Riding races and not know how to change a tube

STRADA

Forget the gender bias and yet-to-become tubeless converts. I wonder how many bombs and chain links I've handed out in the last two years - but all with a smile for my fellow MTB'er, including some old farts and lovely lasses. You see, at the back of the field it's a matter of survival, for body, mind and bike. If we don't look after each other, then afraid the grim sweeper will. I think I'm gonna practise changing my hanger tonight - haven't had that broken yet. And I always have two with me, so if you're one of the 3% who rides a Giant (based on previous posts) and your hanger breaks, it's your lucky day.

And let's not mention how long it took me on Sunday to try and remove my wife's front wheel with a stay thru axle ... expecting it to be a drop-out ... :whistling:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok - What is a bomb?

And before the comments start flying... yes, I am a noob. Get over it :w00t:

Same as guys standing on the side of the trail with a broken chain staring at their shiny top of the range never used chainbreaker and link and hoping that they'll have some mechanical epiphany.

Get an old chain from your LBS, buy a couple of links and practise breaking and re-linking a chain. At some point on a MTB you're going to break a chain or some part of your drive train that will entail breaking the chain to make a get-you-home repair.

Helped a guy in a race once, chain snapped on a climb. So here i come on my steed and think, aw well letrs do something good today. Stopped, gave him my chain breaker and he stares blankly at me .... mmmmm so, do you know how to use this thing. In the end i fixed his chain, mubled under my breath and took off. Nevertheless, i suppose sport/enjoyment and competing is two very different things. Reckon he fell into the former category. But dont get me wrong, i did something good on the day, should count for some angel points one day :)

Sounds like bull sh*t to me

What? Ridden every Epic or his total lack of mechanical skills? Do some research...

Must admit, I don't carry any spares, tubes etc. with me when I race... but I ride tubeless and have never, touch wood, had to change a tyre! :unsure:

I'm pretty sure I'd manage if the need arose... I may just need to ask for spares from a passer by... :whistling:

Ok - What is a bomb?

And before the comments start flying... yes, I am a noob. Get over it :w00t:

No sweat man, no stupid questions

a bomb is those little CO2 cannisters you see at the tills at your LBS, its a shot of CO2 that will rapidly inflate your tyre, you do need an adapter to use them though. Get one, you will always use it...

No sweat man, no stupid questions

a bomb is those little CO2 cannisters you see at the tills at your LBS, its a shot of CO2 that will rapidly inflate your tyre, you do need an adapter to use them though. Get one, you will always use it...

Cool - thanks.. I'll get one :)

Well get a couple of bombs(5 or so) and one adapter. I always try and carry two bombs when I ride. They are about 15-20 bucks a piece

What? Ridden every Epic or his total lack of mechanical skills? Do some research...

Shall I google it?....search for epic ****

Surely these woman are not out training alone. you watch people and learn very quickly what equipment you need. Even if you've never tried it before, bloody hell, get your hands dirty, sit down and change your own damn tyre, or fix your own chain. It may take half an hour but it's the only way you'll learn.

I'm disgusted with people who want to ride and not willing to put in the other efforts of riding. They probably have never washed their own bike either

Disgusting!!

Edited by Wonder Woman

Very important....When you use it, do not grip it like a joy stick(or whatever you grip in that manner)! It WILL freeze to your hand and burn like hell(will maybe take some skin). Hold it with a cloth or something...

I have given away 2 chainbreaker tools to guys who said they would find me after the race and return them. Well I am still waiting. No more for me. Look after no 1. That's it. I did help a girl once though who had fallen. She was pretty hot. Then when I got to the end she intrduced me to her husnand and told him I had helped her. There is just no winning in life.

Very important....When you use it, do not grip it like a joy stick(or whatever you grip in that manner)! It WILL freeze to your hand and burn like hell(will maybe take some skin). Hold it with a cloth or something...

Bwahahaha, very important to know ;)

Surely these woman are not out training alone. you watch people and learn very quickly what equipment you need. Even if you've never tried it before, bloody hell, get your hands dirty, sit down and change your own damn tyre, or fix your own chain. It may take half an hour but it's the only way you'll learn.

I'm disgusted with people who want to ride and not willing to put in the other efforts of riding. They probably have never washed their own bike either

Disgusting!!

Please will YOU forward this to my wife ... email address to follow.