Specialized Epic 29er vs. Stumpjumper FSR 29er

ratherberidin'

If you have the guts to use the Stumpy FSR to its full potential, get it! Otherwise the Epic will be an awesome ride as well. All about your riding style as Ricky Bobby also said

Hmmm, buy a 26 Stunpy in Large, top spec; then realise you have sinned, change for the Epic, any Epic. I'll take the Stumpy off your hands for the appropriate discount.

Hi Hubbers,

We can debate Epic 29 vs Stumpy FSR 29 vs other competitors for hours, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so why not come and ride the bikes for yourselves, back-to-back, at our Test The Best events.

For the following two weekends we will have 28 bikes up for testing at the Modderfontein trails in JHB, so for more details contact your nearest Specialized dealer. We hope to see you there.

Regards,

Specialized Bicycles South Africa

One of these days I'm gonna buy a bike that 'is fast' or at least 'makes me faster', haven't found one of those yet and I even own an Epic :whistling:

So whats the differnce between a Stumpy FSR 26 and Stumpy FSR 29. I was under the impression that trail bikes were mostly 26" as you could throw them around a bit more. Big wheels for the flat and fast and small wheels for crazy trails??

Anyone ridden the stumpy 26 & 29 back to back and compared them?

You have no clue what you are talking about, if you buy an Epic you will just be wasting your time and money.

Saying that the Epic gives you the most confidence you have ever had on a bike is just the placebo/marketing effect of the Spez brand. The Epic is not supposed to make you confident technically, the Epic is built to make you fast and efficient. Face+Palm :cursing: :eek:

If you said the Epic increased your times and you went faster than usual then yes, it would have made some sense. You contradict yourself so badly - Nimble, HT, Plush, Brain = Confidence???? The Epic is supposed to give you performance...

Oh man, some people just cannot be helped.

You have not ridden one yet .All that i said and faster times if that makes you happy.I am the one that coined blingworks and pimpjumper.So i am not the biggest spez fan ,but that is a great bike and i am glad i had the oppertunity to find out for myself .I am planning to buy a pyga ds frame when the black ones come out

Have to agree with The V...so many other bikes available! And that yeti of his speaks directly to my heart! Well done son!

They are just a little far behind on the 29'er trend.

• 1 month later...

G'day Folks,

This has been breaking my brain the last few days..

It's time for a (serious) upgrade, and I can't decide between the race-pace, harder-on-the-arse Epic, or the "I don't climb so well but you should see me on the downhill" Stumpy.. I have ridden the Epic 29er, but have only heard claims about the Stumpy. Anyone care to share some thoughts? I mostly ride Gauteng, Groenkloof-ish rockies and marathon races and am quite good on the technicals, also bit of a bigger bloke @90kgs. (Scared of hurting the big wheels)

Any opinions/advice/comments welcome..

so what did you decide in the end ?

You have no clue what you are talking about, if you buy an Epic you will just be wasting your time and money.

Saying that the Epic gives you the most confidence you have ever had on a bike is just the placebo/marketing effect of the Spez brand. The Epic is not supposed to make you confident technically, the Epic is built to make you fast and efficient. Face+Palm :cursing: :eek:

If you said the Epic increased your times and you went faster than usual then yes, it would have made some sense. You contradict yourself so badly - Nimble, HT, Plush, Brain = Confidence???? The Epic is supposed to give you performance...

Oh man, some people just cannot be helped.

+1

I actually went and tried both the stumpy and the epic. The Stumpy inspired way more confidence and is way more comfortable. In fact, yes the epic is faster and more nimble, but I really did not enjoy the ride at all. If you are racing for podium, yes get the epic. For anything else the stumpy would be my preference. And don’t think the stumpy is slow or does not climb well (I tested the S-works version). The stumpy is not MUCH slower and it would be way faster on a technical downhill.

If I somehow won an epic, I would sell it. Yes, I race my guts out at every race that I partake in, but I still want to enjoy the ride. I don’t want to win whilst hating the ride…

Sure some people will love the epic, though I am not one of them. I suggest you try both out before you buy

• 2 weeks later...

I am actually in a similar position myself, but I am more torn between the camber and the stumpy fsr. I would say try a camber, as it fits in between the stumpy and epic perfectly. Unless you want to finish top 20 in races you won't really notice thee speed difference between the two bikes, but they do have very different riding styles. Stumpy has a 69 head angle the epic's is almost 71 degrees, also 130mm vs 100mm. Again the camber fits in with a 70 head angle and 110mm travel. The 2013 cambers have also been optimised as 29ers now, considering they don't come in 26er form any more.

Camber is a safe and sensible choice, it's a great bike. However who wants to be the sensible one?

Either take the sportscar (Epic) or the SUV (Stumpy)....

I vote STUMPY :clap: