Super Rocky & Technical... what's your strategy?

TheV

I ride up there every so often ...... I still think that Wendel's revenge is the complete section up and over the climb and all the way to the rondawels and not just up to the right behind the houses :cursing:

In that section you speak of V I have to put a foot out every now and then and the one 'climb' I probably ride all the way 1 out of 3 times .....

In days gone by I always went straight up passed the rondawels and then down the 'old' pool downhill but us old perverts are not allowed near there anymore :( - my son and I cleared that by hand many many years ago to make it ridable, long before Wend's time ... they have done a much better job than we did though!

That section just after the Japanese garden still has me 'snookered', that one I make 1 out of 10 if I'm lucky :( - I assume we all take the right hand line at the Jap garden 'rockery' ;)

Edited by NotSoBigBen

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same question about that first climb at kings kloof, Im ik untill that step up close to the top. Has anyone ridden over that and if so how?

i.t.o. steep rocky descents, going up well if you stall you can recover easy enough, but going down is another story.

The issue is making the call whilst you still have momentum as to whether you can do it or not. Bailing out when you change your mind is not an option, as I have learnt painfully a few times. So you need commitment.

Kosmos

As i learned, it's to late when you knee is on the rock and your seat point is trying to dig itself a new hole into you thigh/ass joint spot, pretty blue atm.

Trick relearned on 2nd lap, go even higher cadence,

I generally dont have a problem going down stuff...

G

Edited by awesme

Momentum and commitment will get you through unbelievably rocky places. Practice makes perfect. Good, well set up suspension will help. Dropped saddle will help. Right bike geometry/type of bike will help. Knee, elbow and wrist protection will help if all the above fail.

Just got back from kings. I found that if I just send it, it works best on most if the rocks. Others just need practice.

Momentum and commitment will get you through unbelievably rocky places. Practice makes perfect. Good, well set up suspension will help. Dropped saddle will help. Right bike geometry/type of bike will help. Knee, elbow and wrist protection will help if all the above fail.

Yes, but answer my question, do you try fancy lines between rocks or do you take a straighter line over them?

Hows the party going V.

down hill, I normally try and go as straight as possible, considering the big one's I'm easier going over holes compared to over big rocks.

Uphill momentum is my problem, going round those large rocks just brakes the momentum following by a painful dismount.

G

Yes, but answer my question, do you try fancy lines between rocks or do you take a straighter line over them?

DJR fancies the lines that take him over the bars and into the rocks themselves, eh Dawid?

The straighter the better

DJR fancies the lines that take him over the bars and into the rocks themselves, eh Dawid?

Perhaps with my undeniable history of breaking limbs, I should rather refrain from giving advice. :D So, V, ignore all I said unless you have a good medical aid. ;)

Edit: I was serious about using protection because in the rock gardens you fall on sharp hard things and knees, wrists and elbows come off second. Also ,the protection will help you ride the gnarlies with more confidence and that is really usefull.

Edited by DJR

Wow, you both just insulted me...

awesme> my yeti actually has 26" wheels, i just go so fast it makes them look beeeeg like 29ers..

Stretched> i dont drink pink drinks, neither do i wear geen jackets... got there just before 13:00, left at 14:30...

Was sporting a white fox top with "green" socks tucked into my minnaars....

Sorry, no insult intended... :(

Sorry, no insult intended... :(

Hahaha, don't be polite on the hub, someone will end up noticing and taking advantage of you!

TheV, it looks so awesome it looks like a 29er

G

Hahaha, don't be polite on the hub, someone will end up noticing and taking advantage of you!

+1 for momentum. And in keeping a straight line over the big bumps without losing momentum, you have to try and absorb them, so it helps not having too stiffly pumped wheels but you dont want to bend the RIM either, so get a balance. And in going up-hill, commitment is no joke either, determined concentration is probably the hardest part because you have to keep speed up and choose the right lines, some rocks you just cannot get over...

Edited by Carrot