Lance Armstrong Banned and Stripped of TDF Titles

101SCC

Biggest problem I have with all of these positive test is that all the people who have been involved in this cover up should be prosecuted as well . Can you imagine the amount of people that would have to be " silenced " to keep a doping spectacle like this under wraps for such a long time ?

The thing is many people weren't silenced and have been speaking out for years, only to be shouted down and rubbished by the LA PR machine.The world needs to hear the evidence though. It is there and there are many people who live in fear of it being made public. I totally agree that UCI must be exposed for their level of complicity and corruption.

As Kimmage and Walsh have said, it's not about Lance it's about cycling and the future of the sport. You have to burn it down to make a fresh start.

http://www.rte.ie/ra...75251%3A0%3A%3A

Edited by Lucky Luke.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some interesting comments from Pound:

"All of those elements will go in, I assume the final report will make all that clear. Personally, as a lawyer, I think the public at large would be more satisfied if there was the full blown process where Armstrong could make his case, and if the arbitrators believed him he would win and that would be the end of it. But he's chosen not to do that."

http://www.cyclingne...ion-for-cycling

Edited by Tumbleweed

On Friday morning, my sports-addled son was reading the newspaper. As I was hustling him, his friend and his sister out the door to camp, he asked, What happened with Lance Armstrong?

Deep breath. While this was not as tricky as distilling the birds and bees, it still required some fancy footwork.

Edited by Tumbleweed

I don't think that Armstrong has lost much really. The haters are still hating and the fans believe that he gave it all up to focus on Livestrong and his family. He's probably going to have to pay back the $7.5 mil bonus that he contested in court and his prize money. For someone worth $150 mill, that won't break the bank.

So, at the moment, for most, he's just a guy who got tired of the witch hunt. He's still one of the most succesful and wealthy athletes ever and most of his sponsors are sticking with him. (Haven't heard anything from Oakley though) So, he's actually still in the same boat, just with a different wikipedia page.

It has been said though that US Postal is investigating the situation and he could have to pay back significant sponsorship amounts. I doubt that will materialise though, as the sponsors already got their exposure that they paid for. The fact that he was stripped of his titles a decade later doesn't give you any less exposure.

Lastly, the thing that gets me is the statute of limitations issue...

Lastly, the thing that gets me is the statute of limitations issue...

Read that article through the link I posted to the top of the page, point 4. One opinion to your question/statement.

I don't think that Armstrong has lost much really. The haters are still hating and the fans believe that he gave it all up to focus on Livestrong and his family. He's probably going to have to pay back the $7.5 mil bonus that he contested in court and his prize money. For someone worth $150 mill, that won't break the bank.

And what if he is charged with perjury because of the testimony he gave under oath ? Or with Fraud ?

Jefferry Archer sued a newspaper for defamation and won after it published a report of him cavorting with a prostitute. He was subsequently jailed for perjury after it was found he had lied about his alibi.

I suspect the insurance company is not feeling particulary conciliatory at the moment.....

No.

But I do admire Indurain.

Contador for me is a "fly by night" rider who managed to rise to the top as he just happened to have an edge on his competitors at the time of his reign.

My opinion as it is, some will grill me for it and others will laugh at me for saying the above.

But as people say, haters gonna be haters.

I would love it if one could pose a small challenge to the armchair experts as myself and the rest of us out there.

Do 7 Cape-Epics in a row and finish mid pack.

And if the challengers feel they would like to dope, let them have that too.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Ultimately as much as machines we think we are and these athletes are, we all have an expiry date.

You don't like Contador, either his looks or personality or whatever, that much is clear. But to call him "fly by night" just makes you a hater.

He has won six grand tours because of that edge on his competitors, it's that EDGE that makes a winner.

He doped. He isn't my hero. But he can ride and if you think he can't then watch SS on Saturday through Monday to see what fly by night can do.

You don't like Contador, either his looks or personality or whatever, that much is clear. But to call him "fly by night" just makes you a hater.

Haters are always gonna be haters.

Does that make me any different to people who hate Armstrong ?

I guess self righteousness is probably the biggest bigot in this sport.

I will be keeping a good eye on the fly-by-nighter :thumbup:

He He, Dangle, you're right.

I'm not in love with either LA or the Spaniard but both sure are/were a joy to watch on the bike. This weekend is going to be fireworks.

He He, Dangle, you're right.

I'm not in love with either LA or the Spaniard but both sure are/were a joy to watch on the bike. This weekend is going to be fireworks.

I am rooting for Froome :thumbup:

Contador did impress me in the last tour he rode the day he attacked the Schlecks the way he did, it showed some class.

LA targeted the TDF, probably because it has always been the Meneer of races that even people (Americans etc....) not interested in cycling knew about. LIke the comrades marathon in SA everyone knows about it but who knows about the other much harder more prestigous ultra marathons?

Which is why i like to believe its feesible for a geneticaly talented athlete who trains seriously to not need to dope.

Add a whole season of racing to win onto your program and then it becomes a different story....

Just a theory

A la Ryan Sandes in the running world, who totally decimated the field in all of the Super Ultra Marathons in his first year of running them. Some people are just freaks.

\

This is a very valid bit of writing! I've put the content here as many probably haven't read it following the link. Sums up the state of affairs best!

Spencer’s note: Stratton’s views in the following piece don’t quite reflect my own opinion on the case (and therefore the position that Ritte the company has in regards Lance and doping in general), but I think it’s a great piece of writing and a view worth sharing. It’s also the last thing you will ever read about the subject on this site, because frankly I’m sick of hearing about it, Nancy Grace.

—– —– —– —– —–

Hardly valid, and clearly not objective. Stratton is a PR whore climbing on the Lance band wagon. And to lay the blame at the feet of cycling fans infuriates me. He seems to forget that the cycle fans are the people that buy his bicycles and make this the fantastic sport that it is.

I prefer the riposte by @Kiss_my_Panache over at Cyclismas: http://www.cyclismas.com/2012/08/opinion-my-response-to-the-ritte-sport-blog-post-on-lance-armstrong/