AM tyres... what you running?

patches

That’s my thing too, all in with kit I’m probably like 69-70kgs, i ride like a girl but I’m terrible at rocks, smashed and damaged many a rear wheels

either very low pressure, or really flimsy tyres/rims..?

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes just pressure a tad too low. Rocks to the bead and logs to the core.

Many spots on my rear thanks to table mountain. Rocks through to the centre down pats and Ruperts. But then I'm a fat tabby.

The former is definite, I’ve started adding more consciously now, i used to be a klom op en ry type, too expensive replace rear wheels!

Last time I pinch-flatted a tyre was when I was rolling good old tubes and 2.1" tyres were considered to be butch....and no one knew of our good friend Stan's yet.

Last time I pinch-flatted a tyre was when I was rolling good old tubes and 2.1" tyres were considered to be butch....and no one knew of our good friend Stan's yet.

Tubeless has been a genuine god-send :thumbup:

The former is definite, I’ve started adding more consciously now, i used to be a klom op en ry type, too expensive replace rear wheels!

I'm afraid that even dik tyres and high pressures dont work every time. I'm having a new rear wheel for my HT built up at Bridge right now. The old Flow was quite tired, but its gone square since being on the HT, despite a Super Gravity Rock Razor and 30psi. 

I put a nasty ding in my Spaz rear wheel smacking a rock on a piece of green belt the other day - this with a 2.6 tyre, 30psi and 170mm travel. Tyre didnt take any strain and teh rim still works but a few more of those and it will also be square...

Rear rims are one of those expendable items - like chains and cassettes.

I'm afraid that even dik tyres and high pressures dont work every time. I'm having a new rear wheel for my HT built up at Bridge right now. The old Flow was quite tired, but its gone square since being on the HT, despite a Super Gravity Rock Razor and 30psi. 

I put a nasty ding in my Spaz rear wheel smacking a rock on a piece of green belt the other day - this with a 2.6 tyre, 30psi and 170mm travel. Tyre didnt take any strain and teh rim still works but a few more of those and it will also be square...

Rear rims are one of those expendable items - like chains and cassettes.

Spez rims are soft. Even I manage to ding them. Front wheel even went all wonky after cornering coming out off a lil 1 ft drop. 

Spez rims are soft. Even I manage to ding them. Front wheel even went all wonky after cornering coming out off a lil 1 ft drop. 

Yes, they definitely are. Reviews report the same. I think the softness is one reason why the tyre survived the hit so well.

• 4 weeks later...

So rear tyre options.

Maxxis minion SS or Aggressor? Currently running Ardent Race 2.35 which served me well for the summer months, but want more grip for winter, but fast rolling still - DHF2s were awesome, but just too sluggish. 

So rear tyre options.

Maxxis minion SS or Aggressor? Currently running Ardent Race 2.35 which served me well for the summer months, but want more grip for winter, but fast rolling still - DHF2s were awesome, but just too sluggish. 

NOT THE AGGRESSOR

Honestly, coming off the aggressor 2.3 and switched to the new 2.6 slaughter Grid in Gripton compound, and OMFS. The 2.3 slaughter was amazing, but this new one just rips it to shreds. 

ITO width - it's 1mm wider when fully inflated than a 2.35 magic mary (on 35mm ID rims) and it fits with tons of space to spare in the rear triangle of my reign. 

I would not consider any other tyre for the rear, TBH. 

They're fast when they need to be, have reasonable straight-line braking characteristics, but they grip like fk when you turn em over onto the side knobs. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Ordered a rekon 2.6 anyone using it here, what your thoughts?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

NOT THE AGGRESSOR

Honestly, coming off the aggressor 2.3 and switched to the new 2.6 slaughter Grid in Gripton compound, and OMFS. The 2.3 slaughter was amazing, but this new one just rips it to shreds. 

ITO width - it's 1mm wider when fully inflated than a 2.35 magic mary (on 35mm ID rims) and it fits with tons of space to spare in the rear triangle of my reign. 

I would not consider any other tyre for the rear, TBH. 

They're fast when they need to be, have reasonable straight-line braking characteristics, but they grip like fk when you turn em over onto the side knobs. 

Agree with you an spaz tyres. Trying out the new 2.6" Butcher Grid on the rear at the moment.

The tread on the new butcher doesn't roll as fast as the previous butcher but still not the worst rolling resistance I've had. 

My only issue with the Spaz tyres on the rear is that I seem to tear the side knobs at the base VERY quickly. I am a heavy guy and do like to get a little aggressive in the bends but I'm talking all the left side knobs are showing wear at the base after no more than 30Km of gravity fed trail. 

Last time I pinch-flatted a tyre was when I was rolling good old tubes and 2.1" tyres were considered to be butch....and no one knew of our good friend Stan's yet

I hadn't until last year when I holed 3x tubeless tyres in quick succession - 2 x back and one front. 

Agree with you an spaz tyres. Trying out the new 2.6" Butcher Grid on the rear at the moment.

The tread on the new butcher doesn't roll as fast as the previous butcher but still not the worst rolling resistance I've had. 

My only issue with the Spaz tyres on the rear is that I seem to tear the side knobs at the base VERY quickly. I am a heavy guy and do like to get a little aggressive in the bends but I'm talking all the left side knobs are showing wear at the base after no more than 30Km of gravity fed trail. 

I keep checking my Butchers, but even the rear one is holding up pretty well. I have been behaving myself with only the odd skid so that's probably helping. 

I am about to try a Rock Razor up front on my HT in an attempt to reduce the drag. No test rides yet, but I think it will be an easier pedal than before. Now looking for something tough but slightly less heavy than the super gravity version on the back.

My new butcher 2.6 seems to be pretty slow rolling... or it could be just be my legs.