Fined for using illegal bike carrier

WD7

You will still get fined...... for obscruring your rear lights

And "but the sun is shining" will not work .

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jhb yes. KZN no. If you're caught in Durban without a plate on they impound your bike on the spot

Are you serious??? Crikey :/ I better make a plan then

If this wasn't illegal, then everyone would have something permanently hanging out of their boot to obscure the rear plate.

Love my Thule roof rack. :D

There's your first mistake.

Indeed.

Beaufort West is a "hole in the wall" where the motorist is held hostage by the fact the highway go's through this dump. Otherwise the town would starve to death.

I hope you didnt spend any money in this dust pit because that would be mistake no 2.

Refuse point blank to support any business in this place, and the more people who do likewise the quicker it will disappear into bankruptcy.

I dont know of a single person who has driven through this slum and not got a fine or been harassed at a roadblock, I personally doubt there are any.!

My advice to you is (a) Have a look at your fine and see if its a "Notice before summons in......" or if its an official summons. It will state clearly on the document, usually down the left margin.

(b)If its a "Notice Before Summons" write the PP a letter and plead your case, say you are sorry and you have rectified it and you would rather "fall on a sword" than drive with an obscured number plate again. Ask for a reduction in the fine. Send it registered mail with a tracking number.

Dont expect a reply - (I didnt get one either.)

© Wait a few weeks and phone the PP to inquire if the letter was answered, chances are, like me, she will tell you to basically stuff off and pay.

(d) Dont pay, sit back and wait for the summons, this is your legal right, dont feel bad about it - I did this in January and I am still waiting for a summons, chances are it wont come, it costs them a substantial amount to send out a summons and for small amounts its not worth it - play their bluff - if it comes wait until the last day to pay and then do so.

(E)If your fine is already a summons, send a letter anyway, but unless you aim to drive there and defend it you may have to pay.

(f) Put it behind you and avoid the place like the plague, if you drive through again - dont stop, dont spend a cent, drive on to Leeu Gamka where there is a pleasant little stop with a clean shop and restroom, the attendants are respectful and you dont get mobbed for money when you open your car door.

Beaufort West is a dump, avoid it at all costs.

Indeed.

Beaufort West is a "hole in the wall" where the motorist is held hostage by the fact the highway go's through this dump. Otherwise the town would starve to death.

I hope you didnt spend any money in this dust pit because that would be mistake no 2.

Refuse point blank to support any business in this place, and the more people who do likewise the quicker it will disappear into bankruptcy.

I dont know of a single person who has driven through this slum and not got a fine or been harassed at a roadblock, I personally doubt there are any.!

My advice to you is (a) Have a look at your fine and see if its a "Notice before summons in......" or if its an official summons. It will state clearly on the document, usually down the left margin.

(b)If its a "Notice Before Summons" write the PP a letter and plead your case, say you are sorry and you have rectified it and you would rather "fall on a sword" than drive with an obscured number plate again. Ask for a reduction in the fine. Send it registered mail with a tracking number.

Dont expect a reply - (I didnt get one either.)

© Wait a few weeks and phone the PP to inquire if the letter was answered, chances are, like me, she will tell you to basically stuff off and pay.

(d) Dont pay, sit back and wait for the summons, this is your legal right, dont feel bad about it - I did this in January and I am still waiting for a summons, chances are it wont come, it costs them a substantial amount to send out a summons and for small amounts its not worth it - play their bluff - if it comes wait until the last day to pay and then do so.

(E)If your fine is already a summons, send a letter anyway, but unless you aim to drive there and defend it you may have to pay.

(f) Put it behind you and avoid the place like the plague, if you drive through again - dont stop, dont spend a cent, drive on to Leeu Gamka where there is a pleasant little stop with a clean shop and restroom, the attendants are respectful and you dont get mobbed for money when you open your car door.

Beaufort West is a dump, avoid it at all costs.

All these small towns are doing this now, as was my case at K2C last year, they were lying in wait for all the 5000 k2c entrants to see who they could pick off, hence thanks to them this year i refuse to support knysna itself I would rather go spend my money at plett come k2c. I also got my fine, looked the cop in the eyes crumpled it up chucked it in the back of the car and said guess ill see you in court.

