15mm through axle vs QR for 29er?

mr HED

thats why i am going for a full sus! stiffe everything and then open up the shocks! we must be mad!

:w00t: interesting though that was from a mate that has just ordered a bike with TA front and back :blush: ... I'm not so sure about how much better it will 'feel' as I have only ever ridden QR but I guess it's also part of progress and I'm all for that!

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So what frame have you decided on? Are you going Hope hubs if you decided Maxle?

thats why i am going for a full sus! stiffe everything and then open up the shocks! we must be mad!

:blink: Not sure what stiffness has to do with having suspension. Unless we're talking soft tails... :whistling:

So what frame have you decided on? Are you going Hope hubs if you decided Maxle?

I dont know if its just me but we have such limited choices in SA, I could only come up with AM classics using adapters to make it fit, (not fond of using any conversion adapter)

Custom made wheelset using hope hubs (wich we have plenty off in SA

Or buying factory stock fulcrum red power wheels which are on the heavy side 1.9kg.

Besides that havent seen many other choices around.

:blink: Not sure what stiffness has to do with having suspension. Unless we're talking soft tails... :whistling:

+1

My buddy just weighed the Hope axles for me.

Results:

QR 60g

15mm 70g

20mm (old) 90g

20mm (new) 80g estimate

So to save 10g we have another "std". Why not just go QR or 20mm? Stupid freaking us getting suckered into stuff like this.

EDIT: Let's scrap QR all together. It's a pain and has no benefit.

Edited by The Crow

Lol crow i know people that have paid 3k for Ti rotors becuase it saved them 30g on stock standard ones, I dont think its about the weight i think its so they can tune their buddys on a ride " hey duuuuuude guess how much my rotors cost"

So to save 10g we have another "std". Why not just go QR or 20mm? Stupid freaking us getting suckered into stuff like this.

EDIT: Let's scrap QR all together. It's a pain and has no benefit.

If I could on my bike, I would. Unfortunately Novatec hubs can't take 20mm/15mm

Lol crow i know people that have paid 3k for Ti rotors becuase it saved them 30g on stock standard ones, I dont think its about the weight i think its so they can tune their buddys on a ride " hey duuuuuude guess how much my rotors cost"

To which I can respond "Hey Duuuuude, guess how much I don't care!"

If I could on my bike, I would. Unfortunately Novatec hubs can't take 20mm/15mm

They would if there wasn't three fork axle "standards" to not even include Specialized's 25mm, Maverick's 24mm and the Lefty.

To which I can respond "Hey Duuuuude, guess how much I don't care!"

Exactly.

I ride 20mm thru axle front on my 29 with 142-12mm rear and it makes the world of difference as far as rigidty and stiffness is concerned,

Honest question :

I rode my new 29er frame this weekend and for the first time was riding a through axle after a lifetime on QR.

Running my tires at 1.7bar in front and a bit more in the rear, I found that the (excuse the layman's terminology) sideways flex in the tire was masking any increase in noticable "stiffness" between the two.

What was I doing wrong ?

What tyres are you running?

Make:

Model:

Size:

Tubeless or Tubed?

Edited by The Crow