Schwalbe Tyres - Pffft

Cav'

For those running them tubeless, is there a trick to get them to seat properly on the rims? We had an absolute nightmare to get 2 of them to seat on full UST wheels last week - managed in the end, but it involved far too many people trying and I'm a little concerned about what happens when they burp out on a trail late at night! They are the Snakeskin version...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those running them tubeless, is there a trick to get them to seat properly on the rims? We had an absolute nightmare to get 2 of them to seat on full UST wheels last week - managed in the end, but it involved far too many people trying and I'm a little concerned about what happens when they burp out on a trail late at night! They are the Snakeskin version...

AM classic wheels?

The standard evo and the snakeskin version are worlds apart! I find the snakeskin version's grip is way better (I think it is due to the stronger sidewalls). Sure, this is not the best all-round tyre, but definately one of the best racing tyres IMO. Tyres like the Ron's will be better for racing but at a protection cost.

I have them on a set of custom ZTR crest wheels and Americam Classics. Both popped on absolutely no problem with just a gloop of Stan's. I have found previously that it's much of a mix and match with rims and tires and you do need to experiment a bit to find the right fit, both being UST doesn't mean they'll work with a specific UST rim.

The only foreward I must say if you do decide to upgrade to the snakeskin is don't expect them to have very good wear (at all). I replace back tire every 2 months (2500km) and front every 3, although I do ride often and hard.

Yes they are not the best wearing tyre...I like to think of them as the pirellis of the mtb tyre world(great race tyres)

The only foreward I must say if you do decide to upgrade to the snakeskin is don't expect them to have very good wear (at all). I replace back tire every 2 months (2500km) and front every 3, although I do ride often and hard.

I agree - bike came with Racing Ralphs and I did the tubeless conversion. Tyres wore down very quickly but I changed not because of the wear but because of the sidewall cuts. I have Geax rear and snakeskin front and it is very clear that the Racing Ralph wears much quicker! Satisfied with the performance but will probably replace with another brand when due.

Ya not sure - obviously i would like to just convert these to UST to save cost but damn they're thin tyres

dont bother, the Evo sidewalls are too thin to be trusted tubeless. Buy a set of Snakeskin tires for better peace of mind, and run them tubeless. The Ralf is a small block tire good for dry hardpack, if you find the front is a little sketchy, change it to something more aggressive like the Nobby Nic. Good tires, in the snakeskin version.

The rim bead is quite loose, you can fit these tires by hand with no levers, so you shouldnt pump it less than 2 bar, or you may find the tire burping air and yourself eating dust.

The rim bead is quite loose, you can fit these tires by hand with no levers, so you shouldnt pump it less than 2 bar, or you may find the tire burping air and yourself eating dust.

I have to wholeheartedly agree. I'm light (67kg) and I still find I need to run at least 2bar rear and 1,9 front to avoid burping and a strange tendency of the tire to crumple in very tight corners at low pressure. Still even withthis and the wear issues there's no way I'd go back, their performance is well worth it.

Edited by North Shore

Cav , those are the KAKEST tyres ever!! i rode mine once at Groenies too ( and only once ) , they dont corner they dont do any thing , i would not even give mine to the dog to play with !!

the best tire for the dale is Ritchey WCS and you about the same build as me , 1.9 to 2.0 bar works so well with these.

post-8504-0-11886100-1340002295.jpg

Cav , those are the KAKEST tyres ever!! i rode mine once at Groenies too ( and only once ) , they dont corner they dont do any thing , i would not even give mine to the dog to play with !!

the best tire for the dale is Ritchey WCS and you about the same build as me , 1.9 to 2.0 bar works so well with these.

Will check them out this week Iron :thumbup:

I have to wholeheartedly agree. I'm light (67kg) and I still find I need to run at least 2bar rear and 1,9 front to avoid burping and a strange tendency of the tire to crumple in very tight corners at low pressure. Still even withthis and the wear issues there's no way I'd go back, their performance is well worth it.

I run Schwalbe (Snakeskin of course) Racing Ralph and Nobby Nic combo on a 29er hardtail at 1.8 bar and I'm 85kg. I race hard and have never had a problem with the tyre bumping through to the rim or with coming close to burping the tyre (FYI running tubeless on ZTR Arch rims). The RAcing Ralph has done 3000km and needs to be replaced so the wear isn't great but IMO for the levels of grip and puncture resistance these tyres are hard to beat. This tyre is probably the most popular on the Epic and a number of top 10 teams were using them.

Yeah i bought the normal evo's just before the houwhoek challenge, mainly becuase it was pissing cats and dogs and i needed something a bit more aggressive for the mudfest i knew was comming, CWC had the rocket ron evo's for R250 so i though hell they only need to last one race so thats fair, bought them did the race was quite suprised that they held up.

decided it was too much effort to revert back to my ikon's ... big mistake, this weekend 19km into greyton classic I shredded that @#$@$@#$@ peace of @#$@#$ schwalbe like old peace of cheese, I can just thank my lucky stars it was in a corner and not going at 60kmh on the downhills.

So bugger that, only maxxis ikons and x-king for my they are the only tyres that i havent been able to destroy.