Silicone balls in tubeless tyres

RoboLuke

I've changed a few tubeless tires and was amazed to see the size of the silicone ball (not exactly round) inside each time. Some of the tires I only changed like 4 weeks after the original stans dosage.

What cause this?

have you been using CO2 canisters to seat the tires?

that can cause coagulation of the liquid latex, long story short it makes the sealant more acid and the latex uses ammonia to stay liquid.

but I generally found that stans made nice little rubber balls and joes makes a nice evenly thick layer of rubber all around the inside of the tire, so i guess its a case of choosing your poison lol

Many theories...but ja the common denominator is stan's. Some say they grow if you bomb a tyre...but I have had them even when I didn't use a bomb. Stan's has ammonia in it and when this stuff breaks down there is nothing to keep the latex liquid anymore....booom round rubber balls.

When they start to grow, its a sign to change your stan's. Bombs do make them appear quicker but I don't think its the reason they are there...the co2 just accelerates the growth. Change your stan's every six months or so and you will be fine...that is if you don't use bombs.

Rubbish sealant that reacts to CO2 Bombs or just Rubbish sealant that runs dry.

Now before everybody moans we all have our favorite sealant.

Most prefer Stans/Joes which cause these Balls.

I used to be a Rep for OKO and frankly I still believe its the best due to it having been tested and used by the military, no other sealants can claim that to my knowledge.

OKO even has various grades depending on your application where no other sealants can say that.

No the 1st complaint will be OKO is to think it does not seal my wheel....Well sorry for you your wheel should seal without sealant in the 1st place if it is a proper tubeless tyre and rim. I do not mess with the half jobs.

OKO also lasts the lifetime of the tyre so will not dry out. I have done tests.

It also works the best with high pressure road tyres as the formula doesn't run out due to its thickness.

I bought some Caffe Latte the other day to try it out but one mate said its rubbish... I like to test myself and have use most sealants out on the market...

Oh when I was in Ireland I bought a Joes/Stans gel sealant. It is yellow. It works really well.

Only problem is now can we still find OKO??? I still have some of my last 20L drum lol....

On the positive side, those stans spiders are super fun to play with. Keeps me and my kids entertained for hours!

On the positive side, those stans spiders are super fun to play with. Keeps me and my kids entertained for hours!

They bounce like anything....

@rad006 I must still burn that GoPro footage for you, I have forgotten.

I don't run tubeless but another contributing factor that was identified where car exhausts. Some Hubbers have posted experiencing problems with their bike racks on their cars where the bikes wheel is too close to the exhaust.

You should do routine maintenance every 6 months - year on tubeless ie a clean out and re-slime with fresh solution- always interesting to see what has been cooked up in there, sometimes nothing.

Also true rim, re-tape is necessary, pull the thorns out the tyre.

Running Stan's I have those Alien's within a week or so!!!

Using Joe's, I run for months on end with no ET invasion...

Happy sealing

Running Stan's I have those Alien's within a week or so!!!

Using Joe's, I run for months on end with no ET invasion...

Happy sealing

When my current bottle of stan's is finished, I will give joe's a go.

I bombed one tire, the other one not - both had balls :whistling: , both tires were new...maybe that's it?

So maybe to hijack my own topic - how many stans cups do you put in your 29er tire?

I bombed one tire, the other one not - both had balls :whistling: , both tires were new...maybe that's it?

So maybe to hijack my own topic - how many stans cups do you put in your 29er tire?

Rather too much than too little...I have that injector thingy...1 and half syringe per 29 tyre

I used to get the "little free Stans Toys" too but pretty infrequently.

I now use Batseal and cant recall the last time I saw a white furry critter in my tire.

When my current bottle of stan's is finished, I will give joe's a go.

I use Joe's as well - never a hassle. even with CO2

I also use Joe's and Stans whatever I can get my hands on. I never get the promised toy!