AM tyres... what you running?

patches

Hi all

(Newbie here so please don't bite..)

been following this thread to get some ideas for an upgrade, i've been checking out some online shops as well. Who's got the best price for MTB tyres?

is there a big difference between the 2.4 Conti MK II Pro (Protection and Blackckilli) and the one that has only the blackchilli, or does it just boil down to the TPI.?

regards

T

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all

(Newbie here so please don't bite..)

been following this thread to get some ideas for an upgrade, i've been checking out some online shops as well. Who's got the best price for MTB tyres?

is there a big difference between the 2.4 Conti MK II Pro (Protection and Blackckilli) and the one that has only the blackchilli, or does it just boil down to the TPI.?

regards

T

Yo Taahir,

the TPI refers to the compound that they use... it's called a durometer reading, and it shows how flexible the tread is (how much it'll grip)

in terms of the difference between the ones you ask about, yes there is a big difference. Both in weight (protection will weigh more) but also in resistance to punctures. The protection version will have stronger & thicker sidewalls, and will be much more resistant than the single ply non-protection version.

Regarding the Black Chilli, that's their version of sticky rubber. IOW - this tyre gonna GRIP!

Does anyone have some feed back on Maxxis High Rollers? In a desperate time I had to fit a 26x2.1" up front and I am super impressed with the grip! Thinking of giving the 2.35" or 2.5" a try on the longer travel bike. Anyone used it as an AM tyre?

Yo Taahir,

the TPI refers to the compound that they use... it's called a durometer reading, and it shows how flexible the tread is (how much it'll grip)

in terms of the difference between the ones you ask about, yes there is a big difference. Both in weight (protection will weigh more) but also in resistance to punctures. The protection version will have stronger & thicker sidewalls, and will be much more resistant than the single ply non-protection version.

Regarding the Black Chilli, that's their version of sticky rubber. IOW - this tyre gonna GRIP!

I think the compound you refer to is only for the tread rubber, whereas the TPI is the thread per inch count.. commonly 60 or 120. More tpi is stronger in overall tear resistance and shapes to the ground better, but is heavier. You touched on it in your post..

Does anyone have some feed back on Maxxis High Rollers? In a desperate time I had to fit a 26x2.1" up front and I am super impressed with the grip! Thinking of giving the 2.35" or 2.5" a try on the longer travel bike. Anyone used it as an AM tyre?

if they use it for DH, you can use any where else. Excellent grip and rolling, and surprisingly good at shedding mud. Can be somewhat unnerving in the transition from middle to side knobs, but that's a subjective matter. Stick to the 2.35 profile> the narrower the profile, the quicker it is to transition to the side knobs, so its less unnerving when the tyre starts to skid during the transition. The maxxis minion mostly removes that bit of skid, that is, it's more predictable when it does skid. On the High roller, it can be pretty swift, hence unnerving. But again, subjective.

Yo Taahir,

So TPI = the more thread, the better resistance to sidewall puncture (i assume your referring to snake bites or cuts from rocks) and more stiffer? or more flexible. the ProTek has 4ply/240Tpi.

Will i get the same grip outv the cheaper Non-protek version? (its only got 84Tpi though) the protek going for R505 at evans and standard 1 is R272

Oh... How do the MK II Pro compare to WTB wolverines or the Bronson? most forums says the MK II is the perfect all rounder?

I think the compound you refer to is only for the tread rubber, whereas the TPI is the thread per inch count.. commonly 60 or 120. More tpi is stronger in overall tear resistance and shapes to the ground better, but is heavier. You touched on it in your post..

Ah yes. Thanks for de-stupidifying my explanation...

I put a set of Maxxis Ardent 2.2" for training.

On my race wheelset I slapped some GEAX tyres on and they are running GREAT! I have the Mezcal 2.1 on the back and Sagauro 2.2 in front.

Rode the Magoebas 44km race over the weekend and they held up quite well in the mud and rain.

Will i get the same grip outv the cheaper Non-protek version? (its only got 84Tpi though) the protek going for R505 at evans and standard 1 is R272

Oh... How do the MK II Pro compare to WTB wolverines or the Bronson? most forums says the MK II is the perfect all rounder?

Same grip, yes - as long as they're of the same compound (black chili) and they have the same durometer reading)

BUT - you'll have a far better experience with the protection version, 'cos not only will it be less susceptible to punctures, but you can run the pressure lower (just a tad) thanks to the slightly stiffer sidewalls.

ITO comparison - MK2 would be better compared to the Bronson. The Wolverine is a rear only tire, IMO, and should be compared to the likes of the Race King or the Rocket Ron...

if they use it for DH, you can use any where else. Excellent grip and rolling, and surprisingly good at shedding mud. Can be somewhat unnerving in the transition from middle to side knobs, but that's a subjective matter. Stick to the 2.35 profile> the narrower the profile, the quicker it is to transition to the side knobs, so its less unnerving when the tyre starts to skid during the transition. The maxxis minion mostly removes that bit of skid, that is, it's more predictable when it does skid. On the High roller, it can be pretty swift, hence unnerving. But again, subjective.

Jip. Have the 2.35 on the front. Great grip and rolls well for the amount of grip provided. Went to Nobby Nic's for all of two rides and just missed the High Rollers too much, so went back to them. Aaaaaah.

Nope, i was referring to the overall Thread Per Inch. yes the cheaper version has only 3ply/84Tpi, (which my head says to me has weaker sidewall protection than the Pro version which has 3ply/240tpi.

But your explanation of TPI is crystal clear!! thanks!!

Jip. Have the 2.35 on the front. Great grip and rolls well for the amount of grip provided. Went to Nobby Nic's for all of two rides and just missed the High Rollers too much, so went back to them. Aaaaaah.

What do you have on the back?

Same grip, yes - as long as they're of the same compound (black chili) and they have the same durometer reading)

BUT - you'll have a far better experience with the protection version, 'cos not only will it be less susceptible to punctures, but you can run the pressure lower (just a tad) thanks to the slightly stiffer sidewalls.

ITO comparison - MK2 would be better compared to the Bronson. The Wolverine is a rear only tire, IMO, and should be compared to the likes of the Race King or the Rocket Ron...

OK, i was thinking of the 2.4 MK II pro front (basically bcz its a whole 300g lighter than the Queens, and i do prefer to cycle uphill to the start of my trail descent more often than not) and X-king Pro because of its high speed low rolling resistance reviews... (not sure of size yet, leanin towards 2.4... Would go X-king 2.2 but apparently they look skinny??? )

I'm with you on that.. having a hard time keeping the back on track with the Nobby Nic on the rear.. I'm sure I ride more on the folded sidewall than I do on the tread?! The tyre is already harder than I'd prefer andit's still folding in corners.

OK, i was thinking of the 2.4 MK II pro front (basically bcz its a whole 300g lighter than the Queens, and i do prefer to cycle uphill to the start of my trail descent more often than not) and X-king Pro because of its high speed low rolling resistance reviews... (not sure of size yet, leanin towards 2.4... Would go X-king 2.2 but apparently they look skinny??? )

Cool. Sounds good. And yeah - conti 2.2 is smaaaaaall!

The Maxxiss Advantage also rides like that, once you get used to it and trust that it will rip like a demon then it is amazing just how well and tight you can rail corners.....well that was back "then" .... now I ride like a girly girl.