Super Rocky & Technical... what's your strategy?

TheV

Finally took the SB-66 to Reitvlei today... and served me-self some few 14km's of the blue route goodness...

Ok reitvlei is SUPER ROCKY in some sections... especially the section of blue route winding up/over/down/around the main "mountain".

I don't know how many people actually go up here?

It's the section that hangs off to the left at the clearing by the old stables and winds up/down the mountain and then finally exits on the other side of the mountain at the back of the school...

My question is, what's your strategy for super rocky sections, with millions of rocks of all sizes...

Today I decided to try and pick a "straighter" line, and in the process just hitting some rocks head on, mostly aiming for the largest rocks and dropping off straight over them... this ends up being really fast, it's scary, but somehow I feel more confident to let go compared to weaving though the rocks..

I find that in tight, twisty and rocky sections you can easily stick your front wheel between two rocks, but then you inevitability end up dragging your back wheel over them in anycase because it's so tight and you have to steer into/out of corners?

I personally find it much smoother just taking a straighter "more confrontational line" v.s avoiding the rock with my front wheel but then being forced into a line by waiting for my back wheel to clear too?

Edited by TheV

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi V

I was about to ask the other option, going uphill over a very rocky section, normally this ends being in granny gear, very slow, I keep on lifting the front, if I lean forward then I end spinning the back, to much torque.

G

Finally took the SB-66 to Reitvlei today... and served me-self some few 14km's of the blue route goodness...

Ok reitvlei is SUPER ROCKY in some sections... especially the section of blue route winding up/over/down/around the main "mountain".

I don't know how many people actually go up here?

It's the section that hangs off to the left at the clearing by the old stables and winds up/down the mountain and then finally exits on the other side of the mountain at the back of the school...

My question is, what's your strategy for super rocky sections, with millions of rocks of all sizes...

Today I decided to try and pick a "straighter" line, and in the process just hitting some rocks head on, mostly aiming for the largest rocks and dropping off straight over them... this ends up being really fast, it's scary, but somehow I feel more confident to let go compared to weaving though the rocks..

I find that in tight, twisty and rocky sections you can easily stick your front wheel between two rocks, but then you inevitability end up dragging your back wheel over them in anycase because it's so tight and you have to steer into/out of corners?

I personally find it much smoother just taking a straighter "more confrontational line" v.s avoiding the rock with my front wheel but then being forced into a line by waiting for my back wheel to clear too?

Flip, it really got cold when the wind started blowing, check the Dassie's baking on the rocks... almost wanted to join them.

post-25478-0-57830500-1339175066.jpg

Ok, this qualifies as rocky.

balls to the wall and gunning it over those might get interesting.

G

Flip, it really got cold when the wind started blowing, check the Dassie's baking on the rocks... almost wanted to join them.

Hi V

I was about to ask the other option, going uphill over a very rocky section, normally this ends being in granny gear, very slow, I keep on lifting the front, if I lean forward then I end spinning the back, to much torque.

G

Uphill/Rocks/Tight = drop the reverb about 40% (5cm) and try to keep my weight over my BB and power up hard....

Its friday dude, its team meeting in the pub from 12-4pm then the elixer of life till sleepy time :D Im in my happy place.

Edited by covie

A technique that works well for me: get off and walk :blush:

Broke 3 crank teeth trying to ride over unridable rocks .I walk faster than most riders on those sections anyway.Next time it may be my carbon frame .Not worth it!.Part of good mtb skills is knowing when to walk

Broke 3 crank teeth trying to ride over unridable rocks .I walk faster than most riders on those sections anyway.Next time it may be my carbon frame .Not worth it!.Part of good mtb skills is knowing when to walk

Hey arendoog*, more talking about all mountain type riding, using-all mountain type bikes built specifically for this....

Edited by TheV

:thumbup: Its the only way around it,( Or should I say over it?) sure you may get it wrong from time to time but thats all part of riding MTB. Ilive for the technical parts of any trail.

What time were you there? Green shirt/jacket? I rarely get to ride there in the week, but had a chance today, was great to have the trail almost to myself...

Agree with the thought of going over them, though today I was on my skinny wheel, so slowly and carefully was the method of the day....

Stretched

TheV was there, finishing at 14:30, just as I got there, I rode till 16:00, did green twice, I was on a red Merida 26 'er, TheV was on a very nice 29'er/black..

G

Stretched

TheV was there, finishing at 14:30, just as I got there, I rode till 16:00, did green twice, I was on a red Merida 26 'er, TheV was on a very nice 29'er/black..

G

Wow, you both just insulted me...

awesme> my yeti actually has 26" wheels, i just go so fast it makes them look beeeeg like 29ers..

Stretched> i dont drink pink drinks, neither do i wear geen jackets... got there just before 13:00, left at 14:30...

Was sporting a white fox top with "green" socks tucked into my minnaars....