bike shop crack frame with service

amoryns

So took my bike in for service only to get a call saying I should contact the shop where I bought my bike to get a warranty letter as they removed the BB but then cracked the frame. My question, should I hold the shop liable and also why should I now get warranty letters for their stuff up? Who's suppose to replace the frame? The dealer, the bike shop or my insurance?

Edited by amoryns

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have expected the the two bike shops to have a chat between themselves first .... not just hand the problem back to the customer.

Interesting...

How did they crack the frame removing the BB?

surely shop has insurance in the event that staff break stuff? or am i wrong in thinking that?

It is a merckx. Apparently the bb was 'stuck'. So I am assuming that force was used. Not a haPpy customer as I can't see how the insurance will pay

It is a merckx. Apparently the bb was 'stuck'. So I am assuming that force was used. Not a haPpy customer as I can't see how the insurance will pay

The shop that cracked it must be held responsible.

As far as i understand your mail they have not asked you to claim form your insurance. All they are asking for is your proof of purchase so that they can process a warranty with the supplier for you. This is normal process. Just had a similar thing done with my bike.

Why would a shop breaking a BB be covered by a warranty?

mmmmm my thoughts exactly, maybe they are looking to pass the monkey onto someone else's shoulder.

As far as i understand your mail they have not asked you to claim form your insurance. All they are asking for is your proof of purchase so that they can process a warranty with the supplier for you. This is normal process. Just had a similar thing done with my bike.

nope not normal that would be fraud. what warranty covers a shop breaking a frame while servicing it

This is normal process. Just had a similar thing done with my bike.

How can cr@p service be a warranty issue?

Possibly trying to use the fact that the BB was seized to claim? When working in a shop a while back, one of the big importers had to warranty a number of alloy frames because the factory had done something when installing the BB's and they all seized - no matter what magic tricks were tried, those things did NOT come out!

Possibly trying to use the fact that the BB was seized to claim? When working in a shop a while back, one of the big importers had to warranty a number of alloy frames because the factory had done something when installing the BB's and they all seized - no matter what magic tricks were tried, those things did NOT come out!

That's different though.

mmmmm my thoughts exactly, maybe they are looking to pass the monkey onto someone else's shoulder.

No way, a monkey on the shoulder is waaaay cool, like a huge big parrot and a wooden leg. A monkey on your back, that's a problem!

If the bike was complete when bought, ie full bike, and was assembed at the factory and no grease was used on the threads or cross threaded, I can fully understand how the bike shop would have hassles removing it. In that case I would say yes it's a warranty issue due to poor assembly.

If it's not the original BB and it was installed by the bike shop before then the blame shifts to them.

If they are processing your warranty for you then you have nothing to worry about...I would sit back and wait for a new frame, if it's cracked that easily maybe it was a time bomb anyway that you've let them diffuse.