Coffee machine

which is a good thing?

Looks like a variation on a Mazzzer Mini Electric Model A - if the burrs are the same it is a good thing.

I will check the spec on that machine a bit later when kids are in bed - looks nice and compact - only concerns might be the size of the boiler and if it is an hx machine or sbdu.

Local support is also a good thing - if not 100% needed if you are handy.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the descaler from karcher woks well u can get it at any Karcher dealer. I now use Filter water and have no problem

Thanks bud, but I ended up tossing the RH. Well past the point of no return...

I have read all the talk of R10k machines and R7k grinders and for those reading this thinking that they will never be able to brew their own epic espresso shot and build the ultimate piece of latte art, HAVE FAITH.

I shelled out the pricely sum of R1k for a second hand Delonghi Icona off Gumtree (5 months old) and a Krupps Burr Grinder on special for R499. I have been practicing for a while now and I can honestly say that I am able to put together a coffee that tastes really good by my standards.

Not saying for one minute that my coffee rivals the likes of V12man's, GBguy or any of the other coffee maestros on this thread, but it is possible to get a nice cup of coffee from an entry level machine and it is possible to get micro froth from a "foamer", it just takes practice. Stretch and plunge. Make sure you get the milk to circulate.

Is my setup the best? Far from it. Is it affordable? Absolutely! Can I justify spending R17k on a setup? Simple answer is No.

which is a good thing?

Looks like a variation on a Mazzzer Mini Electric Model A - possibly a chines copy? if the burrs are the same it is a good thing, if not, anything is possible.....

Looks nice and compact - only concerns might be the size of the boiler and if it is an hx machine or sbdu, and I can't even find a web site with that detail.... not even using google translate... generally that means you should run...

Is my setup the best? Far from it. Is it affordable? Absolutely! Can I justify spending R17k on a setup? Simple answer is No.

Just upgrade the grinder to a better quality one, and you will be amazed at the improvement you can get - the machine is nothing compared to the grinder... NOTHING...

Bigger and better machines just make life easier and more consistent.... so the frustration factor is lower... and the time taken to do it is less - my GS and Mondiale take about 5 - 8 seconds to froth enough milk for 2 large cappa's - my Brio takes at least 30 - 40 sec... and about 200% more concentration to do a decent job.

Looks like a variation on a Mazzzer Mini Electric Model A - possibly a chines copy? if the burrs are the same it is a good thing, if not, anything is possible.....

Looks nice and compact - only concerns might be the size of the boiler and if it is an hx machine or sbdu, and I can't even find a web site with that detail.... not even using google translate... generally that means you should run...

I'm awaiting all specs etc. The company that I'll be sourcing from from are solid. Have a good relationship with them so there should be no concerns around the machine etc. I will get some more detail and bounce it off you.

This mornings effort.... not a good job on the milk I am afraid... some tjop bought fat free white stuff emulating milk for the office...

Nope - I did not drink those either...

post-29797-0-62025200-1376484877_thumb.jpg

This mornings effort.... not a good job on the milk I am afraid... some tjop bought fat free white stuff emulating milk for the office...

Nope - I did not drink those either...

post-29797-0-62025200-1376484877_thumb.jpg

Left one aint bad, right on has been standing a bit, SBDU's hey :P

Make some on the GS3 and post pics :)

Struggling to find a good grinder....help please

To use with which machine?

Budget?

Espresso only or do you want to grind for other methods?

How much counter space have you got? Height wise too.

I really like the Breville Smart Grinder. @home has it for just below R 2000

Saw some good reviews for it.

Not sure if Weight Weenie and V12 Man will agree. They are the most informed people on this topic in my opinion.

I really like the Breville Smart Grinder. @home has it for just below R 2000

Saw some good reviews for it.

Not sure if Weight Weenie and V12 Man will agree. They are the most informed people on this topic in my opinion.

As with anything it depends on your needs, and you need to do research. Like SLX vs XTR. Yes XTR is "better" technically, but not for everyone it isn't.

My issue is Breville is still an appliance company and not a coffee equipment company. @Home are the local agents and my experience asking about new models was dismal, so I would be worried about support. That said I still think it's a good grinder if you want to do espresso and other methods as it's easily adjustable. IMO It will suite entry level machines well like Breville, but above a SBDU machine for espresso I would say you need something that grinds more consistently, faster, adds less heat to the beans and adjusts finer. No point having a great machine and crappy grinder, rather do it other way around.

I would say minimum is the Krupps GVX 1/2 grinder @ R600 for entry level machines to start with or to grind for french press etc. It can actually go pretty fine or coarse. Still using it with my Oscar but it's not ideal for the machine. Then something like the Rancilio Rocky is popular @3,5k and then something like the Compak K3 touch or Mazzer mini @7k for the serious home user. Personally I wouldn't go bigger than that, but V12 does like his 20k+ Mazzer Robur commercial grinders :)