2012 94.7

Agteros

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first half is definitely quicker than the second half, so try keep your average speed between 33-35Km/h for the first half.

You'll need to get to Witkoppen Road (Fourways) between 1:25 or 1:30 (latest) to stand a chance.

You averaged 31.5Km/h last week - was it on your own, or in a bunch? If it's the latter, then you might not make it.

How did you ride on the climbs (excluding Hekpoort)? The two in the first part of the race, the little bump before Hekpoort, the one just before the Satellite station? Not big climbs for the competitive cyclists, but there are quite a few like these on the 94.7.

1st - is at 15km, just after you exit the M1

2nd - just before Parktown,

3rd - in Randburg passing Republic Road

4th - just before you cross over the N1

5th & 6th - on Witkoppen after the waterpoint

7th - Malibongwe just before the Lion Park intersection

8th - N14 after the Jukskei river, plus a few psychological ones on the N14

9th - Just after you've cycled under the N14 (Summit road I think)

10th - Heartbreak Hill (5Km to go)

and the last bump just before the entrance to the finish area.

You need to be able to climb all these short, sharp bumps at 16-20km/h to give yourself a chance.

Like I said above, when you get to Witkoppen road, you're about halfway (from a time point of view).

Man that is an impressive reply! Thx. I am still new and edgy in a bunch so I tend to get out of the bunches. I was focusing so much that I cant even recall all the detail of the route. I will go and check all your data on the profile maps. What is your take on the total climb?

Difficult to say (the total climbing), but unless it's all in one go does it really matter? about 950m if I look at my previous ride data.

Below is the profile from last year.

The first 15Km remains the same, so deduct about 3.5Km from each point for the comparison to this year's route.

Look at the climbs from 20Km onwards.

25Km, 30Km, 35Km, 42Km, 53-55Km, 60Km, 68-70Km, 78Km, 89Km and 95Km - they're all there.

Remember it's full road closure so you can ride right across the road and you don't have to worry too much about being nervous in the bunch. Look to see which way the flags are flying and ride on the opposite side of the bunch if there's wind. Most people are too preoccupied about riding behind the person in front they don't bother about these finer details that can make your ride that much sweeter.

post-1372-0-12257000-1351110025_thumb.png

Edited by geraldm24

Just pedal as hard as you can for as long as you can.

Sooner or later you will see the finish line.

Grab Powerade. Rest bum on grass.

Smile.

So what time at the Sattelite "medium" would translate into sub 3? I did 2:54 (with the compulsory mechanical of 2min).

Shot - in for a sub 3. Just don't overcook it through the first half. Your legs will feel it on Witkoppen and R28.

We rode a 3h01 on 94 last year (I trained more then). We rode a 3h on the satellite 92km last week and my last 100km was at sani2c in May.

Edited by Fester

Any idea on when seeding groups will be announced? Managed a 3:40 at Race4Victory (108km), but reckon the 94.7 with the wife last year will play a big role in my seeding. Only managed 5:15 with her... Keen for a single letter open seeding whistling.gif

Will have an entry available. My son cannot do the race. PM me if interested

I am strugling to work out how to pm. Hopefully will send it soon

Hello guys

Does anyone here doing it or done it on a TT bike? If so, is it easier to get a sub 3?

Technically it is not allowed. You will most probably not be welcome in any bunches of real size on a TT bike

How hard is it to do a sub 3 hour time for this race ? my recent results are 2h27min for west coast express (85km-WINDY) 5HOURS for the One tonner 160km. My only concern is my start time .

I've got a tried and tested method for knowing whether you will break the elusive sub 3.

Ride a loop in Suikerbosrand as hard as you can. No waiting for friends, no chat, no drafting, no stopping and no chilling. If you can do this in 2:18 or better, you will break 3 hours given than you start in H batch or better.

If you start in D batch or better it will be easier given that you can stay with the bunch on the hills. Starting in later batches it will become more challenging and ultimately impossible to break 3 due to slow riders blocking your way.

Can I do it though if I stay away from the bunches?

two years ago I finished the 94.7. Drove out to Witkoppen/Malibongwe intersection to spend the rest of the day with friends cheering the back markers. Saw a guy on a TT bike going past, but NOT at sub 3 pace.

So... To the question of "can you" yes you can, but the question of "may you" is a different kettle of fish

The FAQ state this: (http://www.cyclechallenge.co.za/Home/FAQCycleChallenge)

What kind of bike may I ride?

Any traditional bicycle or tandem bicycle, that is not motorised.

Recumbent bicycles are also allowed in certain categories.