Coffee machine

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nespresso is the only way to go. Clean, fast, easy to use. Lots of different "flavours" too. No ride starts without an espresso.

Yes they are all you mentioned but you forgot to mention very expensive per cup.

I have the saeco bean to cup and I have a great full body blend that costs R 40 for 250g bag which yield about 25- 30 cups. The equipment may cost more initially but running costs are a fraction of the nespresso coffe makers.

So any recommendations for a pure espresso and steaming machine? One with only those two functions?

Seems the only ones aren't the greatest of quality and the others that are good quality come with grinders and the function to make filter coffee too..

I've breezed over this thread so sorry if this has been covered before. :)

So any recommendations for a pure espresso and steaming machine? One with only those two functions?

Seems the only ones aren't the greatest of quality and the others that are good quality come with grinders and the function to make filter coffee too..

I've breezed over this thread so sorry if this has been covered before. :)

Espresso only - LaMarzocco Shot Brewer.

Espresso and steaming - So a normal espresso machine then... - LaMarzocco GS3 - you will have hot water too.. Slayer single group will work too.

Nothing that makes filter coffee and espresso is good quality... and if they come with a built in grinder then even worse.

<Sarcasm button OFF>

Espresso only - LaMarzocco Shot Brewer.

Espresso and steaming - So a normal espresso machine then... - LaMarzocco GS3 - you will have hot water too.. Slayer single group will work too.

Nothing that makes filter coffee and espresso is good quality... and if they come with a built in grinder then even worse.

<Sarcasm button OFF>

So you recon one unit for espresso only and then a separate steamer?

Edit: It seems that's what you mean.. Any decent places to look? Commercial outlets aren;t doing it for me. Limited Selection.

Edit Edit: I see what you mean now. They are two separate machines..

My question of where to look still applies though.

Edited by Fruity

Edit: It seems that's what you mean.. Any decent places to look? Commercial outlets aren;t doing it for me. Limited Selection.

Just make sure you wear your big-boy pants when you look at the price:

http://onlinecoffeeshop.co.za/products/la-marzocco/coffee-machines/la-marzocco-gs3-espresso-machine

http://onlinecoffeeshop.co.za/products/la-marzocco/coffee-machines/la-marzocco-gs3-espresso-machine

Single speed coffee.

I have the stainless steel one, which we use for camping. I use the Aeropress at home as I only drink one cup a day.

Next purchase is this bad boy:

http://www.orphanespresso.com/Orphan-Espresso-Hand-Built-Coffee-Grinders_c_392.html

Just waiting for end of October for the Lido 2 to be available. Those hand grinders grind super fast, they say about 25s for a double.

www.koldserve.co.za for LaMarzocco - that level of machine is not really bought much on-line in SA - and then only after investing in a QUALITY grinder - expect to spend more than 60k for grinder and machine.

Choose a machine first, and then we will help you find it in SA - in general each supplier in SA only supplies one brand, and few are on-line in SA..

In general - a 'normal' espresso machine only does 3 things - hot water, steam and espresso.

Separate steamer - ummm... NO... separate frother.... F...k NO... unless you are a Nespresso man - in which case go ahead.....

I have the stainless steel one, which we use for camping. I use the Aeropress at home as I only drink one cup a day.

Next purchase is this bad boy:

http://www.orphanesp...ders_c_392.html

Just waiting for end of October for the Lido 2 to be available. Those hand grinders grind super fast, they say about 25s for a double.

Pharos maybe? but still good thinking either way.

Pharos maybe? but still good thinking either way.

I don't like the shake & bake action required to empty the Pharos which is one of the reasons I am after the Lido.

For espresso the Pharos would be a no brainer, but I mainly use Aeropress, Hario v60 and Bialetti which is another reason why I want the Lido. As far as I understand the Lido was developed for coarser non espresso grinding, while the Pharos is intended at espresso grinding.

What are you eyeing out after you sell yours? :)

Already bought the Nuova Simonelli Oscar, which I can whole heartedly recommend! If you want to steam milk then this would be the entry level to look at, around 10K. Then a good grinder around 4- 7k to go with it.

You can get away with other machines called single boilers but you have to wait before you can steam after making coffee so not ideal. Not stable temperature wise so coffee from it isn't as good. Still much better than Nespresso or the machine I'm selling granted you take the time to master it. Ranchillio Silvia is such a machine around 7k.

If you are serious about coffee please don't buy the entry level domestic machines from Krups, Breville etc. They make appliances not espresso machines... You will be upgrading quickly if you want cafe quality coffee. The milk steaming function makes froth, so cappuccinos are out. You can get a decent shot but not time after time, very inconsistent.

See pics below of my Krupps versus Oscar

post-5905-0-77345700-1376223024_thumb.jpg

post-5905-0-81691500-1376223032_thumb.jpg