Should I trade my Yeti 575 for 29'er HT????

Greg29

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I come from a Yeti AS-R. Went to 29er HT, but still missed the Yeti although I really like the 29er wheels. Just upgraded to a Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon. Climbs well, pedals where you had to stand on the HT, takes big drops with ease and extremely nippy in tight single track. This is the best bike I've ever ridden (my opinion of course). So I'd suggest, go 29er, but you don't have to go HT. There are some good options: Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon or Alloy, Santa Cruz Superlight 29'er (new and great value - looks awesome), Specialized Epic, Scalpel, Scott Spark (great value) etc. I'd of course go for the SC.

Problem is, anything Santa Cruz and you're going.over budget unless you go 2nd hand. In that case, I'd rather keep the Yeti and get a 9er hardtail to play on, or use on the non tech, jeep track ridden rides.

Problem is, anything Santa Cruz and you're going.over budget unless you go 2nd hand. In that case, I'd rather keep the Yeti and get a 9er hardtail to play on, or use on the non tech, jeep track ridden rides.

+10000000

And at the same time, it's really great to have two or more bikes, because when you do have a technical problem or "issue" with 1 bike you have no excuse or reasons forcing you not to ride the other....

And some days, it's great to have some variety and options.... matching the bike with your mood, riding conditions or intended purpose...

+10000000

And at the same time, it's really great to have two or more bikes, because when you do have a technical problem or "issue" with 1 bike you have no excuse or reasons forcing you not to ride the other....

And some days, it's great to have some variety and options.... matching the bike with your mood, riding conditions or intended purpose...

Ed zachary.

I built my first 29er up from bits and pieces to see if I would like it. Once I was into it, I changed the frame to another ht before eventually finding a ds frame for a good price. That way I minimised one big hit.

I am in a similar situation.. I have a 2006 DS Giant which I really enjoy and in no way does it let me down but still have an itch for a 29'er. So I have decided to get a PYGA Zero29 and build it up as time and cash allows. I could never sell my Giant as the money I could get for it would never out weigh the enjoyment and service it gives me..

Thanks all for your input. I'm going to look at keeping the 575 and start building a 29'er - will be a nice little project to have and to learn more about how all the parts fit together. :clap:

Thanks all for your input. I'm going to look at keeping the 575 and start building a 29'er - will be a nice little project to have and to learn more about how all the parts fit together. :clap:

My boss mans brother just spent R40k on going the HT 29er Santa Cruz route only to find its not for him(he came off a 26" DS). Almost cost him his marraige getting this new bike, now he is stuck with it for two years, Ouch. So wise choice :thumbup:

Excellent news. That's the way to do it. You will get equal enjoyment from both and have no regrets.

Good luck with the build and finding bits at good prices. I'm sure you will learn a lot too.

My boss mans brother just spent R40k on going the HT 29er Santa Cruz route only to find its not for him(he came off a 26" DS). Almost cost him his marraige getting this new bike, now he is stuck with it for two years, Ouch. So wise choice :thumbup:

Why 2 years? Is he financing it? By then I'm sure he might start missing his ex wife...

Why 2 years? Is he financing it? By then I'm sure he might start missing his ex wife...

No, not financed. Thats how long he had planned to keep it for, it could be longer, that was one of the stipulations he made when pressing the wife double time to be able to get it in the first place.

It would be nice if you could just replace a bike whenever you feel the need.

I'm with the V on this one. Rather build up a HT 29er over time and keep the full squish. You'll miss that couch on rides longer than 60k's

I currently have a 2009 Yeti 575 in good condition and I'm thinking of trading it in on a 29'er Hard Tail. Just not 100% sure on which make but the PYGA Zero29 is looking like a good option.

What do you guys who are 'in the know' think? :wacko:

No brainer, keep the Yet, or else trade it on a SC Tallboy 29er if you really are that keen to buy in on the whole big wheels thing. A HT can never replace a good dualie, no matter what the fanboys say. Obviously this depends on what type of riding you do but judging by the 575 .........