to go, I still need to ask myself what the massive deal is that a car actually has to slow down before they can go past? What is the big hurry on a saturday or sunday morning between 6 and 9? Seriously? People need to just learn a little bit of patience actually. I'm so sorry if you're going to be 23 seconds late for breakfast at Mugg and Bean. Like I said, I'm not condoning it at all but if its not putting your life in danger then just grow up, we have much bigger things to worry about.

Often had to drive behind them before I could overtake as I had to go fully into the oncoming lane.

Which is exactly what you are supposed to do according to the law. What's the fuss?

It's got nothing to do with some motorists being non-cyclists. It's got to do with as Eldron puts it: "**** you mate. Don't give a **** how many laws I break as long as I'm ok. And another great big **** you if you dare be breaking a law that inconveniences me in the slightest. In fact double **** you for even being alive."

I don't think the actual cyclist's are the issue - it's more the latest trend in SA which is ME, ME, ME!!!

Everybody is just pissed off because everybody else gets in THEIR way. Damnit! I'M trying to get to work so why are you getting in MY way?

This trend of "**** you mate - I'm OK" is rather alarming...

As much as I understand the fact that too many cyclists riding abreast is not the way to go, I still need to ask myself what the massive deal is that a car actually has to slow down before they can go past? What is the big hurry on a saturday or sunday morning between 6 and 9? Seriously? People need to just learn a little bit of patience actually. I'm so sorry if you're going to be 23 seconds late for breakfast at Mugg and Bean. Like I said, I'm not condoning it at all but if its not putting your life in danger then just grow up, we have much bigger things to worry about.

Wrong attitude, IMO. The "these are my priorities and yours are wrong" is exactly what we need less of. Imagine every week a bunch of cow herders left their herds on your road and it took you 10 minutes to drive through them each weekend. Cow herder says "hey. chill. so it takes you 10 extra minutes each day? You'll live longer if you relax."

In my case it wasn't "slow down before I pass", it was "follow cyclists up the hill and around it until I, at some point, think it's safe to pass". Oh, then another group. And then another. I was livid by the end of it. If we don't understand the residents' position, they won't understand ours.

Edited by Zook

What will happen if a traffic official patrols the cradle area on a Saturday morning and actually start handing out fines to all breaking the law?

Which is exactly what you are supposed to do according to the law. What's the fuss?

It's got nothing to do with some motorists being non-cyclists. It's got to do with as Eldron puts it: "**** you mate. Don't give a **** how many laws I break as long as I'm ok. And another great big **** you if you dare be breaking a law that inconveniences me in the slightest. In fact double **** you for even being alive."

Are they allowed to ride 5 abreast?

What will happen if a traffic official patrols the cradle area on a Saturday morning and actually start handing out fines to all breaking the law?

Please yes. Fine the cyclists breaking the law, and fine the motorists who don't slow down behind them, and complete a proper overtaking move when it is safe to do so.

Answer the question

Please yes. Fine the cyclists breaking the law, and fine the motorists who don't slow down behind them, and complete a proper overtaking move when it is safe to do so.