Misleading exercise articles...

Eldron

From Health24.co.za:

What should your target heart rate be during exercise?

During exercise, you need to train at a pace and intensity where your heart rate increases, but not exceeds, 70% - 75% of your theoretical maximum heart rate (TMHR).

How do you calculate your MHR?

Your MHR = 70 % x (225 minus your age).

A 35-year-old’s MHR will be:

70/100 x (225 – 35)

= 70/100 x 190

= 133 – 142 (75 % will be 142)

How would you measure your heart rate?

Easy! Feel your pulse for 10 seconds. It’s easiest to feel it with two fingers in your neck – follow the arch of the trachea from the midline of your throat to either the left or right side of your neck. You’ll feel the beating pulse right where the arch of the trachea curves into the hollow “valley”. You should count 1/6th of your TMHR. For most people this will be approximately 17 –25 beats per 10 seconds.

Here's a table to your MHR according to age.

During exercise, your heart rate will increase. But this should happen within certain limits. Use the tables below to check whether your heart is overworking during exercise:

Target heart rate during exercise Age (years) Minimum - maximum heart rate (bpm) 15 123 - 164 20 120 - 160 25 117 - 156 30 114 - 152 35 111 - 148 40 108 - 144 45 105 - 140 50 102 - 136 55 99 - 132 60 96 - 128 65 93 - 124 70 90 - 120 75 87 - 116

A few issues as I see them:

1) Its quite safe to exercise above 70-75% of your max heart rate (if you are already fit). Interval training demands working above 70-75% of MHR...

2) The equation they use is wrong. MHR is 225 (or 220) minus your age. They calculate 70% of MHR - someone is not very good at reading or maths...

No wonder Mr. Joe Average is clueless about training with HR as a tool!

From Health24.co.za:

What should your target heart rate be during exercise?

During exercise, you need to train at a pace and intensity where your heart rate increases, but not exceeds, 70% - 75% of your theoretical maximum heart rate (TMHR).

70/100 x (225 – 35)

= 70/100 x 190

How would you measure your heart rate?

Easy! Feel your pulse for 10 seconds. It’s easiest to feel it with two fingers in your neck – follow the arch of the trachea from the midline of your throat to either the left or right side of your neck. You’ll feel the beating pulse right where the arch of the trachea curves into the hollow “valley”. You should count 1/6th of your TMHR. For most people this will be approximately 17 –25 beats per 10 seconds.

Here's a table to your MHR according to age.

During exercise, your heart rate will increase. But this should happen within certain limits. Use the tables below to check whether your heart is overworking during exercise:

Target heart rate during exercise Age (years) Minimum - maximum heart rate (bpm) 15 123 - 164 20 120 - 160 25 117 - 156 30 114 - 152 35 111 - 148 40 108 - 144 45 105 - 140 50 102 - 136 55 99 - 132 60 96 - 128 65 93 - 124 70 90 - 120 75 87 - 116

A few issues as I see them:

1) Its quite safe to exercise above 70-75% of your max heart rate (if you are already fit). Interval training demands working above 70-75% of MHR...

2) The equation they use is wrong. MHR is 225 (or 220) minus your age. They calculate 70% of MHR - someone is not very good at reading or maths...

No wonder Mr. Joe Average is clueless about training with HR as a tool!

they calculate 70% of MHR because they are saying this is what you should train at. nothing wrong with their maths. there advice on HR targets is a different matter...

I am 42, so according to this I should train at 137 bpm? I only start breaking a sweat at 150 and spend most of my time above 160. Methinks they speak kuk.

they calculate 70% of MHR because they are saying this is what you should train at. nothing wrong with their maths. there advice on HR targets is a different matter...

Agreed but their formula say max heart rate is this:

70/100 x (225 – 35)

= 70/100 x 190

Your max heart rate is not 70% of 225-age.

