Fined for using illegal bike carrier

WD7

The type of bike carrier, where the bikes "hang" on the carrier should carry a warning that you will be breaking the law once you attach your bikes to it, as they hang down, obscuring the number plate and lights. Not only is it against the law, but very dangerous.

Unfortunately they are also relatively cheap, and often end up being the first type of carriers that many people buy.

The type of carriers where the bikes "stand" on the carrier usually have a light bar, as well as a number plate holder. Have an extra plate made, and attach it. Lights are visible, number is visible, and bobs your uncle.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Go and look here to make your own......

http://www.bicycling.co.za/bikes-gear/maintenance/how-to-build-your-own-trailer-board/

I have one made by Holdfast. Remember the law also applies to obscuring your rear light cluster.

Some has remarked it is a stupid law. Not stupid at all...... how would you fel if a car rear ended you becuase he did not see your lights. Bikes gone, no claim against insurance and possible loss of life. Go think again about your stupid statement!!!!!!!

The type of bike carrier, where the bikes "hang" on the carrier should carry a warning that you will be breaking the law once you attach your bikes to it, as they hang down, obscuring the number plate and lights. Not only is it against the law, but very dangerous.

Unfortunately they are also relatively cheap, and often end up being the first type of carriers that many people buy.

The type of carriers where the bikes "stand" on the carrier usually have a light bar, as well as a number plate holder. Have an extra plate made, and attach it. Lights are visible, number is visible, and bobs your uncle.

Geoff Carriers gave me a stiff middle finger when I confronted them with this. I got my lights and number plate holder from Holdfast and asked for a few stickers. I removed the Geoff stickers, rebranded my carrier with Holdfast stickers and sent Geoff the pictures.

What gets me is the fact that Holdfast manufactures a whole range of carriers. Ones with number plate holders and ones without and surely they know what is required by law.

Why then not inform the customer about the limitations of its product with a sticker?

There are a lot of novice riders like myself that buy's a cheaper carrier to start off, and then sit with the result of penny wise pound foolish.

And yes, I have tried to contact the manufacturers....with no response. So much for customer service or is it just a guilty conscience?

I was in SportsMans Warehouse yesterday and at the Thule stand they have a big sign warning prospective purchasers that you need to ensure your number plate is visible after fitting any of their bike racks. Thats fair enough I think.

It is fair enough to fine you if your number plate is not visible. To pay the fine or not is your choice. The bottom line is that you are a law abiding motorist that received a fine whilst attempting to adhere to the law. Totally unlike all the windgatte on their superbikes in Bloem. It appears as if in Bloem if you ride a superbike you dont need to obstruct the visibility of your number plate, you just dont put a number plate on the bike! That then grants you the right to ride at 200kmph on the N1. Ride like a total tool in the city and give anybody the middle finger if they have any issues with this. Probably the same all over the country.

Edited by THE BLOODY AGENT

Most carriers have a space that you install a number plate on.

Not sure of the exact terminology, but your plates are to be visible at all times.

Sorry Dude, but they were right to fine you.

I have recently bought a Bike Carrier from a well known bike carrier brand.

Driving over the weekend through Beaufort Wes I received a nice R500 fine because it hides my number plate.

Maybe I should have known this but how can somebody sell a bike carrier that "forces" you to break the law?

Why is there no warning on the packaging saying "When using this product you wil break the law"?

It is like buying a car with no headlights and in the fineprint "Just add headlights" ......

Has this happend to somebody else?

I have gotten fined after k2c yeah cops were sitting around waiting for cyclists who didnt have additional numberplates and fined them by the hundered. Way to go Knysna makes me really want to go back and visit again :cursing: . And as stupid as that law is it is the law, in SA nobody really knows the law but everybody throws the quote "ignorance of the law is no excuse" So by default every single citizin in SA should be an advocate according to the state. Rant off ....

I just got a numberplate made and stuck it permanently on my back window, As quoted earlier "most bike racks make provision for a number plate" bollocks mate, only super expensive ones do, the entry to mid level ones generally does not. And i aint spending 8k on a bike rack to have a nice place to mount my number plate. And i beleive that bike rack retailers should warn you that if the bike obscures the number plate you will get fined, A lot of people are not aware of this law obvious as it may be.

You cant expect the manufacturer to tell you its against the law to not have your plate showing.

We all have valid licenses and know that it is required.

Thats like saying, you want glock to put a warning on the box saying "this gun can kill you"

Onus is on you to understand how a product affects you in your city/country.

Another example would be Toyota putting a sign on the car saying, please stick to speed limits, or please drive on the left.

Some things you should just know. Accept the responsibility that comes with owning/operationg a vehicle.

Hidden plates and obstructed tail lights are some of those things.

Only americans blame manufacturers for a lack of common sense.

Ow, i burnt my lip on a hot coffee, now i can sue for millions.

Edited by Wayne Potgieter

Also got pulled over for it and R500 fine... Went and bought a new plate the following week to put on the back of the rack. Guess I'm the only one to blame for the fine - do have to say it's a ridiculous law in my view, but apparently meant enough that the guy chased me down at about 160km/h in a 100km/h area in his Nissan Tiida...

A Tiida can do 160? :w00t:

Maybe Thule and other companies should have a notice printed about the extra number plate and attach it to every bike carrier. it is required by law to not obscure number plates, otherwise all criminals will do anything to hide the numbers.

You cant expect the manufacturer to tell you its against the law to not have your plate showing.

We all have valid licenses and know that it is required.

Thats like saying, you want glock to put a warning on the box saying "this gun can kill you"

Onus is on you to understand how a product affects you in your city/country.

Another example would be Toyota putting a sign on the car saying, please stick to speed limits, or please drive on the left.

Some things you should just know. Accept the responsibility that comes with owning/operationg a vehicle.

Hidden plates and obstructed tail lights are some of those things.

Only americans blame manufacturers for a lack of common sense.

Ow, i burnt my lip on a hot coffee, now i can sue for millions.

Driving on the left is also illegal ......... if you live in the USA

Happened to me in Hermanus once. I got off with a warning. :) Wasn't even aware of it, so I was grateful for the being made aware of my criminal activity!