Boast about your latest purchases here...

camerons

Happy times ... 99.9% chance of pulling the trigger tonight.

X-Fusion Velvet RL2 in 140mm format and can also be internally converted to 650b :)

http://www.xfusionshox.com/images/products/2014velvetRL2/velvet-RL2-4.jpg

Perhaps I missed something earlier in one of your posts but what do the internals have to do with converting to 650b? :huh:

• Replies 16.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But that is still not a straight....

That pic is not straight ... all I could get from the x-fusion site in a hurry

Perhaps I missed something earlier in one of your posts but what do the internals have to do with converting to 650b? :huh:

something to do with a spacer that gets fitted .... I imagine it is to ensure that the top of your tyre does not clash with the underside of the crown

something to do with a spacer that gets fitted .... I imagine it is to ensure that the top of your tyre does not clash with the underside of the crown

Axle to cross brace measurement is fixed though - due to the lowers being one piece... How would an internal spacer change this measurement? or am I missing something?...

RS also have internal spacers which adjust the travel - this makes sense.

Edited by Ryanpmb

okay so the clearance on the cross-brace isn't the issue then. Makes sense.

HUH?

the distance between where the axle/wheel hub fits and the arch of the lowers stay the same though...or am I missing something?

But that would be an issue with the lowers surely? Unless they have some fancy axle off set to drop the wheel? Cant see that working with a thru axle though.

HUH?

the distance between where the axle/wheel hub fits and the arch of the lowers stay the same though...or am I missing something?

i think they referring to bottom out, but i dont think the wheel will hit anyway..

http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo46/Wilson12359/pbpic3383531.jpg

Edited by Capricorn

I think the lowers themselves are 650b compatible. No way an internal spacer would change that measurement. It must be to do with the stanchions, and how much of them are exposed under no load in a given setting (26/650) so that in 650 guise at max compression there is more stanchion exposed and therefore the top of the tire no longer connects with the crown.

I think that's what he means, at least...

But that would be an issue with the lowers surely? Unless they have some fancy axle off set to drop the wheel? Cant see that working with a thru axle though.

Maybe:

Lowers are 650b compatible out the box.

26" mode - X mm of stanchion exposed

650 mode - X + 20mm of stanchion exposed

Travel remains constant. Fork just gets a higher A2C measurement due to the removal / insertion of a spacer at the end of one of the cartridges / springs...

(edit: Changed 15mm to 20mm)

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

Maybe:

650 mode - X + 15mm of stanchion exposed

Travel remains constant. Fork just gets a higher A2C measurement due to the removal / insertion of a spacer at the end of one of the cartridges / springs...

Cool, got it :thumbup:

Axle to cross brace measurement is fixed though - due to the lowers being one piece... How would an internal spacer change this measurement? or am I missing something?...

RS also have internal spacers which adjust the travel - this makes sense.

HUH?

I said crown, not arch

does it make sense?

How does a tyre touch the crown if it clears the brace?

(just adding the pic so we all are speaking about the same parts on the fork)

post-24697-0-24990700-1385624076_thumb.png

Maybe at max compression the bottom of the cross brace is slightly higher than the bottom of the crown - if the lowers are 650b compatible out the box, that would make sense...

So in order to make it 650b compatible, they insert / remove / magically enhance a spacer so that either the travel reduces (thereby removing the possibility of the tyre touching the crown) or there is more stanchion exposed at min compression...

I dunno. I could be completely wrong, but I don't think so.

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

Is it not to do with maintaining the head tube angle, although this would be a small margin...

Running a 650B would affect the head tube angle - to bring it back to a similar angle as when running 26" you'd need to run a little less travel - thus the ability to space the travel...

Just a theory?...

Edit: Mayhem pointed out the error in this statement - fail! Ignore.

Edited by Ryanpmb

Maybe:

650 mode - X + 20mm of stanchion exposed

(edit: Changed 15mm to 20mm)

Maybe at max compression the bottom of the cross brace is slightly higher than the bottom of the crown - if the lowers are 650b compatible out the box, that would make sense...

So in order to make it 650b compatible, they insert / remove / magically enhance a spacer so that either the travel reduces (thereby removing the possibility of the tyre touching the crown) or there is more stanchion exposed at min compression...

I dunno. I could be completely wrong, but I don't think so.

Exactly!