Correct width of handle bars for mtb

michael

This might sound like a stupid question but what should be the correct width of bars for my mtb?

i have straight bars. I am convinced they are to narrow and as a result, i battle to take corners off road without feeling as if i want to eat dirt.

I have tried various tyres, tried different pressures in both tyres and fork to no avail.

Barking up the wrong tree or what?

Cheers

Mike

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A good start I guess would be to measure and post how wide they are now?

Not being an expert the only observation I can give is that these days the wider the better it seems!

29er is 680mm pretty much standard, my gf got a new Scott 26" with 640mm(stock standard) and she loves the handling. The wider the better :)

600mm is the way the go for 26" and much wider for 29" imo.

Lol@Cav - that's way narrow for MTB'ing you dirty roadie....

640-660 for 26ers

680-720 for 29ers

Also depends on the type of bike, stem length, saddle postion, curve/bend/rise of the bars....

29er is 680mm pretty much standard, my gf got a new Scott 26" with 640mm(stock standard) and she loves the handling. The wider the better :)

Lol@Jan - you just wanted to brag that you have a GF... show us some few Pichas!!! lol

Lol@Cav - that's way narrow for MTB'ing you dirty roadie....

640-660 for 26ers

680-720 for 29ers

Also depends on the type of bike, stem length, saddle postion, curve/bend/rise of the bars....

Haha what can i say i like it that way ;-)

Lol@Jan - you just wanted to brag that you have a GF... show us some few Pichas!!! lol

Here's a pic for you :P

149418_10150768483676134_596391133_9507955_848587939_n.jpg

I saw on a downhill video that your hands should sit roughly as wide as your shoulders, too narrow and you lose balance, too wide and you lose steering.

That being said you can judge from there :D . Then there's the question of straight bars and riser bars ...

Sheesh! what's up with all you and your little-boy sized bars... 600mm... why not just clamp a vise-grip to your steerer tube and ride it stolen-taxi style :P

Yes, yes, I understand that 780mm wide bars (although nice) aren't practical for every kind of riding... especially for those of you who like to ride with stems almost as long as your bars are wide.

But I feel that 700-720mm are a great all-rounder width... unless you are infact a little boy, or a weigh conscious dirt roadie. But if you like riding off the district road from time-to-time, then you'll love the extra control that wider bars afford.

Wider bars. Shorter stem. Better handling 101.

I run:

Oh and black bars are for poor people :P

Edited by patches

everyone suggesting XC-ish widths, which are not general widths that apply to all styles of riding.

Firstly, what type of riding do you do? marathon stuff? relish the descents? XC, AM? dabbling in downhill?

Jan:u rocking those ezi-grips? the silicone ones? Where from source and $$$?

everyone suggesting XC-ish widths, which are not general widths that apply to all styles of riding.

Firstly, what type of riding do you do? marathon stuff? relish the descents? XC, AM? dabbling in downhill?

Jan:u rocking those ezi-grips? the silicone ones? Where from source and $$$?

not Ezi, Its the Ryder knock-offs :blush: R100 a set, last just as long as Ezi, but only in white, grey and black, no funky colours to pimp your bike

http://www.obike.co.za/Products/ProductsB.aspx

Geez, You guys are running wide bars.

I'am running 560mm Ritchey WCS bars, for XC and Marathon events, on a 26" hard tail.

I was told long time ago by an EX Pro athlete, that it should be as wide as your shoulders.

I'am getting my 29er this week, so thanks for the warning. Otherwise I would have chopped it off to 560mm

It comes with a 700mm bar... might take it off to 660mm, but will first try it out

Edited by Toxic

Running a 710mm bar with a 90mm stem on a 26er.

Greatly improved the handling and is super comfy. I do still find myself gripping the bar over the brake levers on long dirt roads. Force of habit I guess.