2012 94.7

Agteros

Some seem to think its actually better to arrive the day before instead of 3-4 days. For some reason (which I dont know what) the body actually copes better. Can't find the article where I've seen this but that was the just of it.

Doesn't it only apply to us Vaalies when going down to the coast?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so maybe I am jumping the gun here, but when do we get our starting group and times?

I am guessing just after entries close, but when is that?

After the last seeding race which is normally the Jacaranda Satellite classic. So only after 20 October.

Is anyone doing the mountain bike 94.7? 50km? I am not sure whether I want to do that or the road one... I've never done either

Joe I haven't done the mtb event but every year there are always complaints its over-subscribed, big hold-ups on single track etc but feel free to experience this all for yourself and then winge on The Hub. Much better options for mtb events around GP imho.

As for the road race, yea I am in. Missed it the last two years because of the Hogsback mtb stage race but giving that a miss. Just the sheer joy of riding on the roads with no motor vehicles makes it all worth while. Hopefully have my new tubeless wheelset ready for my road bike. (with Hope hubs of course)

Edited by kosmonooit

Ok, so maybe I am jumping the gun here, but when do we get our starting group and times?

I am guessing just after entries close, but when is that?

You're keen hey... :clap: Love it.

Some seem to think its actually better to arive the day before instead of 3-4 days. For some reason (which I dont know what) the body actually copes better. Can't find the article where I've seen this but that was the just of it.

Ja if you can't give yourself at least 4 days then rather make it the day before... there is a lag of a day or 2 before you start to feel the effects while your body tries to adjust.

Haha we'll see how much a had to drink the night before the event.

Carbo loading the night before is an awesome idea !!!

Will make you sweat a little more but your energy levels will me elevated.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

anyone flying up from CPT? it is my first 94.7 - and am only landing on Saturday morning... should be fun. Am nervous re the route. If I did a 3:30 Argus this year, what time should I aim for at the 94.7?

Also coming up from CT! You should be good for sub 3:15. The route has much less transition pieces and is more a continuous rolling hill profile. No long steep gradient climbs, but there is the odd wall you have to ride over! The N14 steps so late in the race do sap the energy quite nicely too! It is 10 + kays shorter too. Don't expect the expo or spectator vibe you get at the Argus, but rather focus on the fact you are riding on Jozi's busiest roads with full closure. Hope it goes well!

Edited by Tubehunter

Not quite yet the vibe of the August, route has only had full road closure about 10 years now. Jan Smuts and route through Randburg has the best crowd vibe. Expo is iffy, but you don't need GPS coordinates to find your start block on race day, its colour coded red and black which indicates either left or right, parking is more organized and i find the finish area better than the August.

Joe I haven't done the mtb event but every year there are always complaints its over-subscribed, big hold-ups on single track etc but feel free to experience this all for yourself and then winge on The Hub. Much better options for mtb events around GP imho.

As for the road race, yea I am in. Missed it the last two years because of the Hogsback mtb stage race but giving that a miss. Just the sheer joy of riding on the roads with no motor vehicles makes it all worth while. Hopefully have my new tubeless wheelset ready for my road bike. (with Hope hubs of course)

What hoops? Blue hubs to match the frame?

Also coming up from CT! You should be good for sub 3:15. The route has much less transition pieces and is more a continuous rolling hill profile. No long steep gradient climbs, but there is the odd wall you have to ride over! The N14 steps so late in the race do sap the energy quite nicely too! It is 10 + kays shorter too. Don't expect the expo or spectator vibe you get at the Argus, but rather focus on the fact you are riding on Jozi's busiest roads with full closure. Hope it goes well!

I find 94.7 a much tougher route than Argus even if it's shorter in both time and distance. As you say there is seldom time for a proper recovery before you're on the next incline/climb whereas Argus allows to a few places to hide in the bunch and recover.

What hoops? Blue hubs to match the frame?

Got some Notubes ZTR Alpha 340 rims and Hutchinson tubeless tyres - not colour coordinated to that lovely Blue CAAD5 frame sadly, except for the silver Hope hubs (lettering on the frame is silver).

Going to be off the saddle / away for 4 weeks before the event, returning the day before. But I am not known to take races seriously.

Sounds great. I'd like to see those wheels when they are done. I've never considered Hope hubs for the road, but that could be they way for me to go when my red Fulcrums become due for replacement one day. Do they also buzz beautifully?