Worst weekend to lose my virginity

DR ◣◢

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh , welcome my son .

now dont give the bike back , keep it.if it was lent to you the owner is clearly not into his ss that much.

Its one of his three bikes. I would love to keep it.

As for the questions about the Ragley bars. They are incredibly comfortable. The grips currently on there are just too thin for my XL paws. That combined with the XTR levers made for some interesting braking scenarios.

What really helped was my past experience with riding full rigid bikes. Did a lot of trials riding back in the day and getting around taught me how to properly pick a line and how to get over the rough stuff with ease. It really helps because I found that on the odd occasion I picked a crappy line and getting those wagon wheels to roll again takes a bit out of you.

I was really impressed with the grip from the 29er wheels. You can rail a berm with quite some extra speed and you never feel out of control.

As for the questions about the Ragley bars. They are incredibly comfortable. The grips currently on there are just too thin for my XL paws. That combined with the XTR levers made for some interesting braking scenarios.

What really helped was my past experience with riding full rigid bikes. Did a lot of trials riding back in the day and getting around taught me how to properly pick a line and how to get over the rough stuff with ease. It really helps because I found that on the odd occasion I picked a crappy line and getting those wagon wheels to roll again takes a bit out of you.

I was really impressed with the grip from the 29er wheels. You can rail a berm with quite some extra speed and you never feel out of control.

Oh flip a 29'er and SS convert in one ride .... :)

I took Stretched@Birth's Ragley's off his hands. Currently have them with the ESI Chunky grips and they are great. They just feel so much better than flat bars.

• 3 months later...

Four months later and the bike still puts the same smile on my face.

Some things I learned in the few hundred kilometers Ive done on it.

• I no longer push up the hills, I power through the pain and get to the top with a smile on my face.
  • People will laugh and ask if you are in therapy. Same chop will get off his Specializes S-Wors to go down a small drop.
  • People will be rude when they pass you on the flats and never say good morning on a ride. You will get to the top of the climb first and wait to great every single one of them.
  • ESI Chunky's are a must.
  • You can indeed wheelie them.
  • Thaba trails has uphills with uphills that end in uphills at the start.
  • To me building the bike as a 29er was the best choice I could make.
  • It's oh so quiet...
  • Respect the rigid. It will return the favor.
  • If you don't, you will not have a good time.
  • Chasing a geared bike down a fast single track is totally possible...
  • ... as long as your knees hold up.
  • Get on. Ride. Get off. Go home. No bull***t, no problems, no hassle.
  • The trail becomes your everything.

Funny enough I still have my 26er with all it's gears and squishy suspension and I still ride it once a week. I havn't converted to a die hard SS rider and I don't think I ever will but for those hours in the saddle on the SS I have a smile on my face. It's a smile you can't explain to gear heads. They need to experience it for themselves.

Thank you my little Swift

-

And don't you just love riding past someone and you hear them say to their mate - "F..k.... thats a singlespeed...."

Or better yet - this mornings laugh from a guy on a road bike - "IS that a singlespeed?" Yup - 1 gear, no shifters.... "Isn't it hard to ride?" No - rides pretty much like all bikes..

In his defence - he was doing sterling work trying to get his partner clipped in and going again after she was making a real meal of a re start at a traffic light just before this (see - I am not anti roadie at all - even asked if they needed help)

Saturdays I spend on the SS with the hub skills dev rides.

This past Saturday we had a group of wannabee racing snakes fly past on the downhill coming up to the second climb at NF. Not a single bit of decency from them to say "howzit". I engaged second gear and caught every one on the way up. Was *** funny to see the look on their faces.

Guy at Moddefontein was laughing his little fat ass off at me asking if Im in therapy. Told him the bike is my therapy. Caught him on the singletrack trying to carry his bike over a 30cm high tree stump in the way. Did a quick little hop over and carried on. Didn't give him **** either. He is the chop. I'm one with the trail.