Me being pedantic I know but its an article aimed at beginners - there should be a nice big double bolded bit at the bottom thats say WORKING RANGE: 133 – 142 (75 % will be 142)

I am 42, so according to this I should train at 137 bpm? I only start breaking a sweat at 150 and spend most of my time above 160. Methinks they speak kuk.

Exactly my point.

Sure it is aimed at couch potatoes but at the ranges they suggest I won't be able to climb the stairs to work without stopping for a breather to let my ticker slow down!

damn man. I almost only manage to get in hard exercise on a weekend. I got myself a heart rate monitor a few months ago. It reckons my max heart rate should be 175 but I too hit well above this most times. So I dont understand where they got these stats from, but they sure are avg and are not the same for everyone. I am 37, and according my doctor, my blood pressure is equivalent to a 16 year old.

I think the problem here is taking health advice from a non-referenced website...

On a different note... my suuto has a different way of calculating max HR- 207-(0.7x age)... I suppose there are a couple of formulas out there. Looking at it now it is slighly similar to health24's one...

Aren't they just been conservative to avoid issues, it wont do if they tell everyone to race out and pump up the HR only to have a few keel over and get rushed to hospital - could cause a few expensive legal issues.

I see mine says (55) 99-132 which is a tad low but if I run at say 145 bpm I can trot along all day so its not too far out, I dont really use it to cycle though.

I agree that their formula is incorrect, based on the commonly accepted 220 - age. But if the article is for weight loss then they have the right target zones.

Could also be that Health 24 probably don't want to be sued when someone drops dead after breaking a sweat.

I agree that their formula is incorrect, based on the commonly accepted 220 - age. But if the article is for weight loss then they have the right target zones.

Could also be that Health 24 probably don't want to be sued when someone drops dead after breaking a sweat.

actually I think it's been proven that interval training is better for weight loss than long periods at 70 - 75%.

damn man. I almost only manage to get in hard exercise on a weekend. I got myself a heart rate monitor a few months ago. It reckons my max heart rate should be 175 but I too hit well above this most times. So I dont understand where they got these stats from, but they sure are avg and are not the same for everyone. I am 37, and according my doctor, my blood pressure is equivalent to a 16 year old.

remember that the heart is a muscle, not to disimilar to a calf or quad, so just like someone else who has larger quads they could easily have a larger heart. I believe if you have a smaller heart muscle it will pump at a higher rate (no of beats) than someone who has a larger one,

remember that the heart is a muscle, not to disimilar to a calf or quad, so just like someone else who has larger quads they could easily have a larger heart. I believe if you have a smaller heart muscle it will pump at a higher rate (no of beats) than someone who has a larger one,

Sounds reasonable, but to the best of my knowledge a smaller heart is better medically, or so my cardiologist tells me.

actually I think it's been proven that interval training is better for weight loss than long periods at 70 - 75%.

Agreed. I read an article that said the original "fat burning zone" was bollocks and that "total energy spent" was the right measurement. Gotta love the internet - you can find a conflicting article to anything...

Sounds reasonable, but to the best of my knowledge a smaller heart is better medically, or so my cardiologist tells me.

The ramp test is the ultimate max HR indicator. It is pain threshold dependant of course.

Find a long hill (very long) then start riding - every minute increase the pace until you cannot turn another pedal. This is your max heart rate. Simple really.

The formula (like most things in life) is a guesstimate.

The ramp test is the ultimate max HR indicator. It is pain threshold dependant of course.

Find a long hill (very long) then start riding - every minute increase the pace until you cannot turn another pedal. This is your max heart rate. Simple really.

The formula (like most things in life) is a guesstimate.

.on the same gear ratio I would assume?....not so.?

The formula is just a guideline, for example we are three chaps that regulary train together all the same age, but three vastly diff heart rate avg's

our Maximum is supposedly 187,

My maximum determined through a crapload of tests is 174,

My one mate is on the 187 (spot on)

And the other chap avg's 210.

so 3 guys same age totatlly different results as far as heart rates are concerend, best way to determine your max heart rate, vo2max etc etc is to go to a medical professional to be assessed.