All my fines get linked to my banking account so i can pay them online, and that fine never appeared and I never got summonsed either, which is fine by me. I dont mind paying a fine when I speed or actually willingly break the law, but once they start hunting people that dont willingly break the law i draw a line in the sand.

All these small towns are doing this now, as was my case at K2C last year, they were lying in wait for all the 5000 k2c entrants to see who they could pick off, hence thanks to them this year i refuse to support knysna itself I would rather go spend my money at plett come k2c. I also got my fine, looked the cop in the eyes crumpled it up chucked it in the back of the car and said guess ill see you in court.

All my fines get linked to my banking account so i can pay them online, and that fine never appeared and I never got summonsed either, which is fine by me. I dont mind paying a fine when I speed or actually willingly break the law, but once they start hunting people that dont willingly break the law i draw a line in the sand.

Yeah, I agree, I get the feeling the op made an unknowing mistake, but its irrespective, Beaufort West go's out of their way to make life unpleasant for motorists passing through their armpit of a town, I in return refuse to support them in any way in return.

the carrier is not illegal. its the fact that it obstructs the number plate.

anyhoo. ignorance is no excuse. i dont think manufacturers should have to put up warnings for ignorant people.

as was mentioned. how many cars do you see with a warning that says warning this car can exceed speed limits.

in that context one would then deduce that all cars we drive are in fact illegal *shakes head*

Yeah, I agree, I get the feeling the op made an unknowing mistake, but its irrespective, Beaufort West go's out of their way to make life unpleasant for motorists passing through their armpit of a town, I in return refuse to support them in any way in return.

Oi - I take offence with you using PE's hard earned nickname to describe that sh1thole!

must say tho, a friend of mine got fined for the same offence, but his number plate wasnt obstructed at all, and they cop wouldnt hear any of it.

i think its probably just been voiced that they must fine people with bike carriers cause it obstructs the plate

the carrier is not illegal. its the fact that it obstructs the number plate.

anyhoo. ignorance is no excuse. i dont think manufacturers should have to put up warnings for ignorant people.

as was mentioned. how many cars do you see with a warning that says warning this car can exceed speed limits.

in that context one would then deduce that all cars we drive are in fact illegal *shakes head*

geecee so you know every single law off by heart that this wonderfull country has on offer?

geecee so you know every single law off by heart that this wonderfull country has on offer?

no but its a very common law. i knew it before i even had a license.

Also be aware that checking that you have both number plates and they are clean, visible and secure is part of your pre inspection test when you do your license.

You cant expect the manufacturer to tell you its against the law to not have your plate showing. We all have valid licenses and know that it is required. Thats like saying, you want glock to put a warning on the box saying "this gun can kill you" Onus is on you to understand how a product affects you in your city/country. Another example would be Toyota putting a sign on the car saying, please stick to speed limits, or please drive on the left. Some things you should just know. Accept the responsibility that comes with owning/operationg a vehicle. Hidden plates and obstructed tail lights are some of those things. Only americans blame manufacturers for a lack of common sense. Ow, i burnt my lip on a hot coffee, now i can sue for millions.

Exactly :clap:

I'm shocked to see live evidence that some southern africans are as ignorant as some north americans...

LOL howz that for thought an ass covering statement.

they have this in aarto, which is in relation to your license disk and not your number plate. But even if interpreted as being a license plate just make sure your bike is more than 150mm away from the plate and there is nothing they can do.

1217 Vehicle whereon appeared within 150 mm of the licence number anything which was not a component part of the standard equipment or construction of that vehicle - Reg. 35(6)©(ii) I 250 0

This one is more pertitant to a number plate. And since your numberplate is "affixed" just fine, they dont actually have grounds to fine you either. 1230 Vehicle with a number plate of the said vehicle not affixed thereto in such a manner that the whole number plate was clearly visible - Reg. 35(7)(d) I 500 1

no but its a very common law. i knew it before i even had a license.

Also be aware that checking that you have both number plates and they are clean, visible and secure is part of your pre inspection test when you do your license.

No actually that use to be law its not contained correctly within the new laws, and if you want to you could go argue your case and as its currently stipulated you will in all likely hood win the case.

That's If he ever receives a summons, I think I last paid a fine in '94.

+1