Tour de France 2012

'Dale

Who will win the 2012 Tour de France?  

328 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Win The 2012 Tour De France?

• Cadel Evans
    • Frank Schleck
    • Bradley Wiggins
    • Jurgen van der Broeck
    • Levi Leipheimer
    • Robert Gesink
    • Vincenzo Nibali
    • Alejandro Valverde
    • Other (please specify)

And people though I was joking when I said this :

Clever man this Dangle chap

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://velonews.competitor.com/files/2012/07/froome3-571x421.jpg

From VeloNews

BESANCON, France (VN) – Chris Froome powered up the GC to throw what some suggest could be a wrench into the Team Sky train.

Team Sky brass, however, insist there is no problem with having Froome poised for a podium run behind yellow jersey Bradley Wiggins.

Sport director Sean Yates says there is no internal power struggle within Sky and that the team is solidly rallied around Wiggins.

“Our goal is to win the Tour — period,” Yates said. “Our goal is to win with Bradley. You never can discount an accident to either one of those guys. It’s good to have two guys up there.”

Wiggins, too, echoed the line that the team is firmly backing him as the candidate for victory.

“We want to have a backup plan. We didn’t have that last year when I crashed out. Keeping Chris there as long as possible is good. We’ve been riding shotgun the whole way,” Wiggins said.

“We have to reassess the situation tonight, because we didn’t expect to have two in the top three at this point, to be honest.”

Froome stopped the clock 35 seconds slower than Wiggins to finish second in the stage to settle into third at 2:07 back. He could be sitting second had he not lost 1:25 when he punctured late in stage 1.

Nevertheless, Froome, who won Friday’s stage, was pleased with his performance so far.

“We are riding for Bradley and if I can stay there close, then it’s better for the team,” Froome said. “I feel good right now in the Tour. We will keep working to defend the yellow. We are riding for Bradley.”

The talk of teamwork and commitment seems sincere from Froome, a Kenyan-born rider who came out of nowhere last year to finish second in the Vuelta a España.

Yates, however, said the team would not ride to defend podium spots.

“We are not going to ride to try to get riders in a certain podium spot. We are riding to take the yellow jersey from Paris to the UK,” Yates said. “We are racing to win the Tour.”

“We are not going to ride to try to get riders in a certain podium spot. We are riding to take the yellow jersey from Paris to the UK,” Yates said. “We are racing to win the Tour.”

Like I said earlier. Sky wont cock this one up like they did the Vuelta. They will back a Sky jersey on the top step in Paris. No matter who is wearing it.

The Wiggins Froome debate reminds me of the Lemond Hinault battle of the mid 1980's which became a real soap opera well worth the price of Mnet at the time. And who can remember when Mnet wanted to can the coverage of Le Tour, we had to petition Russel what's his face to keep it on air. Man it's fun to have seen this movie but not know the outcome.

and everyone side he was arrogant... I thought he was quite funny @ the Romandie this year in the face of fairly average questions.

Sorry if is a cross post but loved the Tweets about Wig's spray:

@ChristianVDV

Just heard @bradwiggins quote from the press conference today. Please do yourself the favor and read it. It is so, spot on. Thank you Wiggo.

@CadelOfficia

Choice words! - Bradley Wiggins has a few choice words for those who doubt racing can be clean

@Chris Froome

Critics need to wake up and realise that cycling has evolved. Dedication and sacrifice = results. End of story!

Froome should leave Sky and ride somewhere else, he can out-climb Wiggins and is only a tiny bit behind in the TT's.

He can win with the right team, if the Schlecks leave the Shack and Froome joins...?

With the support of Zubeldia, Horner, Monfort, Kloden and Gallopin and Froome the team captain!

Last place any reputable cyclist wants to go. Irrespective of any proof of past infractions or not!

Get over it guys. Froome is not going anywhere in a hurry. Particularly not anywhere near that scum JB.

Edit: RSN scum manager added.

Amen! :clap:

and everyone side he was arrogant... I thought he was quite funny @ the Romandie this year in the face of fairly average questions.

That's a funny presser...I would probably not last that long with all those stupid comments from the press. Love the "Try and think of better questions chirp" :clap:

I think the Team Sky domination of the TT is a good thing for our enjoyment of the rest of the tour as any pretenders to yellow cannot now afford to follow.

They are going to have to attack to get between 3 1/2 and 4 minutes on Wiggins and Froome to have a chance come the final TT.

I'm afraid that I don't think Evans' little snide attacks over the top and on the descent are going to be enough. As good as Nibali is at going down, he'll have to go down very aggressively.

Bring on the high hills!

Dangle the guru....should've asked you for advice on my fantasy team pick ey

You like to lose money :whistling: :P

Cav, surely you know by now Dangle only gives advice to guys who can benefit from his sage words? Just read the sock or tool forums!

I think the Team Sky domination of the TT is a good thing for our enjoyment of the rest of the tour as any pretenders to yellow cannot now afford to follow.

They are going to have to attack to get between 3 1/2 and 4 minutes on Wiggins and Froome to have a chance come the final TT.

I'm afraid that I don't think Evans' little snide attacks over the top and on the descent are going to be enough. As good as Nibali is at going down, he'll have to go down very aggressively.

Bring on the high hills!

I don't think Evans has a hope at this point to be honest, he will probably crack at some point. Sky are too strong and will continue to pace like motorbikes just like USPS used to do. Launching significant attacks will be nigh on impossible - at least that is how it looks to me after this TT. I think Wiggins actually took his foot off the gas towards the end of his ride.

Edited by Lucky Luke.

Cav, surely you know by now Dangle only gives advice to guys who can benefit from his sage words? Just read the sock or tool forums!

:unsure: :unsure:

I think I better run and hide :devil:

After watching that press confrerence youtube clip, i can say i am now bit of a Wiggins fan. I was always a bit iritable with his surlly demeanour, but enjoyed his responce to those dumbasses..

I don't think Evans has a hope at this point to be honest, he will probably crack at some point. Sky are too strong and will continue to pace like motorbikes just like USPS used to do. Launching significant attacks will be nigh on impossible - at least that is how it looks to me after this TT. I think Wiggins actually took his foot off the gas towards the end of his ride.

I think you are right, yesterday was as good as game set and match wiggins. I dont think Cadel is a good enough climber to make the 3-4 minutes he would need on wiggo to win the tour (to make up for the time he will likely lose in the 2nd TT).

And Cadel just doesnt have a strong enough team, he was all alone on the smaller climbs on Sat & Sun, so no chance he will have anyone supporting him through the Alps.

What is surprising for me though is that a serious tour contender like evans didnt put more thought into building a strong enough team.

When you see how much work Sky and Wiggo have put into the tour, from training at altitude and the small little details on the bikes (olyptical chainrings, aero dynamic brake calipers etc etc) and the skin suits, they deserve to win the tour.