AM tyres... what you running?

patches

R800 for a MTB tyre ..... damned that stings!

Paid R450 for a Spaz tyre from my LBS over the December period.

I'm seriously looking at buying 1 or 2 spares before the hike comes in from the rand slump. I reckon R1000 is not too far away.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would it be a trade secret or may we ask how you would fix it.... Coz now I am very curious

It's no solid fix but 90% of the time it works every time.

Basically I patch the tyre from the inside with a car tube patch and rubber cement (From Midas).

I then add super glue or rubber cement into the cut from the outside they bond the tyre rubber together as best as possible. There is debate about using super glue though as it sets pretty hard and might just crack making the super glue a waste of time. Hasn't happened to me yet.

Once that has had some time to dry I then stitch the cut up with a needle and cotton, going through the tyre rubber as well as the patch. Do not use dental floss or fishing line as you may find suggested elsewhere. They have no give or stretch so they tend to just pull through the rubber.

For an extra finishing touch, maybe over kill. I cover the stitching with super glue.

Firstly I must rave about the WTB Vigilante again. Bloody brilliant. and with the trailboss 2.25 at the back all is well in control. When things do slide is is very progressive and the front Vigilante grips just that bit more than the back to keep things in check. Other than debris, very loose, or snotty muddy they don't let go at all.

Will try the Onza tyres next but first I want MOAR WIDE wheels... and possibly a 150mm Pike

Edited by s14phoenix

It's no solid fix but 90% of the time it works every time.

Basically I patch the tyre from the inside with a car tube patch and rubber cement (From Midas).

I then add super glue or rubber cement into the cut from the outside they bond the tyre rubber together as best as possible. There is debate about using super glue though as it sets pretty hard and might just crack making the super glue a waste of time. Hasn't happened to me yet.

Once that has had some time to dry I then stitch the cut up with a needle and cotton, going through the tyre rubber as well as the patch. Do not use dental floss or fishing line as you may find suggested elsewhere. They have no give or stretch so they tend to just pull through the rubber.

For an extra finishing touch, maybe over kill. I cover the stitching with super glue.

Nifty trick that! I also thought of going to a tyre place and asking for those patches they use to bond the tyre after you had a cut in it. Fixed one of my cars tyres and its like brand new again!

Firstly I must rave about the WTB Vigilante again. Bloody brilliant. and with the trailboss 2.25 at the back all is well in control. When things do slide is is very progressive and the front Vigilante grips just that bit more than the back to keep things in check. Other than debris, very loose, or snotty muddy they don't let go at all.

Will try the Onza tyres next but first I want MOAR WIDE wheels... and possibly a 150mm Pike

My first thought was that WTB combo but sadly the powers that be are size-ist b@st@rds and wont bring in 26" anymore

Nifty trick that! I also thought of going to a tyre place and asking for those patches they use to bond the tyre after you had a cut in it. Fixed one of my cars tyres and its like brand new again!

Car patch's from Midas with a good rubber cement work well.

If I have to plug a tyre on the trail, when I get home I remove the plug and glue a patch to the inside of the tyre. I simply don't trust plugs as a permanent fix. 

Car patch's from Midas with a good rubber cement work well.

If I have to plug a tyre on the trail, when I get home I remove the plug and glue a patch to the inside of the tyre. I simply don't trust plugs as a permanent fix. 

I must be honest. My old hardtail has 2 plugs in the front and 3 in the back and after almost 1000km they still holding perfectly! I just wash the tyre when I get home and add some rubber cement to the plug and trim the ends to keep it looking neat... no hassles

Warrior, you spoke to me. Basically Onza are the only decent 26" tyres we can get. They are R620 per tyre. You have the option of running the Ibexes front and rear if you want a more aggressive set up. 

I would also give you the option of WTB if they still brought in 26" or if you had 27.5" wheels.

Warrior, you spoke to me. Basically Onza are the only decent 26" tyres we can get. They are R620 per tyre. You have the option of running the Ibexes front and rear if you want a more aggressive set up.

I would also give you the option of WTB if they still brought in 26" or if you had 27.5" wheels.

Thanks Robodog!I was deciding last night what option to go for and I made up my mind for the Onza setup.

I tried calling you guys yesterday but there was an issue with the lines coz I couldn't get through at all. We are hopefully riding that side this coming Saturday so I would like to bring the bike past then (if all goes to plan).

And just another thank you for the chat on the phone the other day, you were amazingly helpful. And that is so rare these days! Just based on that one call I have already told all my 26" riding buddies to go straight to you guys!

I only wish you guys were closer to me... I would end up being a fixture there!

Warrior, you spoke to me. Basically Onza are the only decent 26" tyres we can get. They are R620 per tyre. You have the option of running the Ibexes front and rear if you want a more aggressive set up.

Steal at that price.

You won't be sorry, warrior

Steal at that price.

You won't be sorry, warrior

I reckon I will most definitely be going for them! Will give them a call Monday morning early and make arrangements... Can't wait to get those new shoes for my girl and be able to ride without worrying constantly!

Wow those treads are mean looking! Now I really want em!

Those are some AWESOME looking wheels...love the colour!

Thank you, I think it looks pretty Austin Powers like :)

7367941cd5e6926048331afce98f0e3f.jpg

post-77392-1453576703,0906.jpeg

Edited by Fr33rider

Thank you, I think it looks pretty Austin Powers like :)

7367941cd5e6926048331afce98f0e3f.jpg

Looks wicked the way the rims pop with that frame colour... Love the shock factor! I agree with Eddy Gordo... Some shocking yellow grips would add to the look of the bike! Edited by WarriorMTB