SRAM XX1 drive train

Hairy

Yip. I'm running 1x10 on one of my bikes and it's a joy. Will giive XX1 a year or so then I will be on the bandwagon.

Got provisional pricing this morning, with a trigger it looks like around R 12.5 k.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

Got provisional pricing this morning, with a trigger it looks like around R 12.5 k.

Good lord. I bought an entire working motocross bike in good condition for 13k. i think this is beyond ridiculous and a rohloff speed hub is even cheaper.

Good lord. I bought an entire working motocross bike in good condition for 13k. i think this is beyond ridiculous and a rohloff speed hub is even cheaper.

Quite easy, don't buy it thumbup1.gif

Yeah, i know THAT bit... Still, there are only 2 months left (EEEEEK!) of this year. I reckon 2nd quarter 2013 we'll see it on X9.

I don't think so.

I don't think so.

We'll see!

But seriously now - I like the tech, but I can't see myself shelling out over 10k JUST to get a guide-less system & extra ratios at the top when I'm already running 1x9 with a guide, and am trying to HTFU.

When the system needs replacing ('cos it will sometime in the future) then yeah, maybe. But then I'll also have to do the rear wheel again, and then it may be far more affordable to rather get a brand new bike with the system already on it, and sell my current one.

I mean, it's a fantastic system (on paper ad according to testers) but just look at the replacement parts list:

Hub (min R 2.5k at the moment)

Spokes (R 200 off CRC, incl Nipples)

RD

Chainring or a full crankset if they don't sort out the PCD and offset to allow use on normal cranks

Cassette

Triggers / Gripshift (and new grips if going grippy)

Chain

If it's at X9 level, that looks like a healthy R 7k right there. JUST to be able to run a guideless system and a couple more gears at the low end.

No thanks. But I still love it!

From what I've heard the other derivatives are already out there being field tested. They've nailed the tech, so adapting it to the cheaper manufacturing and material used makes things a lot easier and quicker. I will stick my neck out and predict a Jun / Jul announcement with Sept - Oct in store date. I could be right though. biggrin.png

If you look at SRAM'S history they are not a company who stuffs around with politics and marketing games. 2x10 was trickled down to even X5 in no time and Grip Shifts were launched in XX and X0 at the same time.

...Hub (min R 2.5k at the moment)

Depends on your current hub. Most will just need a replacement freehub body. Licence opened Sept so we should see a raft of launches by Dec / Jan.

From what I've heard the other derivatives are already out there being field tested. They've nailed the tech, so adapting it to the cheaper manufacturing and material used makes things a lot easier and quicker. I will stick my neck out and predict a Jun / Jul announcement with Sept - Oct in store date. I could be right though. biggrin.png

If you look at SRAM'S history they are not a company who stuffs around with politics and marketing games. 2x10 was trickled down to even X5 in no time and Grip Shifts were launched in XX and X0 at the same time.

Well, that's the simple logic that applies with any product in the bicycle industry.

June/July launch to importers and dealers to be in retail stores before Christmas.

The X/O X/9 versions will be more affordable , yet I don't think they made this grouser for the regular weekend warrior or the wannabe Kulhavy's.

What makes the more affordable options attractive is the fact that drive-train replacement won't hurt the pocket as bad.

The one thing I like the most around the new system is the integration with the free-hub body.

It will certainly put less load bearing on the body itself.

Again, the only real benefit, longevity.

American Classic free body is expected to be around R 680.00.

That makes it a lot better to stomach.

Just out of interest - I would have to get a Novatec free-hub to fit my Novatec rear hub, correct?